British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Hard Riders Of The Past Any Thoughts?

Somebody mentioned Ivor Brown-certainly agree with that- also Tony Clark-were they ever in a race together. As a team I always thought Sheffield Tigers were full of tough guys-particularly in PL 1964-always a good night when the Tigers visited. Great team in my view.

The obvious world beaters Fundin Mauger and Briggs. Ryan Fisher was bloody hard, and Carl Stonehewer and Rusty Harrison up at Worky. Clive Hitch, Pete Munday, Bob Kilby, Jason Doyle, Hans Andersen, at Swindon, and Nikki Pedersen at GP level, are just a few, plenty of Poles and Russians, with special mention to Chris Bomber Harris...well ard

Edited by auntie doris

One of the hardest riders I saw was Al Sparrey who rode for Rye House, Swindon and Yarmouth from the mid-1950s into the early 1960s.

Jack Millen stands out a mile over all others off & on track..........hard as nails on both.....underrated as a rider.........yet a great bloke taken to early, RIP crazy jack.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gustix said:

One of the hardest riders I saw was Al Sparrey who rode for Rye House, Swindon and Yarmouth from the mid-1950s into the early 1960s.

My mum used to tell me about him. Not so much "hard" as "wild"!!!

Steve

5 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

I believe that both Chris Julian and Blewitt fall into the same category?

Tom & Joe Owen ,Tom was a little too ruthless for my liking  IMO it was to make up for a lack of skill against better riders where as Joe was just superb an artist on a bike what a cruel end to brilliant  career.    

Andy Galvin was a hard but fair (mostly:wink:) rider. He used to fall foul to a lot of refs who automatically reached for his exclusion light when his opponents got blown off by the breeze of Andy overtaking them so quickly.

He also managed to orchestrate the odd 5-0 when we needed it!

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I believe that both Chris Julian and Blewitt fall into the same category?

Blewett definitely, but I never considered Chris Julian "wild". Spectacular, yes, but that is different to "wild"!

Steve

• Like 1

I agree that Jack Millen was extremely hard - his battles with Frank Auffret were something to behold. No love lost there at all!

• Like 2

On 2/3/2019 at 10:13 PM, gustix said:

21 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

Some background on Al Sparrey:

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/page874.html

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/alsparrey.html

Edited by Guest

The late Kelvin Mullarkey was a hard rider and I remember one such occasion where he and Barney Kennett (another shrinking violet) had a coming together!