British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Survivng World Finalists

OK folks -it seems we all agree on the first three riders of the list in terms of who would beat others at the top of their careers(I almost posted carers!!) . After Ronnie, Split and Olle -I put Rune Sormander as the fourth best- no disagreement yet posted there-so wh would you put #5-I would put Dick Bradley-taking into account his World Final Appearances and that he was still a heat leader at 40 and indeed appeared in the 1965 BL(best season ever) and may have carried on if not for Clive Featherby!!

I think there is a case for Per Olof Soderman ahead of Dick Bradley. Peo was ahead on World Final appearances by 4 to 2, with both also making a final as reserve. Peo also finished in the top six in 5 European Finals and scored 10 points in the 1963 World Team Cup Final, when he was part of Sweden's winning team.

Brian Crutcher could match most during that era. I can recall in bygone days BBC Sportsview sent cameras to Wembley for a league meeting between Lions and Wimbledon specially for the race between Crutcher and Tommy Price for Wembley and Moore and Briggs for Wimbledon . Result 5-1 to Wembley

Edited by wealdstone

I'm sure you're right about Brian Crutcher, Wealdstone, But, unfortunately, he's not on the list of oldest finalists - yet.

I'm sure you're right about Brian Crutcher, Wealdstone, But, unfortunately, he's not on the list of oldest finalists - yet.

Sorry thought he was same age as Ronnie Moore and Ove Fundin

Brian Crutcher could match most during that era. I can recall in bygone days BBC Sportsview sent cameras to Wembley for a league meeting between Lions and Wimbledon specially for the race between Crutcher and Tommy Price for Wembley and Moore and Briggs for Wimbledon . Result 5-1 to Wembley

Firstly I agree with the BL65-Soderman is ahead of Bradley for #5-re the Crutcher thing-there are a whole bunch of famous riders born around 1933 and 34 e.g. Briggo-but it looks like Ove is the first reserve on the Oldest World Finalists list-not absolutely sure-could Norbold & BL65 tell us who are the people just behind Ove in age??

Brian Crutcher was born 23/08/1934, so he is one year and three months younger than Ove.

I should add that Briggo was born 30 December 1934, so Brian Crutcher will make it to the list before he does!

Edited by norbold

Yes, I think Arthur Payne is still with us.....Not sure about his birth date though, what I can find is, he was born 28.8.23 making him 94 now!

Not only is Arthur Payne still with us, he has just been interviewed by John Chaplin for our next issue of Classic Speedway magazine (issue 39)!

• Like 3

That's great news about Arthur Payne- long may he be with us. Anyone know Briggo's dob-he must be about the same age as Ove

That's great news about Arthur Payne- long may he be with us. Anyone know Briggo's dob-he must be about the same age as Ove

Norbold mentioned it just two posts before you asked, and it was mentioned again a few posts before that!

It was 30 December 1934...

Steve

Sorry everybody- I hope I am not in the early stages of dementia-my wife says I am because I can't/won't remember where the kitchen stuff is!!

• Like 1

Sorry everybody- I hope I am not in the early stages of dementia-my wife says I am because I can't/won't remember where the kitchen stuff is!!

Best way BOBBATH - best way. :t::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Trust me Bob....its contagious!!!!!!

After all this comment re my mental state are there any more riders besides Brian Crutcher and Briggo who were born in 1933-34 who will be eligible for this list- Bjorn Knutsson maybe for example who I was privileged to see win his only World Title in 1965 (could have won more in my opinion-great rider!!)

After all this comment re my mental state are there any more riders besides Brian Crutcher and Briggo who were born in 1933-34 who will be eligible for this list- Bjorn Knutsson maybe for example who I was privileged to see win his only World Title in 1965 (could have won more in my opinion-great rider!!)

How good was he "BOBBATH".? he is one of the greats from the 60s i never did get to see ride odviously a real CLASS act he would of won more titles.In your opinion was Bjorn better on the bigger racier circuits or the more technical ones ? New Cross was little yes. ?
  • Like 1

How good was he "BOBBATH".? he is one of the greats from the 60s i never did get to see ride odviously a real CLASS act he would of won more titles.In your opinion was Bjorn better on the bigger racier circuits or the more technical ones ? New Cross was little yes. ?

A rider I would have liked to have seen.