British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

someone a bit special

Can anyone match the success of Per-Olov Serenius, Ice Racer. Not only is he 2 times World Champ, 3 times World Team Champion, 8 times Nordic Champion and 14 times Swedish Champion, he is also 54 freakin' years old. I challenge anyone to put someone up against this man. And how much publicity has he received? Very little. He is the Russkies worst nightmare. Watch him fly next year at 55 years old. Boof,... score one for the old guys! 25 consequetive World Ice Fials... Everyone is welcome to try and beat that record, especially the precious young uns on the upswing... Good luck Posa! The Sandman {Soon to retire, as I have had my say} !!!

You carry on Sandman! :D

I have to say ice-racers are freakin' nuts! :lol: I've been to Inzell a few times to watch it and can only think that they go out having sniffed the alcohol fumes that come from the crowd. You're right though - Posa is something else! Not many other sports where you could continue to be up the top at that age although wasn't there a rumour that they wanted him to quit a while back?

Dont know if they wanted him to quit, but think he went in the last round this year as reserve and won it. Cant imagine the shape he must be in at his age to be competitive, as Ice Racing is extremely demanding physically. I hope someone sooner or later will recognise this great man, his accomplishments will certainly never be repeated. I guess it takes a Swede to do this. EVERGREEN is the word for him. However, at his age maybe after one more year, he may think of retirement as he has nothing else to prove. Lessons learned for the wise... you are only as old as you feel... Cheers.. Sandman

I hope to go to Assen next year to see ice speedway for the very first time and look forward to seeing this guy race. I have heard so much about him and I believe next year will be his last.

Taking absolutely nothing away from his exploits on the ice, he was a bit of a disappointment at Briggo's Extreme Races last year.

There was a big build up for his attempt on the track record at Brandon, but he had problems getting round and the time for his first race was 63.9. After putting more spikes on his wheels, his second ride produced a time of 61.9 which is about the same for conventional Speedway, give or take a second or two.

Incidentally the all time Coventry four lap record is held by ex-World Ice Speedway Champion Alexander Balashov, who zipped round the 303 metre circuit in just 55 seconds five years ago.

Tony Rickardsson holds the Speedway track record - at 58.9 seconds on 27th July 2002.

Didn't Bruce Cribb break the track record on his ice bike at Coventry during the Golden Greats in 1988?? Anyone know what sort of time he did back then ?

i suppose the nearest we get to it with conventional speedway is Ivan Mauger winning in Poland 1979, just 1 month before his 40th birthday.

Can't even see TR being at the top of the tree in 7 or 8 years time.

You would know more about this than me, having raced yourself, but maybe the demands of Speedway are so great, so many matches, that the burn out rate is just that much higher than Ice Racing, since their schedule and season is small comparatively. :?

I think the ice racing is a great spectacle. But I think that it really is like a separate sport altogether. So I don't think it can be compared with the conventional speedway. The surface, bikes, riders and technique are all different.

At one time there were a few who did both: Cribb, Stenlund, Verner bros, Evitts, Spinka. But now I don't know of any who crossover, not sure why this is though.

I think it is called common sense! :lol:

I think it is called common sense! :lol:

I think you're probably right Sandman. :D

Maybe the Ruskies' desperation to get out from behind the Iron Curtain was what drove them to be so good at the crazy sport in the first place. ;)

I think the ice racing is a great spectacle. But I think that it really is like a separate sport altogether. So I don't think it can be compared with the conventional speedway. The surface, bikes, riders and technique are all different.

At one time there were a few who did both: Cribb, Stenlund, Verner bros, Evitts, Spinka. But now I don't know of any who crossover, not sure why this is though.

Ales Dryml Sr to name another, and am I mistaken or has Toni Svab tried his hand at it? Im sure he was riding in the Roelof Thijs Trophy in 2001 at Assen...