British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

Great news!

No it's not. It's terrible news.

This idea of teams for teams sake is a good idea is part of what kills speedway. Just short term thinking.

I think it is positive in terms of getting a team of some description back on track but the Bees fans never took to the National League in great numbers at Brandon so I hope they will do so at the new venue. It's a gamble for the promotion and credit to them for taking it.

Sadly, some of the comments do seem to rule out a return to Brandon now but I think that was inevitable anyway. The best that they can hope for is that when granting permission for housing there is a requirement to provide a new speedway / stock car facility in the area. That is one for the Council to consider.

As we have learnt at Cradley, if you don't save what you have got the chance to open somewhere else is extremely slim.

Best of luck to the Bees. I really hope it works out for them but a 50 mile round trip to meetings is a drawback. Still we did a season at Stoke with a 100 mile round trip so it is possible.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Ommer Mon
  • Like 1

Hope it works out for Coventry. Maybe they will pick up a few speedway fans that cannot attend midweek Leicester meetings? Would also be nice if an MDL side could be tracked be it Long Eaton / Mercia Vikings etc as it will be a prime opportunity to help develop up and coming riders.

Certainly when there are no clashes with Mildenhall home meetings, I make the journey to support the venture.

Any meetings at Leicester midweek are totally out of the question for me, so to visit the track on a Sunday would be just perfect.

• Like 1

For the sake of Coventry fans and Speedway in general I hope things go well. However I fear anything Hortenesque is doomed .

• Like 1

when the bournemouth buccaneers ran at poole i only attended around a third of the meetings,it then closed due to lack of support and i now wish i had supported every meeting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But Mr Horton revealed the move meant a return to Brandon Stadium, a long-held hop of Bees fans, was unlikely in the extreme.

He added: A standalone stadium either at Brandon or elsewhere has never been commercially viable and will never be commercially viable for the club.

Strange statement about viability - especially when moving to a new 2011 stadium in Leicester & amazing how Brandon has continued for so long!

Edited by Falcon Hammer

I think if we had had 1 year out instead of 14 and started up at monmore in the NL the crowds would have been nowhere near what we got when we came back in 2010. Might be wrong. Can't see Coventry fans travelling to Leicester in any great numbers for NL. Again, could be wrong

i'll be as happy as the majority of supporters will be to see a bees or storm side back on track , and i wish them the best of luck . but i hope they've thought long and hard about it rather than it being the only alternative to no coventry side at all . i really can't see how enough fans will make the trip to leicester to keep them going for the full season when few seemed to watch them on my visits to brandon in the n.l . what the league doesn't need is another young stars like last year.

Well last year, the Coventry NL team were supposed to have merged with Belle Vue, and that didn't work out well...so who knows what will happen this time around.

Well last year, the Coventry NL team were supposed to have merged with Belle Vue, and that didn't work out well...so who knows what will happen this time around.

Did for BV ... but Coventry dropped out because their stadium was not available.

• Like 1