British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Survivng World Finalists

Personally disagree.He had obviously lost his desire,so was far better to get out fit and healthy and move on,rather than go through the motions,drop out of the top riders category and maybe even risk a bad crash

Maybe you would think that the desire might come back after a break,like maybe say,Ronnie Moore.But this never happened,so I think even Bjorn thought it was the best decision

Edited by iris123

Personally disagree.He had obviously lost his desire,so was far better to get out fit and healthy and move on,rather than go through the motions,drop out of the top riders category and maybe even risk a bad crash

Maybe you would think that the desire might come back after a break,like maybe say,Ronnie Moore.But this never happened,so I think even Bjorn thought it was the best decision

You have to say Iris he was still top of the pile though when he left and at that stage had the measure of both the Danes.But your point is a good one , desire and dedication is the most important thing in any tough sport.I could never of imagined Bruce riding and dropping down the levels though he was to good to do that.Looking back Penhall must have regrets he had this crazy dream about acting it has not worked out for him and speedway lost out in the long run. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

In a way Bjorn was similar to Penhall both retired far to early and yes Bjorn would of been a massive threat to Ivan in the late 60s.Penhall was the same i am convinced Nielsen/ Gundersen would not of won seven titles between them if Penhall had not retired.

I did read somewhere that Penhall wished that he could have taken part in the 1983 World Final at Norden but of course he made the decision himself to retire after the 1982 World Final...I'm sure a decision he grew to regret in later years.

Hi guys -missed one out - Mike Broadbanks (and I still think of this as his surname) was born 25/9/34-so a bit older than Briggo and just behind the "nipper"

Looked back at all my programmes and was amazed to see the only time I saw Bjorn ride was in the 65 World Final. As regards the question of who was the best of the big five -I would have to say unequivocally it was Fundin-second best is a toss up between Briggo and Moore, guess I would have to go with Ronnie-sadly I never got to see Peter Craven, Bjorn had too short a career to rank with the others imho

On Mike Broadbank, I should have noticed that as I have only just written a two part article for John Skinner's Defunct Speedway Tracks on him this week!

It's interesting that you place Ronnie Moore above Briggo in light of the subsequent postings about "desire". I think this was what stopped Ronnie Moore from becoming the greatest of all time and definitely outdoing Briggo and Ove. Ronnie was a team man through and through and more interested in his team, Wimbledon, than in winning individual titles. I think there is probably universal agreement that Moore was the best speedway rider technically. As Alf Hagon once told me, "He was by far the best rider I have ever partnered. He could do anything on a bike. They called him Mirac and he was. He could ride full throttle, half throttle, change directions, tootle round slowly, ride the inside line, ride the outside line. He would even shout instructions at me as we were going round." But he didn't really have that "killer instinct" like Briggo, Ove and Mauger. I don't think Knutson had it either. And it was that that stopped them from winning more world titles.

On Mike Broadbank, I should have noticed that as I have only just written a two part article for John Skinner's Defunct Speedway Tracks on him this week!

It's interesting that you place Ronnie Moore above Briggo in light of the subsequent postings about "desire". I think this was what stopped Ronnie Moore from becoming the greatest of all time and definitely outdoing Briggo and Ove. Ronnie was a team man through and through and more interested in his team, Wimbledon, than in winning individual titles. I think there is probably universal agreement that Moore was the best speedway rider technically. As Alf Hagon once told me, "He was by far the best rider I have ever partnered. He could do anything on a bike. They called him Mirac and he was. He could ride full throttle, half throttle, change directions, tootle round slowly, ride the inside line, ride the outside line. He would even shout instructions at me as we were going round." But he didn't really have that "killer instinct" like Briggo, Ove and Mauger. I don't think Knutson had it either. And it was that that stopped them from winning more world titles.

Moore i only see at the tail end of his career but he was a class act and a gentleman to his track craft was second to none.My impression was Ronnie rode more for enjoyment and if he won he won if he lost he lost didnt matter either way.On the superb Wimbledon dvd the race where Ronnie beats Ivan it looks like Ronnie had eyes in the back of his head he seemed to know every move Ivan was going to make.Me being a Briggo fan it pains me to say maybe Ronnie would rank ahead of Barry Moore was some rider.

I did read somewhere that Penhall wished that he could have taken part in the 1983 World Final at Norden but of course he made the decision himself to retire after the 1982 World Final...I'm sure a decision he grew to regret in later years.

Let's hope so.

Does anyone know the results of all the races that Fundin and Moore were in together-like who won the most. I reckon it would be Ove but I do recognise that Ove was far more selfish than Ronnie as a team rider. What about all the races where Briggo met Moore?

Does anyone know the results of all the races that Fundin and Moore were in together-like who won the most. I reckon it would be Ove but I do recognise that Ove was far more selfish than Ronnie as a team rider. What about all the races where Briggo met Moore?

I don't know, BOBBATH, but the late great Keith Farman compiled a complete list of every race Ove Fundin raced in and I think, from memory, that it showed that Ove beat each of the other Big 5 more times than they beat him and that it was Peter Craven who had the best record against him. Edited by norbold
  • Like 2

It's gotta be Ove then as the greatest of all time.

Back on my favourite subject-how would forumlanders who recall the 50's and 60's-rank Rune Sormander v. Peo Soderman- in the oldest World Finalists list in terms of career performance think. I Might have to give Rune the edge!!

Tip o' the hat to Dick-when Newport opened in 1964- he was one of three heat leaders along with Alby Golden and Peter Vandenberg(both of whom have passed away). Dick would have been almost 40 years old then and could mix it with the best of them. When he retired after a nasty accident Newport really suffered. A fine gentleman-if any of Dick's relatives are reading this please thank him for all the entertainment he gave to all his many fans. Happy Birthday Dick!

• Like 2

OK Forumlanders-how many of the surviving 16 have you seen ride- I saw just seven- Bradley, Taylor, Boothroyd, Bales, Nygren, Geran and Moore. I don't reckon any of you can have seen all 16-not even Norbold or gustix,or Iris 123, White Knight, BL 65 or any others of you. I mean to say who could have seen Arthur Payne, Henry Long etc. . If anybody saw all 16 I will personally buy you a beer or other beverage of your choice (documentary proof required however-no cheating here)!!!!

OK Forumlanders-how many of the surviving 16 have you seen ride- I saw just seven- Bradley, Taylor, Boothroyd, Bales, Nygren, Geran and Moore. I don't reckon any of you can have seen all 16-not even Norbold or gustix,or Iris 123, White Knight, BL 65 or any others of you. I mean to say who could have seen Arthur Payne, Henry Long etc. . If anybody saw all 16 I will personally buy you a beer or other beverage of your choice (documentary proof required however-no cheating here)!!!!

Did you ever see Arthur Forrest ride "BOBBATH"?

I've seen 13 of them. Missed out on Arthur Payne, Henry Long and Derek Close.