British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2018

7 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Thanks Neil. I did know. That's the frustration. 

The top two leagues look to the NL (I don't accept NDL) to provide riders but it should not be at the expense of the fans of NL clubs.

Doubling up/down/sideways is utter rubbish and just short changes the fans.

I am sure you understand how most speedway fans in the UK regard the running of British speedway.

It is total and utter pants (polite word used to avoid being banned).

My observations are that a large percentage of fans have walked away this year: one cannot be surprised.

The trouble is, whatever you and your colleagues do next – the vast majority will not come back.

I understand both points but the NL is a semi professional league and as such a development league for British league speedway however professionally the NL is run these days. If a young English rider is given an opportunity to step up and race in either of the top two leagues then this should be respected by the NL, after all, isn't this the ethos of the NL or have we lost sight of this now?

• Like 1

Just now, M.D said:

I understand both points but the NL is a semi professional league and as such a development league for British league speedway however professionally the NL is run these days. If a young English rider is given an opportunity to step up and race in either of the top two leagues then this should be respected by the NL, after all, isn't this the ethos of the NL or have we lost sight of this now?

As I said, I don't accept it is the NDL. It is a standalone league and should be treated as such. I don't object to riders moving up - but it is a question of timing. Not out of the blue in the middle of the season.

That's rubbish.

As to your point about the NL being semi-professional: yes, and so it should be. The same could be said for the Championship and for most of the riders in the Premiership.

Speedway in the UK, other than a handful of riders, should be semi-pro.

2 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

As I said, I don't accept it is the NDL. It is a standalone league and should be treated as such. I don't object to riders moving up - but it is a question of timing. Not out of the blue in the middle of the season.

That's rubbish.

As to your point about the NL being semi-professional: yes, and so it should be. The same could be said for the Championship and for most of the riders in the Premiership.

Speedway in the UK, other than a handful of riders, should be semi-pro.

Richard, I do understand what your saying but have you looked at things from a riders perspective?

Rider 'A' is riding in what is a development league for speedway, not covering his costs in this league but wants to build a future career in the sport.

Rider 'A' halfway through a season gets a chance to move up and is far better prepared than his first chance last season. Should he be stopped from progressing  by league rules and thus stifling his development and a chance of fulfilling his dream of becoming professional rider because it may or may not effect his semi pro club?

Mark.

7 minutes ago, M.D said:

Richard, I do understand what your saying but have you looked at things from a riders perspective?

Rider 'A' is riding in what is a development league for speedway, not covering his costs in this league but wants to build a future career in the sport.

Rider 'A' halfway through a season gets a chance to move up and is far better prepared than his first chance last season. Should he be stopped from progressing  by league rules and thus stifling his development and a chance of fulfilling his dream of becoming professional rider because it may or may not effect his semi pro club?

Mark.

That is totally where speedway has got it utterly wrong. People say:

Look at it from the promoters' perspectives

you suggest, look at it from the riders; perspectives.

Speedway needs to look at everything from the fans' point of view.

How many times do promoters need to be told this.

There is no other perspective that matters.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I do agree with this and yes I can understand it from all the perspectives you've given.

Im an Eastbourne fan for over 40 years and yes I do look at things more from a riders perspective  over the years than I used to.

Eastbourne did sign up for this league and while I respect your view point with the fans and how they are treated in British speedway, in this instance, I think its part and parcel of running in this league and that we should be developing riders to move/double up no mater what time frame this come in.

Edited by M.D

24 minutes ago, M.D said:

I do agree with this and yes I can understand it from all the perspectives you've given.

Im an Eastbourne fan for over 40 years and yes I do look at things more from a riders perspective  over the years than I used to.

Eastbourne did sign up for this league and while I respect your view point with the fans and how they are treated in British speedway, in this instance, I think its part and parcel of running in this league and that we should be developing riders to move/double up no mater what time frame this come in.

We are poles apart. Everyone as an individual will have an opinion and make decions accordingly.

26 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

We are poles apart. Everyone as an individual will have an opinion and make decions accordingly.

Indeed and everyone should look at all aspects and take an objective view point, poles apart or not..

2 minutes ago, M.D said:

Indeed and everyone should look at all aspects and take an objective view point, poles apart or not..

Yes, and act according to their findings

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

100% correct

For many decades the lower leagues of the sport have been training riders who move up as they progress.  This is nothing new and personally

I see nothing wrong with it.  At the lower level we have the pleasure of watching new young riders learn their trade and steadily improve.

I do not think the fans expect riders with ambition to stay in the lower leagues longer than necessary for their learning process.  The present

BSPA rule which gives a senior club priority when a rider is doubling up is totally wrong. For Donkey's Years it was the opposite way round

which, of course, made much more sense.  But that was in the days when ALL league members at every level were treated with proper respect.

Sadly that is not the case today and the NL is treated shabbily.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Art 19.7.3 and Art 16.1 give priority to CL meetings over NDL meetings.

http://www.britishspeedway.co/2018_speedway_regulations_online.pdf

So the Articles are unjust and wrong and should be changed, but of course the people who control them are the people who benefit from them.  Same as no Assets for NL teams.   NL Promoters like Buxton and Stoke are dedicated to keeping Speedway alive in their area all against the odds but have to operate with rules they  have no control over .  As so many have said on here they should have declared UDI for the NL 2 or 3 years ago. They just need to find a modern day Mike Parker.  Hope it does not come too late, after they have thrown the towel in.   

Tom Brennan will be a defining moment for Eastbourne.

He will move up next season and out lived the NL.

What do Eastbourne do?

Eastbourne, Kent & Rye house should all be in the championship for different reasons. What great local derbies we would have, if they were.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Eastbourne, Kent & Rye house should all be in the championship for different reasons. What great local derbies we would have, if they were.

Championship costs have got out of hand, which makes NL clubs very wary.

13 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Championship costs have got out of hand, which makes NL clubs very wary.

We can dream, can't we?