British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Survivng World Finalists

Bavaria's very own, and Germany's first speedway world finalist of 1957, 1958, 1959, and 1960, Josef "Wack" Hofmeister" is still around and in very good shape. Don't know exactly how old he is though.

Josef Hofmeister was born in Abensberg, Bavaria, on the 17th of June, 1934, so he is not far off now .

Another soon to enter the top 20 is a certain Barry Briggs, born 30 Dec 1934

Anybody know if Arthur Payne is still with us??

Also if the meeting were held who would win between Ronnie and Split when both riders were at their peak??

No doubt in my mind Ronnie at his peak,fully motivated would beat Split.Ronnie at his peak would beat most riders in anyones top 10 apart from the very very best

• Like 1

No doubt in my mind Ronnie at his peak,fully motivated would beat Split.Ronnie at his peak would beat most riders in anyones top 10 apart from the very very best

I agree. Split was good, but not quite that good. After all, he didn't win the World Championship.

Anybody know if Arthur Payne is still with us??

Also if the meeting were held who would win between Ronnie and Split when both riders were at their peak??

Yes, I think Arthur Payne is still with us.....Not sure about his birth date though, what I can find is, he was born 28.8.23 making him 94 now!

• Like 1

Yes, I think Arthur Payne is still with us.....Not sure about his birth date though, what I can find is, he was born 28.8.23 making him 94 now!

Yes, that's the date given on Wikipedia. I wonder where the date we have on our list came from?

In answer to Norbold, I think the birthdates came from wikipaedia, internet searches and forumlanders info

I have to agree Ronnie would be the champ. Here's another would Split at his best beat Olle Nygren at his best

I have to agree Ronnie would be the champ. Here's another would Split at his best beat Olle Nygren at his best

Yes, I believe Split would beat Olle more times than he would lose to him.

• Like 1

Yes, I believe Split would beat Olle more times than he would lose to him.

I'd agree

Sometimes we can look back and ask 'if only he was more dedicated how good could he have been?'.We are possibly dealing with a couple who could fall into that category.Even Ronnie Moore could be as well.Olle is certainly a rider that it could be said never really reached his full potential,but then they were who they were.That is the life they chose and maybe Olle could have been much better than the records show,but i think you are right and he woud lose more often than not against Split

Although he was past his best by the time I saw him at New Cross, Split was still a good heat leader, but there was a period of about three or four weeks when he must have been like the Split of old. He seemed to be in a different class - he beat Ove Fundin three times one night during this time - and it was like I did catch a glimpse of him at his best. Sadly, it didn't last long but it was a privilege to see him back to his best. On that form, I think he would definitely have beaten Olle Nygren, both at their best. The only thing I would say about Olle is that he probably maintained a higher standard for longer than Split. He was still a major force to be reckoned with in the late 60s.

Excellent comments-would you then say that of the 16 listed Ronnie is undoubtedly the best , but then Split and then Olle or is there another name that would be one of the top three?

• Like 1

Excellent comments-would you then say that of the 16 listed Ronnie is undoubtedly the best , but then Split and then Olle or is there another name that would be one of the top three?

Yes, BOBBATH, I think those three are slightly a class above the rest.

Then o great one who would you say on that list is #4- I reckon it would have to be Rune Sormander-what do the rest of you think. My favourite rider was of course Dick Bradley, but maybe he didn't stack up against these guys-although in terms of who was a great gentleman he would be right up there!!

OK folks -it seems we all agree on the first three riders of the list in terms of who would beat others at the top of their careers(I almost posted carers!!) . After Ronnie, Split and Olle -I put Rune Sormander as the fourth best- no disagreement yet posted there-so wh would you put #5-I would put Dick Bradley-taking into account his World Final Appearances and that he was still a heat leader at 40 and indeed appeared in the 1965 BL(best season ever) and may have carried on if not for Clive Featherby!!