British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Survivng World Finalists

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Question for whiteknight-did you follow any other team after the sad demise of the Saints-or did you give up on Speedway(which I could quite understand). Before I forget the birthdates of the oldest World Finalists are getting uncomfortably close to mine-yours too I think Norbold!!!!!:D:D(just learned how to use emoticons):)

Not that close, BOBBATH! Still a long way to go yet.

there was also Newcastle/New Cross rider Ken Le Breton who rode in all white leathers . I saw him in the 1949 world final but he never troubled the top riders

3 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

there was also Newcastle/New Cross rider Ken Le Breton who rode in all white leathers . I saw him in the 1949 world final but he never troubled the top riders

I am confuddled.Are you saying Ken didn't die and should be included in the list?:blink:

59 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I am confuddled.Are you saying Ken didn't die and should be included in the list?:blink:

No it was to with the colour of their leathers . I think he died in a track crash around 1951. HE wore white leathers and was known as the White Ghost

Oh I get where you are coming from.Like Briggo and the others(Ashby,Crump etc)with their red with black and white striped arms and Booey with his blue leathers.Even go right back to Clem Cort who was known for riding in green,which was thought to be unlucky and of course Cort died young in a tragic motorbike accident!!!

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:28 AM, norbold said:

Not that close, BOBBATH! Still a long way to go yet.

Sadly Norbold , I may be a little closer than you (just a little, not a lot)!!!

On ‎2018‎/‎01‎/‎04 at 3:42 AM, BOBBATH said:

I know , I know  but to me Mike Broadbank is still Mike Broadbanks as I suspect to most of his fans from the sixties-great rider -stood out in his red leathers when most rode in black(with the honorable exception of Booey in blue)!!

I think Ken Cameron, an Australian rider who appeared for Edinburgh in the early 60's, rode in white leathers.

On 10/01/2018 at 4:29 PM, Split said:

I think Ken Cameron, an Australian rider who appeared for Edinburgh in the early 60's, rode in white leathers.

Indeed he did. He had the nickname 'Casper', as in 'Caspar the Ghost'.

Sadly Ken has passed away. He actually rode for Sunderland 'Saints' in 1964.

http://www.edinburghmonarchs.co/news-centre/article/2015-02-02/kenny-cameron-has-passed-away