British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

The distance shouldn't be that much of an obsticle, it's probably a 70 mile round trip for home meetings for me.

It is an attempt to keep Coventry's name alive.

Is it really viable? A lot of your costs are fixed when it comes to speedway, no matter which league you are in; e.g.: medical

And, is this what the National League needs?

Guest GiveusaB

I think if Coventry can put together a team worth watching, then fans will travel......it's surprising what a 'winning' team can do for 'on the fence' supporters!

we did a season at Stoke with a 100 mile round trip so it is possible.

Fingers crossed.

No, - it didn't work. Fans wouldn't go that far, and the Heathens closed for 14 years.

Although it is great news that Coventry supporters will have a team to follow again, this move does give Brandon Estates some leverage with their planning application. They must know by now, that Rugby Council won't ever approve a planning consent so they are likely to take their application to appeal, and they will then be able to not only inform the Planning Inspector that Coventry Speedway DO have an alternative venue, but can also present themselves as a pillar of society who are sponsoring the Coventry team.

I wonder then, whether this move really is a good idea?

It is an attempt to keep Coventry's name alive

make no mistake this is an attempt to keep one mans name alive while he sells off his assets while Brandon estate pick up the tab for the rent of Leicester
  • Like 4

Although it is great news that Coventry supporters will have a team to follow again, this move does give Brandon Estates some leverage with their planning application. They must know by now, that Rugby Council won't ever approve a planning consent so they are likely to take their application to appeal, and they will then be able to not only inform the Planning Inspector that Coventry Speedway DO have an alternative venue, but can also present themselves as a pillar of society who are sponsoring the Coventry team.

No it’s not in fact this is the worse thing that could happen in the possible return to Brandon, make no mistake brown envelopes have been exchanged, I hope the person responsible for selling Coventry down the line is happy now

So...Sunday afternoons then? A 70-80 mile round to a crap track, and going head to head with taking the dog for a walk in the park. Well, best of luck with that then. :rofl:

We all know how it works...Planning meetings are open to the public. Brandon Estates just need to trawl the streets and recruit a load of homeless people to fill the public galleries and the chances of gaining planning permission for a housing project are boosted enormously.

No it's not. It's terrible news.

This idea of teams for teams sake is a good idea is part of what kills speedway. Just short term thinking.

Spot on...

More riders needed when not enough to go round now to keep the Sport credible...

More tracks means less quality of rider just to put a team out which then means less quality of racing...

'Speedway at all costs' doesn't benefit the 'Brand' in anyway shape or form yet is constantly allowed to be done...

A race to the bottom...

With regards to the cr@p track from memory the comments about the NLRC were that the racing was good? Perhaps it appears poor at the higher levels because of the gulf in difference between the riders.

More tracks does mean more riders but that can only be a good thing. If we expect anyone to take up the sport there must be viable chances of progression opportunities. Added to that the simple fact that if you throw enough at a wall some of it will stick, how many potential top class riders have already retired due to lack of opportunities.

Precisely, and Horton has bought into this plan for one simple reason, to line his own pocket.

He has absolutely no regard for the fans of the bees, or any concern over a long term solution to the issue .

Guest GiveusaB

I went to Leicester for the first time last season and have to say that although the track was quite dire, the spectating facility is excellent.....especially compared to Perry Barr.....where we probably have one of the better race tracks, but worst viewing facilities I've ever been to!

At least Leicester can do something about the track.....

Although we're made/told to just be grateful that we have a speedway team in existence at all....so i'll keep my gob shut ! :t:

No, - it didn't work. Fans wouldn't go that far, and the Heathens closed for 14 years.

Sadly you are right overall.

Saturday and Bank Holiday fixture attendances were ok but mid week fixtures were extremenly difficult. Leaving work at 5 and getting to Stoke by 7.30 was a real challenge up the M6. There was also the cost of the riders to consider. Don't forget we had both Greg and Billy at the time. Don't get me wrong, they were both brilliant but they came with a price tag. Sadly, the lack of support from the locals, in spite of having the two best riders in the world riding each week and great racing on a well prepared track, was also a factor.

Hopefully Sunday travel and NL costs may make things easier for the Bees. I cetainly hope so.

I remember seeing belle vue there that season. Watching the home and away riders helping the track staff pick stock Car debris off the circuit before racing could start has always stayed with me!

I remember seeing belle vue there that season. Watching the home and away riders helping the track staff pick stock Car debris off the circuit before racing could start has always stayed with me!

Sadly thats a sight i have seen repeatedly at Stoke, Kings Lynn & Mildenhall over the years