British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

16 hours ago, scaramanga said:

but the unwritten rule /gentleman's agreement would have stopped others trying to sign a gp rider if they weren't on the nice list

14 hours ago, jenga said:

i see what you are saying. the gentlemen,s    agreement . that prove that there are NO  gentlemen is speedway and its run by the corrupt few for their own personal gain and sod the rest . is that right godman ?

I couldn't possibly confirm or deny your comments,  however it must be stressed nothing done was outwith the current rules, no rules were broken by a Championship team signing a GP rider and don't forget it was sold I believe as being "in the best interests of Speedway" so that always makes it alright doesn't it?, but I think everyone knows as to whose best interests it was in. After all there is nothing to say Carlisle FC couldn't sign David De Gea, Sergio Ramos, Luca Modric, Eden Hazzard, Neymar, and Ronaldo if they had the money or a sugar daddy to bankroll the side. However its all just Fantasy Football as we know 1. These guys would never come as its to cold and wet for them on the Costa del Solway. 2. As a positive though if they did come the crowd would go up by 6,000 at least 3. Unfortunately revenue would go down as none of the 6,000 would pay to get in, being that they would all be family, friends and sponsors of the players, commonly known as the "Hangers on" 4 The true fan base would be alienated and crash due to the traditional Pie and Pint being replaced with Caviar and Champagne. 5. The real fans will be priced out of the sport with escalating costs making entry fees beyond the reach of the common working class fans pricing them out of there sport of choice. 6. When the superstars left the true fans who had stopped coming due to watching total mismatches in games and/or being priced out of the stadium would never return and be lost to the sport for ever resulting in the club closing and the stadium being turned into a Parking Lot for a garage selling second hand cars. 7. Every other club in the league go bust because the wages offered by Carlisle totally outweighs the return and collapsed the system as fair play rules went out of the window. 8. The whole thing reverts back to an armature or semi professional sport and everyone says they can remember the good old days.

Never mind we will say we had a good run while it lasted and we can be patronising and sympathise with all and sundry while laughing out "tadgers" off at what caused the problem in the first place.

Regards
THJ

• Haha 1

Are you ok now THJ having got that out of your system.....bet you are having a well earned cuppa?

Oh and didn't see any Toon players in that Carlisle Utd. line up......?

44 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

I couldn't possibly confirm or deny your comments,  however it must be stressed nothing done was outwith the current rules, no rules were broken by a Championship team signing a GP rider and don't forget it was sold I believe as being "in the best interests of Speedway" so that always makes it alright doesn't it?, but I think everyone knows as to whose best interests it was in. After all there is nothing to say Carlisle FC couldn't sign David De Gea, Sergio Ramos, Luca Modric, Eden Hazzard, Neymar, and Ronaldo if they had the money or a sugar daddy to bankroll the side. However its all just Fantasy Football as we know 1. These guys would never come as its to cold and wet for them on the Costa del Solway. 2. As a positive though if they did come the crowd would go up by 6,000 at least 3. Unfortunately revenue would go down as none of the 6,000 would pay to get in, being that they would all be family, friends and sponsors of the players, commonly known as the "Hangers on" 4 The true fan base would be alienated and crash due to the traditional Pie and Pint being replaced with Caviar and Champagne. 5. The real fans will be priced out of the sport with escalating costs making entry fees beyond the reach of the common working class fans pricing them out of there sport of choice. 6. When the superstars left the true fans who had stopped coming due to watching total mismatches in games and/or being priced out of the stadium would never return and be lost to the sport for ever resulting in the club closing and the stadium being turned into a Parking Lot for a garage selling second hand cars. 7. Every other club in the league go bust because the wages offered by Carlisle totally outweighs the return and collapsed the system as fair play rules went out of the window. 8. The whole thing reverts back to an armature or semi professional sport and everyone says they can remember the good old days.

Never mind we will say we had a good run while it lasted and we can be patronising and sympathise with all and sundry while laughing out "tadgers" off at what caused the problem in the first place.

Regards
THJ

Are you feeling ok THJ, having got that out of your system? Bet you are having a well earned cuppa?

Didn't see any Toon player in the Carlisle FC upsurge?

2 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Are you ok now THJ having got that out of your system.....bet you are having a well earned cuppa?

Are you feeling ok THJ, having got that out of your system? Bet you are having a well earned cuppa?

Didn't see any Toon player in the Carlisle FC upsurge?

google chrome doing it's worst at mo..

49 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Ha ha just a bit? But "it's all done in the best possible taste"

A doubt some of the "Plums" in the Toon side would get a game for the Reds at the minute

Feel sorry for poor Rafa having a billionaire boss who wont spend any money on the team because he's a Tottenham fan

Regards
THJ

Here is a quick question I hope someone can help me with

Derwent Park has an official capacity of 10,000 with a record (Rugby League) attendance of 17,741 against Wigan in the March of 1965, (no problem its a big spot and I get that) however  Borough Park it states has a capacity of 3,101, of which 500 is seated (which seems about right) yet I have read that during the 1957–58 season they played Manchester United at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, attracting a record crowd of 21,000 and I can also remember (vaguely) that I came across with Newcastle in (I think) the late 70's early 80's and the place was packed out, with what I assume was a crowd of around 5 or 6 thousand (maybe more), I was only a kid at the time and I may have inflated that figure over the years but the spot as I remember was packed out; however was this the same stadium (or were we in Derwent Park) as not knowing the area then as I do now it just doesn't seem possible or feasible.

So the question is this; have the Reds always used Borough Park and if so has there been radical ground/stadium works to reduce the capacity, and is my memory serving me correct and could there have been a crowd of 5/6 thousand at that friendly or were we; as away fans; just shoe horned into a corner which made it appear there was more in than I estimated?

Regards
THJ

13 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here is a quick question I hope someone can help me with

Derwent Park has an official capacity of 10,000 with a record (Rugby League) attendance of 17,741 against Wigan in the March of 1965, (no problem its a big spot and I get that) however  Borough Park it states has a capacity of 3,101, of which 500 is seated (which seems about right) yet I have read that during the 1957–58 season they played Manchester United at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, attracting a record crowd of 21,000 and I can also remember (vaguely) that I came across with Newcastle in (I think) the late 70's early 80's and the place was packed out, with what I assume was a crowd of around 5 or 6 thousand (maybe more), I was only a kid at the time and I may have inflated that figure over the years but the spot as I remember was packed out; however was this the same stadium (or were we in Derwent Park) as not knowing the area then as I do now it just doesn't seem possible or feasible.

So the question is this; have the Reds always used Borough Park and if so has there been radical ground/stadium works to reduce the capacity, and is my memory serving me correct and could there have been a crowd of 5/6 thousand at that friendly or were we; as away fans; just shoe horned into a corner which made it appear there was more in than I estimated?

Regards
THJ

The 'Reds' have always used Borough Park.....and the capacity was usually around the 20,000 mark....

But nowadays there is no longer a Main Grandstand, think it might have been taken down due to the Bradford episode..there are a few seats now placed on the 'popular side..ok must be approx 500 if it says so somewhere....(but I've counted them..ha) anyway their placement does considerably take away the standing room on pop side..therefore reducing the overall capacity of the stadium.

Back in the day Reds had crowds of  five figures versus Carlisle in the league, Notts Forest in FA cup, Chelsea in League Cup..don't recall the Newcastle friendly at all....

.And Worky Town pulled in similar crowds (20,000+) at Borough Park for cup ties versus St.Helens and Warrington.

The Derwent Park record is as you say 17,741 (I was there)....even the grassed area of the third and fourth speedway bends was packed...wish we could see similar at DP, for both sports, again.....dream on eh!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

What has always intrigued me about Derwent Park...a stadium completed in 1956....is the fact that the terracing was built in an oval shape. Why?.....did the original planners foresee speedway eventually taking place at the stadium, or perhaps greyhound racing was to be accomodated?.......... Anyone know?

5 minutes ago, singy13 said:

The 'Reds' have always used Borough Park.....and the capacity was usually around the 20,000 mark....

But nowadays there is no longer a Main Grandstand, think it might have been taken down due to the Bradford episode..there are a few seats now placed on the 'popular side..ok must be approx 500 if it says so somewhere....(but I've counted them..ha) anyway their placement does considerably take away the standing room on pop side..therefore reducing the overall capacity of the stadium.

Back in the day Reds had crowds of  five figures versus Carlisle in the league, Notts Forest in FA cup, Chelsea in League Cup..don't recall the Newcastle friendly at all....

.And Worky Town pulled in similar crowds (20,000+) at Borough Park for cup ties versus St.Helens and Warrington.

The Derwent Park record is as you say 17,741 (I was there)....even the grassed area of the third and fourth speedway bends was packed...wish we could see similar at DP, for both sports, again.....dream on eh!!!!!!!!!

Seeing the "Times and Star" clipping that Laura shared on Facebook , I can't believe they are going ahead with a new stadium for the "two biggest" :nono: sports in Workington , Reds and Rugby , just casting aside Workington Speedway , its disgraceful, no disrepect to Town and the Red's but surely Workington needs all 3 in the town, considering we probably pulling in the biggest crowd and the most successful this season :angry:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Seeing the "Times and Star" clipping that Laura shared on Facebook , I can't believe they are going ahead with a new stadium for the "two biggest" :nono: sports in Workington , Reds and Rugby , just casting aside Workington Speedway , its disgraceful, no disrepect to Town and the Red's but surely Workington needs all 3 in the town, considering we probably pulling in the biggest crowd and the most successful this season :angry:

Yeah not good.....it was on being told about new stadium that I started Derwent Park thread last month...speedway seems out of the plans.

Although some latest comments seem to be fuelling hope that the 'new stadium' isn't gonna be built as soon as first envisaged.

Towns' crowds are currently biggest of the  three sports........

38 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Yeah not good.....it was on being told about new stadium that I started Derwent Park thread last month...speedway seems out of the plans.

Although some latest comments seem to be fuelling hope that the 'new stadium' isn't gonna be built as soon as first envisaged.

Towns' crowds are currently biggest of the  three sports........

When I read Tsunami's post on the other thread that the Comet's first meeting back brought in 4000 fans and the crowds regularly hovered around the 2000 mark its amazing and then added to this both the football and rugby clubs in recent times have had average crowds in the thousands what do these people do now for a hobby as they cant all be armchair enthusiasts surely?

Even with successful teams it still cant bring in the crowds and that's not just Worky, Ged Rathbone stated his 2 lowest crowds this season have been in their last two matches which were in the Play Off/Cup/Shield (whatever stage the Boro/Lakedside epic's are at) and if these matches cant bring in additional support what can? Very sad!!!

Regards
THJ

7 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

When I read Tsunami's post on the other thread that the Comet's first meeting back brought in 4000 fans and the crowds regularly hovered around the 2000 mark its amazing and then added to this both the football and rugby clubs in recent times have had average crowds in the thousands what do these people do now for a hobby as they cant all be armchair enthusiasts surely?

Even with successful teams it still cant bring in the crowds and that's not just Worky, Ged Rathbone stated his 2 lowest crowds this season have been in their last two matches which were in the Play Off/Cup/Shield (whatever stage the Boro/Lakedside epic's are at) and if these matches cant bring in additional support what can? Very sad!!!

Regards
THJ

It's a continuing mystery where the majority have gone marra..............but Speedway always attracts their best crowd on an opening day for new club..

Workington crowds, for all three clubs, do not seem so bad considering the population of the laal town is only 25,000.......compare that to the Peterborough populous of 198,000 and it doesn't seem so bad does it?

Good travelling fans too from Worky.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, singy13 said:

It's a continuing mystery where the majority have gone marra..............but Speedway always attracts their best crowd on an opening day for new club..

Workington crowds, for all three clubs, do not seem so bad considering the population of the laal town is only 25,000.....

aye . thanks to the scissor sisters of evil .

dont mess wid dees babies .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Workington crowds, for all three clubs, do not seem so bad considering the population of the laal town is only 25,000.......compare that to the Peterborough populous of 198,000 and it doesn't seem so bad does it?

You are not wrong Marra, however don't forget the Jam Eaters and my mob at Maryport (the jam factory and apparently my house was built on the very spot the Jam Factory used to be located making me a "Down Streeter"!!! as I am from "Down Street" like eh!!!), the Spatri lot, Carlisle, Egremont, Whitehaven, Torpenhow, (trepenna? really!!!), Bagrow, (Ba'gra? Nah!!!) Seaton, Siddick, Flimby, Blindcrake, Mosser, Dovenby, Tallentire, Bridekirk, Redmain, Brandlingill, Cockermouth, Keswick, Penrith, Crosby and the Villa and not forgetting Greysouthen (Gra'soon? give over!!!) and any other great laal spot where Comets fans travel in from. oh and of course not forgetting Workington itself.

Spell check loved some of them names mind!!! ha ha!!!

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You are not wrong Marra, however don't forget the Jam Eaters and my mob at Maryport (the jam factory and apparently my house was built on the very spot the Jam Factory used to be located making me a "Down Streeter"!!! as I am from "Down Street" like eh!!!), the Spatri lot, Carlisle, Egremont, Whitehaven, Torpenhow, (trepenna? really!!!), Bagrow, (Ba'gra? Nah!!!) Seaton, Siddick, Flimby, Blindcrake, Mosser, Dovenby, Tallentire, Bridekirk, Redmain, Brandlingill, Cockermoth, Keswick, Penrith, Crosby and the Villa and not forgetting Greysouthen (Gra'soon? give over!!!) and any other great laal spot where Comets fans travel in from. oh and of course not forgetting Workington itself.

Spell check loved some of them names mind!!! ha ha!!!

Regards
THJ

I'm sure the venue I've compared populous with .i.e. Peterborough will also house many close-by laal villages, with the odd Panthers residing there....even with the 'jameaters' (me) and Scaryport included there wont be anywhere near 200,000+ within the Comets catchment. ) Strange kind of 'moth' you mention THJ....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, singy13 said:

I'm sure the venue I've compared populous with .i.e. Peterborough will also house many close-by laal villages, with the odd Panthers residing there....even with the 'jameaters' (me) and Scaryport included there wont be anywhere near 200,000+ within the Comets catchment. ) Strange kind of 'moth' you mention THJ....lol

Spell check still didn't like it even with the "U" in where it should be LOL

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key word
  • Haha 1