British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Hard Riders Of The Past Any Thoughts?

I was thinking of the riders of yesteryear that were hard but fair riders.A few come to mind here goes Steve Gresham,Jack Millen,Tommy Roper,Tony Clarke, Arthur Browning,Alan Wilkinson,Ray Wilson,Colin Gooddy ,Mitch Shirra,Ivor Brown some great names there what are your thoughts.??

Sandor Levai, Chris Julian, Jimmy Squibb, Chris Blewett, Clive Featherby

Tony Childs.

Frank Auffret (Grrrrrr :mad::nono: )

Carl Askew & Tim Nunan.

Ray Wilson, hard as nails!!!

Top class rider i supported him in 75 after he defeated Ashby in the British Final run/off he

was one of my favourite ever riders ever at his best could beat Briggs not. many could.

Ove Fundin and Barry Briggs.

No quarter asked, no quarter given.

Good topic- I agree with the names listed from the sixties e.g. Ron Mountford, Clive Featherby -wot about Bill Andrew and maybe the Boocock brothers and Doug Templeton??

Good topic- I agree with the names listed from the sixties e.g. Ron Mountford, Clive Featherby -wot about Bill Andrew and maybe the Boocock brothers and Doug Templeton??

I was thinking of Doug too. His Brother Willie Templeton was a pretty tough operator also.

Tony Childs.

Frank Auffret (Grrrrrr :mad::nono: )

1980 Reading v Swindon all hell let loose Tony Briggs was brought off by Milan Spinka but Briggo senior thought Steve Gresham was responsible.A scuffle emerged Gresh was a real tough nut a quiet man and polite but he really had an edge.WK going back to Auffrett did he have a falling out with MAD Jack.? Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

1980 Reading v Swindon all hell let loose Tony Briggs was brought off by Milan Spinka but Briggo senior thought Steve Gresham was responsible.A scuffle emerged Gresh was a real tough nut a quiet man and polite but he really had an edge.WK going back to Auffrett did he have a falling out with MAD Jack.?

Apparently Frank and Jack had many 'coming togethers'.

Frank has gone on record to say that Jack wouldn't compete in some races with him...which has been strongly refuted. Jack wasn't scared of anyone and it's a real shame that he was taken from us far too soon to be able to put his side of the story forward.

'Mad' Malcolm Ballard could also be a handful and didn't get along with the Kennett Brothers apparently.

Vaclav Verner was a hard competitor and frightened many riders...but there was no malice as far as I am aware it was just his style of riding!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Apparently Frank and Jack had many 'coming togethers'.

Frank has gone on record to say that Jack wouldn't compete in some races with him...which has been strongly refuted. Jack wasn't scared of anyone and it's a real shame that he was taken from us far too soon to be able to put his side of the story forward.

'Mad' Malcolm Ballard could also be a handful and didn't get along with the Kennett Brothers apparently.

Vaclav Verner was a hard competitor and frightened many riders...but there was no malice as far as I am aware it was just his style of riding!

I have read that too. It is a load of absolute bollux - Jack was never afraid of anyone - certainly not bloody Frank Aufrett.

Frank attended one of our Sunderland Reunions - he didn't have a good thing to say about Jack then, even though Jack died in tragic circumstances - and obviously still carries a grudge.

Very sad really.

• Like 1