Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

11 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I think that's a question of swings and roundabouts. Some can make Fridays, some Saturdays. You can see the logic in moving to Friday with Cook riding in the GP's - there's every chance people will stay at home to watch a truly local boy race at the sports highest level. 

The problem to me is less about the day and more about the irregularity of fixtures but that affects almost very club, not just Workington.

I'd say run every fortnight until June and then pack the fixtures in every week until the end of August. At least people might be able to get into a regular habit.

Yes HT, I can see your point but the fact remains that "for me" it's "LIVE" speedway that will ultimately save or finish the Comets? As has been said, you can record the GP's you cant record a Comets home match, bums on seats provides your income and, tho there's no accounting for taste, it's live racing that should win out especially if your struggling with a lack of support? :(

I'm a Saturday man and it's been speedway night for nearly twenty years it's what we're used to and for the most part it's what people expect, I think we've gotten well out of the habit of Friday racing but, it remains to be seen whether the small crowd from the weekend will transfer to the Friday and at the very least the club will stand still or, it becomes a nightmare with even less turning up or, it's the formula we're looking for....we can only wait and see!! :t:

Regular racing you say, now there's a novel idea!! :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Yes HT, I can see your point but the fact remains that "for me" it's "LIVE" speedway that will ultimately save or finish the Comets? As has been said, you can record the GP's you cant record a Comets home match, bums on seats provides your income and, tho there's no accounting for taste, it's live racing that should win out especially if your struggling with a lack of support? :(

I'm a Saturday man and it's been speedway night for nearly twenty years it's what we're used to and for the most part it's what people expect, I think we've gotten well out of the habit of Friday racing but, it remains to be seen whether the small crowd from the weekend will transfer to the Friday and at the very least the club will stand still or, it becomes a nightmare with even less turning up or, it's the formula we're looking for....we can only wait and see!! :t:

Regular racing you say, now there's a novel idea!! :D

Absolute agree on live speedway but you simply have to take account of what else is occurring on your race nights. In my view, teams that run up against England's World Cup fixtures would be crazy and the situation with Cook and his GP's is somewhat the same. 

I also think that Saturday's simply aren't working so the club is trying something different. Whether it works - as you rightly say - remains to be seen. 

I really think that regular racing is a must wherever possible. Pack your speedway in when the weather is likely to best and run fortnightly otherwise - at least people know where they stand.

16 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

The "ODD" Friday, it's half a season's worth!! :)

What I can't understand is why, with only twelve teams in the league the powers that be still cant come up with a fixture list that provides for regular racing?

Out of sight out of mind really does bugger your crowd levels? :(

Eleven, actually, but I see where you are coming from regards fixtures.  Start later? Finish earlier?  It's not rocket science!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Absolute agree on live speedway but you simply have to take account of what else is occurring on your race nights. In my view, teams that run up against England's World Cup fixtures would be crazy and the situation with Cook and his GP's is somewhat the same. 

I also think that Saturday's simply aren't working so the club is trying something different. Whether it works - as you rightly say - remains to be seen. 

I really think that regular racing is a must wherever possible. Pack your speedway in when the weather is likely to best and run fortnightly otherwise - at least people know where they stand.

It's all well trying to cram in speedway when the weather is more favourable, the trouble is you end up with weekly fixtures in a very short period, with nothing for weeks on end.

I have booked to go on holiday for a month from the 26th July, in that period we are due to have 5 home league fixtures, infact we have 6 home league fixture in a 6 week period.  Considering the season started in April, for me personally our home meetings have been crammed into to short of a period.

I am more keen on the league side of speedway than cup's, would like to have seen the  league start before the cup's, with these kicking in later. That way, if your team is having a poor show in the league you still have the cup comps to look forward to and hopefully keep the fans still enthused.

This time last year we already had 5 home championship and 1 KOC meeting, this year 2 home championship shield meetings so far. If it was not for the forum, then there is very little to keep me motivated and I end up doing other things in my spare time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StevePark said:

Eleven, actually, but I see where you are coming from regards fixtures.  Start later? Finish earlier?  It's not rocket science!

Quite!! :t:

19 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Wouldn't agree on Craig Cook.... he can be recorded, especially on current form, :D England however probably not, although IMO they really should be to save on the misery, tho I might be in a minority of one on that!! :rofl:

Reading the fixture list earlier HT, Sat June 2nd home v Glasgow in the Championship Shield, nothing on the 9th, meeting cancelled on the 16th due to some concert, reserved day on the 17th but no one to fill it, home v Glasgow in the league on the 23rd.....regular racing you say, well if nothing comes of that reserved day we are going to be due another 3wk break in fixtures at DP bookended by the same team?

