British Speedway Forum
The H Man

Godfrey Spargo

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but a man who put a lot of effort into Cornish speedway Godfrey

Spargo has passed away.

A very gentle and kind hearted man.

Always had a smile on his face and sandals on his feet whenever I saw him.

• Like 2

Remember the name well, RIP

I never knew him.

Godfrey. R.I.P. +

Edited by The White Knight

Godfrey was always a thinker and though of many ways to try and improve speedway. He supported speedway financially and always had views on how it should develop. He was good to talk to, and did good work to further the sport in his county Cornwall.

RIP Godfrey

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. Certainly one of the good guys

Goodbye Old Friend - Godfrey Spargo

It is with great and deep sadness that the Simota Speedway team announce the passing of our sponsor and friend Godfrey Spargo on the 5th November from complications of a long illness.

Godfrey has been a firm supporter and a great friend of Simota Speedway Team. He had always ensured that Sam and the team had everything possible from the start to the finish of each season.

A man who had a long career in the media services at the BBC followed by promoting British Speedway team The Trelawny Tigers, which through his connections with the sport discovered this young up and coming rider from the Czech Republic. Where in 2005, Godfrey introduced Sam Simota to the UK track at Reading Racers. This was to be the beginning of a firm friendship which would continue for the rest of Godfrey's life.

Sam and all at Simota Speedway team, along with their families and the sponsors would like to thank Godfrey for his selfless, passionate attitude, support and most of all friendship to us all. Forever in our thoughts and memories. Goodbye old friend!

Funeral Details: For directions click here - Weston Mill Crematorium - Tuesday 21st November 10.45

Diabetes UK - To donate click here - Diabetes UK charity in Godfrey's memory.

Sad to this hear this news from Liz this evening.Godfrey always had time for a chat and a natter when he attended Exeter speedway events.Nice guy. RIP Godfrey.

• Like 2

I have only just heard this news. Sad to hear about this.

I am not sure how many newly established premier league (2nd division at the time) speedway teams can boast of have 2 future SGP winning riders in their team. Tremendous job he did down there with Trelawny. Godfrey and his team really did something special.

• Like 1

I have only just heard this news. Sad to hear about this.

I am not sure how many newly established premier league (2nd division at the time) speedway teams can boast of have 2 future SGP winning riders in their team. Tremendous job he did down there with Trelawny. Godfrey and his team really did something special.

And both rode against us (the Diamonds) in about 2003 ? and we got beat 47-46 due to an 8-1 in heat 14 and a 5-1 in heat 15. Great meeting.