British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

Big credit must be given to the Workington management to sticking with Bickley. They said at the beginning of the season that there was no pressure on him and they stuck by there word. Hope next season he kicks on fulfills his promise.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

At Home there is 6 number 1s... away i was nearly right though :D

I know what you mean but after hardly winning at all away in the last few seasons we had 3 away wins in the league and were unbeaten in the Shield group, winning easily at Glasgow and also at Edinburgh.

Edited by comet49
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phillipsr said:

At Home there is 6 number 1s... away i was nearly right though :D

Yep we have really struggled away - we only won at Peterborough, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle, Ipswich, and Rye House/Lakeside. We also drew at Berwick and Scunthorpe I believe and had very narrow defeats at both Redcar and Sheffield where we should have won both.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Has anyone heard any more if workington are running next season as I heard last night supposedly Kirkland carpets are coming in to help out wether this is true I don't no I hope it is as I don't want workington to close its the best  track there is the fans are awesome as always last night was one of the best nights ever the spirt of our team is amazing and the people that cheered on the boys showed why we need and stil love speedway in workington  I am quite scared that Mondays meeting against lakeside maybe the last ever meeting if the rumors I hear are right I will be heartbroken if it doe close I have gone to workington for 20 year and would hate it to close  like a say hope the rumours aren't true 

Edited by Cometfan4eva
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Yep we have really struggled away - we only won at Peterborough, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle, Ipswich, and Rye House/Lakeside. We also drew at Berwick and Scunthorpe I believe and had very narrow defeats at both Redcar and Sheffield where we should have won both.

Ok so the smily face and “nearly” weren't clear enough then.... I WAS JOKING... ive admitted i got it wrong... its quite sad you choose to pick fights on the internet as opposed to enjoying what a great team you have....

17 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Ok so the smily face and “nearly” weren't clear enough then.... I WAS JOKING... ive admitted i got it wrong... its quite sad you choose to pick fights on the internet as opposed to enjoying what a great team you have....

Sorry, not looking for a fight just being dopey and not realising you were joking.

15 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

you are quite welcome to air your thoughts and views on here . as cumbrians , we take everything with a load of salt . a quite incredible run of results in the last few months  for workington . amazing .  :o   :drink: :t:

4 hours ago, Cometfan4eva said:

Has anyone heard any more if workington are running next season as I heard last night supposedly Kirkland carpets are coming in to help out wether this is true I don't no I hope it is as I don't want workington to close its the best  track there is the fans are awesome as always last night was one of the best nights ever the spirt of our team is amazing and the people that cheered on the boys showed why we need and stil love speedway in workington  I am quite scared that Mondays meeting against lakeside maybe the last ever meeting if the rumors I hear are right I will be heartbroken if it doe close I have gone to workington for 20 year and would hate it to close  like a say hope the rumours aren't true 

I very much doubt Worky will be running next year, I’ve been going since 1978 but even I am a youngster compared to some fans who were there since the start in 1970:blink:

I’ve heard today that they’re trying to find somewhere for them......then a stadium would be needed. A councillor had told a relation this. 

Edited by comet49

12 minutes ago, comet49 said:

I’ve heard today that they’re trying to find somewhere for them......then a stadium would be needed. A councillor had told a relation this. 

So does this if they were successful in achieving in finding somewhere then speedway would continue at workington 

if Workington run next year im sure it will be at Derwent park 

the simple fact is not enough money coming in for to run at moment either more sponsorship and /or more paying fans

is needed 

Edited by scaramanga
typo
  • Like 2

Perhaps trophies could bring more sponsorship in. Until it's said we're finished I'll have a little bit of hope.

Edited by comet49
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, comet49 said:

Perhaps trophies could bring more sponsorship in. Until it's said we're finished I'll have a little bit of hope.

Nothing brings in sponsorship than success and trophies and Workington have that this season, I hope we see them race next season though it does show the state the speedway has come to that arguably the best team may not be there to defend their title.

• Like 2

and theres your bit of land your looking for !