I read Steve Park's post earlier and it's looking almost like our 6mth season is going to be crammed into the last 3mths, start late finish early is very much on the cards without us even trying? ;)

19 hours ago, Gismo said:

It's all well trying to cram in speedway when the weather is more favourable, the trouble is you end up with weekly fixtures in a very short period, with nothing for weeks on end.

I have booked to go on holiday for a month from the 26th July, in that period we are due to have 5 home league fixtures, infact we have 6 home league fixture in a 6 week period.  Considering the season started in April, for me personally our home meetings have been crammed into to short of a period.

I am more keen on the league side of speedway than cup's, would like to have seen the  league start before the cup's, with these kicking in later. That way, if your team is having a poor show in the league you still have the cup comps to look forward to and hopefully keep the fans still enthused.

This time last year we already had 5 home championship and 1 KOC meeting, this year 2 home championship shield meetings so far. If it was not for the forum, then there is very little to keep me motivated and I end up doing other things in my spare time.

The idea is to get regular speedway, not gaps for weeks on end or three fixtures in three weeks and then nothing for a further three weeks. If you read the comments on this forum, it is repeated many, many times that the haphazard pattern of fixtures puts people off attending - and you have pointed to that.

The trophy campaign is little more than a warm up, so start running that fortnightly - along with maybe an open meeting -  the middle/end of March. Then bang the  league fixtures/KO Cup in from the beginning of June to the end of August (a period of 13 weeks that allows for the odd rain off). Playoffs at the beginning of September. 

I am sure its not as simple as that, but its got to be better than weeks missing and playoffs in October.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Wouldn't agree on Craig Cook.... he can be recorded, especially on current form, :D England however probably not, although IMO they really should be to save on the misery, tho I might be in a minority of one on that!! :rofl:

Reading the fixture list earlier HT, Sat June 2nd home v Glasgow in the Championship Shield, nothing on the 9th, meeting cancelled on the 16th due to some concert, reserved day on the 17th but no one to fill it, home v Glasgow in the league on the 23rd.....regular racing you say, well if nothing comes of that reserved day we are going to be due another 3wk break in fixtures at DP bookended by the same team?

I read Steve Park's post earlier and it's looking almost like our 6mth season is going to be crammed into the last 3mths, start late finish early is very much on the cards without us even trying? ;)

Definitely not in the minority of one. It'll be the same as usual - huge expectation and then falling flat on our faces.

We simply have to make use of the best months weather-wise for racing as more people attend and there's less chance of rain off's.  Little racing in June and then desperately trying to fit everything into July, August & September is daft.

The thing is this isn't just Workington. Virtually all the Championship clubs are the same.

• Like 1

By the time Workington go to Lakeside tomorrow they'll have had 8 away and only 3 matches at home. Bearing in mind the home ties are supposed to generate the revenue to pay the riders (home and away) the promotion are to be lauded for being able to fund these eight away fixtures  in the hope that revenue from home matches will in the end balance the books. Heaven forbid the weather's bad on Saturday then we could be looking at 10/3 away-home nigh on unsustainable. Fingers crossed for Saturdays weather and a good crowd to go with it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Duckbill said:

By the time Workington go to Lakeside tomorrow they'll have had 8 away and only 3 matches at home. Bearing in mind the home ties are supposed to generate the revenue to pay the riders (home and away) the promotion are to be lauded for being able to fund these eight away fixtures  in the hope that revenue from home matches will in the end balance the books. Heaven forbid the weather's bad on Saturday then we could be looking at 10/3 away-home nigh on unsustainable. Fingers crossed for Saturdays weather and a good crowd to go with it. 

Doesn't look like its only Workington being affected , Sheffield fans weren't happy last week when we were down , they had only had 2 home meetings too..crazy really through no fault of the Promotion/riders/fans .. another 3 weeks after this Saturday without a home meeting :(. I'm sure with the visitiors being Glasgow on Saturday and if we win we progress to the next round of the Shield, Laura should get a good crowd...lets pray for this weather to stay

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

Doesn't look like its only Workington being affected , Sheffield fans weren't happy last week when we were down , they had only had 2 home meetings too..crazy really through no fault of the Promotion/riders/fans .. another 3 weeks after this Saturday without a home meeting :(. I'm sure with the visitiors being Glasgow on Saturday and if we win we progress to the next round of the Shield, Laura should get a good crowd...lets pray for this weather to stay

agree wid ya . 

all those fancy meeting , like gp qualy etc shoule be run @ the start of the season so as not to disrupt the U.K. scene .

So it now seems riders aren't getting paid that's why they are under performing , Rene the first mentioned on another thread :angry: fans to suffer once again , its like de ja vu ...wasn;t he the one whinging last time he rode for us about not getting paid ... then they (powers at be) wonder why the season goes ** up at Worky . Rumours starting already that this is last season for the Comets :rolleyes: