British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Hard Riders Of The Past Any Thoughts?

I’d say both Nicki,but also Gollob could pull off some uncompromising moves in their determination to win

On 2/5/2019 at 7:36 AM, steve roberts said:

The late Kelvin Mullarkey was a hard rider and I remember one such occasion where he and Barney Kennett (another shrinking violet) had a coming together!

I remember seeing Barney have a punch up with Martin Dixon up at Middlesbrough. It was well worth the admission money!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I remember seeing Barney have a punch up with Martin Dixon up at Middlesbrough. It was well worth the admission money!

When Oxford put on an 'Eagles' vs. 'Panthers' meeting Barney was guesting for one of the teams (can't recall who) and he was getting upto all sorts of antics on track with the opposition. Great days at Cowley when we had meaningful second halves due to our promotional attachement with the aforementioned teams.

I remember bumping into Barney at Vojens when he was giving Eddie a bit of vocal backing.I was impressed at what a nice bloke he was and thought at that time he had more muscle in his legs than most have in their whole body.Dave was also there,but I only saw him passing as he was mostly in the pits

• Like 1

Sorry to see Alan Wilkinson passed away recently-indeed an honourable entry into the "hard riders" thresd

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 8:02 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Top class rider i supported him in 75 after he defeated Ashby in the British Final run/off he

was one of my favourite ever riders ever at his best could beat Briggs not. many could.

Would wilson have left ashby as much room on the last corner?

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Would wilson have left ashby as much room on the last corner?

NO Geoff certainly not,,,  but Ray was a class act i forgive him!!! Ray was one of the first riders who could beat Briggs at the Abbey in the late 60s on merit great rider tough as old boots top class as well,my uncle told me that  from the beginning from his Long Eaton days.

• Like 1