British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teaboy279

Winter Open/xmas Meeting

So I ve been wondering if any National League club would be willing to run a winter meeting.

The last official one organised was Coventry a few years back which got cancelled. But I am relatively confident from twitter and Facebook that the crowd was set to be very good. I know we had 2 cars of people planning on going in my family alone.

Whilst many riders have completely hibernated I am pretty confident a decent standard field could be assembled. For similar sized attendance sports (bangers, non league football) the boxing day events are some of the best attended.

Despite the cold weather it's always easier to drag family members to sports they are not interested in at the festive period.

I ve made a few enquiries about running winter meetings, so know that these have to be autherised by the bspa and given a licence to run, and there is a restriction of a maximum of 1 meeting a month allowed (across the country, amateur meetings not included in this.)

How many people on here would like to see a winter speedway meeting or 2, I for one would love it.

Not for me personally. I like a break from it. I don't mind the team building side of things, seeing who's signed for who but I've just no interest in watching the racing tbh. Winter means football for me and going to random little grounds on a Tuesday night or Saturday afternoon. Then come February/March time it's time to switch back to speedway lol

Winter meeting ????

Is`n`t there enough of them in March/October :D

Went to a few the Scunny one was freezing I actually left before the end it was that cold. Like the idea but the reality is a different thing

Went to a few the Scunny one was freezing I actually left before the end it was that cold. Like the idea but the reality is a different thing

Is that a little like Buxton in July 💨⛈🌨🌂☔❄ 😁

Speedway is a Summer sport that relies heavily on the weather.

Why on earth anyone would consider going to a meeting in the middle of winter is above me, and something that I have never understood.

• Like 1

Used to really enjoy the winter indoor meeting at Brighton,would something like that be possible these days ?

Indoor meetings are fine. For me personally, I'm still thawing out after the golden jubilee at Hackney in February 1978!!!

I long ago ruled out speedway in March and October !

The Speedway season should be from June till August :D

Today's Iwade meeting rained off