British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2018

1 hour ago, eaglesno1 said:

3 people, on twitter, have guessed that the 'shake up' is that the Dugard's are selling up and the Eastbourne twitter has re-tweeted them. Does this indicate that this is what it is?

As they own the stadium can't think after all these year's they'd be selling up, but both have said how busy they are with their jobs.Perhaps they'll stay as ' directors ' of the club, but relinquish the weekly running of it. Perhaps after involving him after his injury last year making Mark Baseby team manager?

4 hours ago, gazzac said:

As they own the stadium can't think after all these year's they'd be selling up, but both have said how busy they are with their jobs.Perhaps they'll stay as ' directors ' of the club, but relinquish the weekly running of it. Perhaps after involving him after his injury last year making Mark Baseby team manager?

Team manager? He will be in the team lol

Well that was a lot of huff and puff about a colour change and a possibly short sighted one at that? Obviously its great that it is nothing negative towards the running of the club but i feel the PR machine is misfiring slightly here

Just now, Sings4Kings said:

Well that was a lot of huff and puff about a colour change and a possibly short sighted one at that? Obviously its great that it is nothing negative towards the running of the club but i feel the PR machine is misfiring slightly here

Completely disagree. Its so much more than just a colour change. Its a complete re-branding and new approach to marketing. Maybe it will all fizzle out and all we will see in a years time is the same ole, same ole but just a different colour.

BUT, the talk about the need to market and re-brand to get people to come to watch is what we have been wanting to hear for years. 

Its also a relief. For me the rumours and guesses that the Dugards were selling would have felt a little like the beginning of the end for me.

There have been numerous attempted new approaches to marketing over the years by numerous clubs and most have failed. However i do believe Eastbourne will have some successes as they are astute people at the helm but in order for marketing to be a success it requires nationwide cooperation of all clubs not a single approach.

As for the colour / rebrand im afraid that Eastbourne will lose their easily recognised identity and fall into the neon fad brigade.

I've been led to believe over the years that green is not a lucky colour in sport, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Sings4Kings said:

There have been numerous attempted new approaches to marketing over the years by numerous clubs and most have failed. However i do believe Eastbourne will have some successes as they are astute people at the helm but in order for marketing to be a success it requires nationwide cooperation of all clubs not a single approach.

As for the colour / rebrand im afraid that Eastbourne will lose their easily recognised identity and fall into the neon fad brigade.

I think we (and the sport) could all be dead if we wait for  nationwide cooperation of all clubs.

You have to applaud Eastbourne for having a go...what they say is very true.

If you keep doing the same things you will get the same results (or worse).

Can ride in any colours they like, as far as I am concerned - and long as I have speedway to watch.

• Like 1

I give them credit for creating interest in the team, which a lot of clubs don’t bother doing anymore. 

• Like 2

Well with knight not back and Bailey at mildenhall we must get wood back would be a disaster to loose all of those 3

Can see spilled in the team. Maybe both if they are allowed 

Wood        7.61
Brennan    7.21
Spiller        6.63?
Powell       5.62    
Hunter       5.43
Dugard      3.50
Edwards    3.00

Not saying it's ideal, but it fits.

1 hour ago, mmmmethanol said:

Wood        7.61
Brennan    7.21
Spiller        6.63?
Powell       5.62    
Hunter       5.43
Dugard      3.50
Edwards    3.00

Not saying it's ideal, but it fits.

That looks a play-off side to me. A powerful top 3 at home and at least one very good reserve home or away. But I’ll be surprised if Baseby isn’t in. Anyway the team is signed up so we’ll find out soon enough. 

Think if they are aiming at a total new crowd then some big booming speakers and clubby music ala cardiff could be a strong idea. Run some promotions with the local night clubs and coach company where you have a night at the speedway then a bus will take you to a club in town where on production of your speedway ticket or programme you get in for free.

It's a big gamble as you  need to attract more new people, then oldies you may lose and alienate, just to break even. 

People who bought blue and yellow merchandise may be a bit cheesed off, but  hey ho.

Whether you like the changes or not it most be nice to know your bosses are willing to roll the dice and have a go.