Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

Only problem if did have speedway at Carlisle Airport is fans who don't have transport wouldnt able to get there  can we build it down near the old steelworks that got knocked down 

5 hours ago, Cometfan4eva said:

Only problem if did have speedway at Carlisle Airport is fans who don't have transport wouldnt able to get there  can we build it down near the old steelworks that got knocked down 

I have a sneaking feeling that "Stobart Air" might have a teensy weensy issue if you build a speedway track on their newly laid runway !  It would also make an interesting touch down if you have just travelled with them from Dublin !!  

Carlisle airport has lots of land 

few years ago there was a track well away from runways for radio controlled cars  which held some big meetings there not just the little toy things but the proper serious things doing around 60mph and more 

there is more than enough land in this area for a speedway track 

theres even been rally special stages held there 

Only been to Workington this 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:15 AM, phillipsr said:

At Home there is 6 number 1s... away i was nearly right though :D

I was at Workington for the final  as a Scunny supporter. I feel for you loosing  your track.  Scunny is on their 3rd track so we've been through it twice. Not nice.! I agree.. you have 6 No 1s at home. You certainly have a massive home advantage. Don't jump I'm not saying you didn't deserve to win.  You did. 

43 minutes ago, June said:

I was at Workington for the final  as a Scunny supporter. I feel for you loosing  your track.  Scunny is on their 3rd track so we've been through it twice. Not nice.! I agree.. you have 6 No 1s at home. You certainly have a massive home advantage. Don't jump I'm not saying you didn't deserve to win.  You did. 

The feeling seems to be if it goes it won’t be back, good coverage in local press today. Cheers.

Edited by comet49

2 hours ago, June said:

Workington track is normaly fairly neutral  but this season the team is very strong at home 

no trick lines at Derwent park 

• Like 2

News and Star  Saturday October 27th 2018 Page 5 -- Laura Appeals For Financial Backing to Allow Comets to Continue in 2019

Through the News and Star Laura has admitted she cannot afford to fund the running of the Comets in 2019. She is appealing for financial backing to continue and would be happy to consider offers from people coming on board as sponsors, investing in the club or even buying the club from her but that time is of the essence with the BSPA Annual General Meeting set to be held next month. 

Although any possible business involvement is outside the control of the average fan we can still play a big part in any multi point financial backing strategy.

Some 3 years ago when the concept of the Friends of Workington Speedway now known as the Workington Speedway Trust was first deliberated 40 people pledged at the opening meeting to contribute £500 in order to help secure the future of the sport and team we love . Unfortunately for whatever reasons the large majority of those pledges were not fulfilled. 

Regardess of the in and outs of the concept this vehicle is still in place for those fans who would rather see the club continue than be lost to them and the area possibly for ever. If just 40 people are willing to donate £500 a season that is £20 000 before anything else is raised. This would greatly help underpin the financial security of the club as part of a bigger financial strategy.

Its up to us all as fans of the club to ask ourselves the question, would i rather help or see it go !!!

NB The £500 figure is what was originally talked about and is only used as an example of what could be achieved.

Best Regards

SteelShoe

• Like 1

Any one on here who knows any fans that have stopped going or an Companys that may wana sponsor the comets please show this and help save workington comets speedway as this is what means to us 

_20181028_091746.thumb.JPG.52186f92059f1fa5d7d9d5f93c3e0adf.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

News and Star  Saturday October 27th 2018 Page 5 -- Laura Appeals For Financial Backing to Allow Comets to Continue in 2019

Through the News and Star Laura has admitted she cannot afford to fund the running of the Comets in 2019. She is appealing for financial backing to continue and would be happy to consider offers from people coming on board as sponsors, investing in the club or even buying the club from her but that time is of the essence with the BSPA Annual General Meeting set to be held next month. 

Although any possible business involvement is outside the control of the average fan we can still play a big part in any multi point financial backing strategy.

Some 3 years ago when the concept of the Friends of Workington Speedway now known as the Workington Speedway Trust was first deliberated 40 people pledged at the opening meeting to contribute £500 in order to help secure the future of the sport and team we love . Unfortunately for whatever reasons the large majority of those pledges were not fulfilled. 

Regardess of the in and outs of the concept this vehicle is still in place for those fans who would rather see the club continue than be lost to them and the area possibly for ever. If just 40 people are willing to donate £500 a season that is £20 000 before anything else is raised. This would greatly help underpin the financial security of the club as part of a bigger financial strategy.

Its up to us all as fans of the club to ask ourselves the question, would i rather help or see it go !!!

NB The £500 figure is what was originally talked about and is only used as an example of what could be achieved.

Best Regards

SteelShoe

After being at Rye House yesterday  and witnessing how lack lustre it was there it really made me realise what a travesty it would be for us to lose Speedway in Workington  :sad: The Workington Speedway Trust is still alive and kicking we can all be part of saving our Speedway . £500 can sound a lot but just think it could be 200 people putting £100 in, 100 people putting £200 , if we lose Speedway this time I fear it will never come back ..what an awful thought !!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Taylorj said:

After being at Rye House yesterday  and witnessing how lack lustre it was there it really made me realise what a travesty it would be for us to lose Speedway in Workington  :sad: The Workington Speedway Trust is still alive and kicking we can all be part of saving our Speedway . £500 can sound a lot but just think it could be 200 people putting £100 in, 100 people putting £200 , if we lose Speedway this time I fear it will never come back ..what an awful thought !!

Totally agree Taylorj. Looking at home meetings alone of which there will be around twenty this season the average adult will have spent around £370 on admission and a program alone. Thats without attending any away meetings, food etc. During the off season its feasible fans could save some of this money possibly without missing it too much although i realise everyone has different circumstances.

• Like 1

just to say a very very big congratulations to all connected with workington comets this season on your championship final win and your k.o cup final win.very well done

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well done Workington and to all connected with the club after a hard season congratulations hope you are still running next year

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Huge congratulations to everyone involved with Workington Speedway.

Thoroughly deserved win to become 2018 Championship League winners.

Well done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1