British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

Well I went to Workington twice this season and there wasn’t 300 fans at each meeting, I was very surprised when the BSPA Press Statement stated that all of this season teams would be back next season, the Promoter there is a really nice lady I spoke to her on one of my visits, but she must be losing a hell of a lot of money I really feel sorry for her.

well dont know what meetings you went to maybe meet the rider meetings in the bar

i admit there were some really poor crowds but there was never any meetings less than 300

WORKINGTON

1 Chris Harris 8.26

2 Ben Barker 8.15

3 Ty Proctor 7.38

4 David Howe 6.18

5 Mason Campton 5.74

6 Matt Williamson 4.74

7 Kyle Bickley 2.00

Total 42.45

Wheres Dan Bewley

more to the point ,whats bomber doing in the workington side .

david howe is now like a loaf of bread in aldi. if you dont eat it quick , it will go off .

like the barker idea tho .

wee bewley will be in bed right now catching some new moves , like the one to workington !

looking for somewhere local so he concentrate on his main job at Belle Vue

i will go with that option .

Maybe they don't want too many Friday night tracks as it would mean very few 'Guest' options for missing riders?

Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Scunthorpe mean six out of eleven teams will be riding on a Friday..

Now the Premiership won't be riding on a Friday there would be a fair few options for Guests but if say eight out of the eleven teams rode on the same night then those options reduce accordingly..

And what night is Lakeside riding? Has a Friday slot been left for them?

There won't be weekly official fixture home speedway for all tracks in the Championship, or the season will be finished completely by July!

Won't matter if six teams used Friday night as they won't all be racing each week at home anyhow!

The Friday teams would simply have a home fixture each fortnight and NOT be all at home at once (Obviously impossible for six to be at home with only 11 teams!) The fixtures would have to be planned of course, but with Edinburgh and Glasgow both now Friday night tracks, do you think the Edinburgh fixture compiler is going to have them both at home each week?.

After all, 3 of the official fixtures are against each other so plenty of options to avoid clashes, and of course each team has to ride away from home on some Fridays against the other tracks.

Of course each Friday track may have to use an "Off-Night" occasionally, but that would be very much understood by the likes of Workington.

The key to this is good fixture planning. After all, this was voted on at the AGM, so most Championship clubs must welcome fortnightly racing!

Look at the Premier for example..... I assume they are still doing 2 Home and 2 Away of course (Unless it will be a mega short season!)

Following your logic......

On any given week, half the teams will be at home on a Monday, meaning ALL teams are in action that night, meaning NO guests from the Premiership!

On the same week, the other half of the teams are at home on a Wednesday, meaning ALL teams are in action. meaning NO guests from the Premiership!

On these occasions those without a Premiership team place are going to be in demand at some point, and are not in some cases going to be up to the standard of those they are replacing!

Of course this will not be true each week as each Monday/ Wednesday track would have three home meetings against another team using the same race-night, and more importantly, each team will not have an official Home fixture each week.

Back to the Championship....

The number of guests from the Premiership will be severely limited anyhow, as most of the eligible guests will already be riding in the Championship! What we are going to essentially have are two leagues with a lot of the same riders of course. The top end guys in the Premiership won't be eligible to guest through their averages being too high anyway!

The whole point of fixed race nights is to ensure that all the double-uppers are always available for their respective teams. (With the exception of Swindon and the Thurs Championship tracks)

As at least half of the Premiership are at home on the same night, WHY can't half the Championship teams also race on the same night?

Edited by yellow and black

There won't be weekly official fixture home speedway for all tracks in the Championship, or the season will be finished completely by July!

Won't matter if six teams used Friday night as they won't all be racing each week at home anyhow!

The Friday teams would simply have a home fixture each fortnight and NOT be all at home at once (Obviously impossible for six to be at home with only 11 teams!) The fixtures would have to be planned of course, but with Edinburgh and Glasgow both now Friday night tracks, do you think the Edinburgh fixture compiler is going to have them both at home each week?.

After all, 3 of the official fixtures are against each other so plenty of options to avoid clashes, and of course each team has to ride away from home on some Fridays against the other tracks.

Of course each Friday track may have to use an "Off-Night" occasionally, but that would be very much understood by the likes of Workington.

The key to this is good fixture planning. After all, this was voted on at the AGM, so most Championship clubs must welcome fortnightly racing!

Look at the Premier for example..... I assume they are still doing 2 Home and 2 Away of course (Unless it will be a mega short season!)

On any given week, half the teams will be at home on a Monday, meaning ALL teams are in action that night, meaning NO guests from the Premiership!

On the same week, the other half of the teams are at home on a Wednesday, meaning ALL teams are in action. meaning NO guests from the Premiership!

On these occasions those without a Premiership team place are going to be in demand at some point, and are not in some cases going to be up to the standard of those they are replacing!

Of course this will not be true each week as each Monday/ Wednesday track would have three home meetings against another team using the same race-night, and more importantly, each team will not have an official Home fixture each week.

The number of guests from the Premiership will be severely limited anyhow, as most of the eligible guests will already be riding in the Championship! What we are going to essentially have are two leagues with a lot of the same riders of course. The top end guys in the Premiership won't be eligible to guest through their averages being too high anyway!

The whole point of fixed race nights is to ensure that all the double-uppers are always available for their respective teams. (With the exception of Swindon and the Thurs Championship tracks)

As at least half of the Premiership are at home on the same night, WHY can't half the Championship teams also race on the same night?

I followed your logic in every paragraph till your last one. Why having solved the problem, do you want to go back and get situations where some DU's are riding for their proper clubs in say the PL, and not available for their second club in the CL, if they are riding that night as well. Different nights means NO conflicts.

I followed your logic in every paragraph till your last one. Why having solved the problem, do you want to go back and get situations where some DU's are riding for their proper clubs in say the PL, and not available for their second club in the CL, if they are riding that night as well. Different nights means NO conflicts.

I think youve misinterpreted this paragraph, I interpreted is if in top flight half the teams can all ride at home on the same night then surely they could do the same in championship on a Friday as its not clashing with the prem! If its good enough for top league should be good enough for champ too! Hes not suggesting half champ clubs ride same night as prem

Edited by 89buttons
  • Like 1

I think youve misinterpreted this paragraph, I interpreted is if in top flight half the teams can all ride at home on the same night then surely they could do the same in championship on a Friday as its not clashing with the prem! If its good enough for top league should be good enough for champ too! Hes not suggesting half champ clubs ride same night as prem

Yes. yellow and black and I have had PM's to clear up the misunderstanding. No problem and I liked their post.

• Like 2

Track availability!!

For example at Newcastle it's Sunday (with the very occasional loss making Monday) or nothing!

What he means is that in the Premiership, half the teams will ride on a Monday & half on the Wednesday & in the Championship 5 or 6 could ride on Fridays.

Unless there are changes,

on a Thursday, there are Sheffield, Redcar & Ipswich.

on a Friday, there are Edinburgh, Scunthorpe, Glasgow & Peterborough(Sundays were, also, used)

on a Saturday, there are Berwick & Workington

on a Sunday, there are Newcastle

Lakeside I am not sure about

What he means is that in the Premiership, half the teams will ride on a Monday & half on the Wednesday & in the Championship 5 or 6 could ride on Fridays.

Unless there are changes,

on a Thursday, there are Sheffield, Redcar & Ipswich.

on a Friday, there are Edinburgh, Scunthorpe, Glasgow & Peterborough(Sundays were, also, used)

on a Saturday, there are Berwick & Workington

on a Sunday, there are Newcastle

Lakeside I am not sure about

EXACTLY! The whole point to my post is to reason why Workington have been refused to race on a Friday, irrespective of Glasgow and Scunthorpe changing to Fridays.

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Scunthorpe, Peterborough, Lakeside (?) and Workington would make six in total which is perfectly manageable given the amount of fixtures at this level

Track availability is now a lot more restricted on a Saturday, so why should Workington not race on their chosen night?

The fixtures dictate enough Fridays in the season for 5 or 6 to have it as their race-night.

There will not be weekly racing at Championship level unless a team choose to run a dozen or more open meetings!

Assuming a 50-50 split between Monday and Wednesday in the Premiership means 50 per cent of the league race on any given night. If it turns out that 3 race on one and 5 on another it would be 62.5% of the league racing on the same night!

The track IS available at Workington on Friday's as that is the night they want to race!.

Just ride Saturdays their is no GP 14 matchs in 7 months and cook can turn up to watch

Just ride Saturdays their is no GP 14 matchs in 7 months and cook can turn up to watch

Already been said that the stadium has been used on Saturdays for other things too. If we could only guarantee dry Saturdays for speedway...

Edited by comet49