British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

19 minutes ago, jamlad said:

Interesting conversation int pub last night..so Workington 99% finished as of 31st October !! Just a question ..,why haven't they publicised this to all and sundry like Ford at Poole and Rathbone p'boro ,to try and sell instead of just folding more than likely through a newspaper come next weekend ? Have they not wondered why no fundraises or out have been this season, not sure what Workington Trust donations were like but after the negativity of closing all the time is it any wunder folk haven't chucked in their £500's . I know I haven't but had I heard something like "we are struggling we need your help to continue Speedway" or "lets pull together to keep it" total different matter ...Track shop still selling hoodies etc, how fair is that folk still buying merchandise for what 3 meetings , Stadium will end up the excuse . the crowds in last couple of meetings have been well up just shows a lot of people still very much want Speedway in Wukington . its going to be a crying shame the most popular sport in the town is going down the pan !!!

Laura cannot continue to lose money week in week out, and I don’t blame her cause I know for sure I wouldn’t. Looking at recent posts on social media, it’s clear that speedway isn’t greatly thought of in the town. Not being part of the new stadium plans (probably by our own doing, an idiot wouldn’t sign a 50 year lease for speedway) has highlighted that, the track gets in the way of viewing for the other 2 teams fans. 

Big crowds or not for the last few meetings, if the comets were to continue running they would only have the use of Derwent Park for probably 1 more year. 

It has been made public that there was a party interest in becoming the new owners of Workington Speedway. But that would also come with the responsibility of finding a location for and building a new track in the area. So no surprises that they soon lost interest. 

It is indeed a crying shame, as this time when it closes, I don’t think we will see speedway again in Workington. And to go out potentially as treble winners will be very bittersweet.

Maybe a consortium could be a possible idea? 

• Like 4

we all have to think positive about the future of speedway in workington . until that time comes , we still have support the sport and club as much as we can .we could not have had a better advert for the  sport that we have had in the last few weeks .

get your coat,hat comfy boots out tonight and dont forget your W/warmer .

38 minutes ago, jamlad said:

Interesting conversation int pub last night..so Workington 99% finished as of 31st October !! Just a question ..,why haven't they publicised this to all and sundry like Ford at Poole and Rathbone p'boro ,to try and sell instead of just folding more than likely through a newspaper come next weekend ? Have they not wondered why no fundraises or out have been this season, not sure what Workington Trust donations were like but after the negativity of closing all the time is it any wunder folk haven't chucked in their £500's . I know I haven't but had I heard something like "we are struggling we need your help to continue Speedway" or "lets pull together to keep it" total different matter ...Track shop still selling hoodies etc, how fair is that folk still buying merchandise for what 3 meetings , Stadium will end up the excuse . the crowds in last couple of meetings have been well up just shows a lot of people still very much want Speedway in Wukington . its going to be a crying shame the most popular sport in the town is going down the pan !!!

• Like 2

Agree that it'll be awful if it it finishes, ironic too if we've won trophies.  I've heard the same about tracks round pitches, takes the atmosphere away.  Come on Sellafield, track needed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, comet49 said:

Agree that it'll be awful if it it finishes, ironic too if we've won trophies.  I've heard the same about tracks round pitches, takes the atmosphere away.  Come on Sellafield, track needed!

No floodlights needed as everything and everybody will have that nice green after glow...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, comet49 said:

Sellafield won't support motorsports, that was the answer they gave northside anyway. 

10 hours ago, jamlad said:

There were / are still a few of us who pay in but we've (or at least I have) been told to cancel my direct debit as they don't know if they'll be running next year. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Speedway4ever said:

Is it rumour the club is folding or losing it's base?

A new stadium is to be built for RL and Soccer..with no speedway track...and Derwent Park to be demolished...this is going to happen in the next 2 yrs.....

4 minutes ago, singy13 said:

A new stadium is to be built for RL and Soccer..with no speedway track...and Derwent Park to be demolished...this is going to happen in the next 2 yrs.....

So sad as i've enjoyed coming over from Middlesbrough the past few seasons to support the Comets. It will be sad if it's lost. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, kevcfc said:

Sellafield won't support motorsports, that was the answer they gave northside anyway. 

Ok, didn’t know about that, thanks for replying. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 9:56 PM, phillipsr said:

Looks a team of second strings... whos winning races?? Think Bewley will end up as number 1 by the end of the year 

On 1/3/2018 at 9:56 PM, phillipsr said:

Looks a team of second strings... whos winning races?? Think Bewley will end up as number 1 by the end of the year 

Bach Jensen Klindt Proctor Bewley Campton Bickley lol.

Edited by comet49
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, comet49 said:

Bach Jensen Klindt Proctor Bewley Campton Bickley lol.

Already said i got it wrong... i thought Worky looked pretty poor but thats the great thing about sport...  

15 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Already said i got it wrong... i thought Worky looked pretty poor but thats the great thing about sport...  

Fair enough, had missed that, couldn’t resist. We weren’t highly rated in Speedway Star either, you weren’t alone..

Just now, comet49 said:

Fair enough, had missed that, couldn’t resist. We weren’t highly rated in Speedway Star either, you weren’t alone..

At Home there is 6 number 1s... away i was nearly right though :D

• Like 1