British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

I can appreciate the misgivings that many Coventry supporters will have about this proposal, but I really hope that a good number do eventually decide to support it. Boycotting your own team cannot possibly do any good. As a lifelong Birmingham supporter, I can remember the Bordesley Green era. The facilities there were appalling and many supporters genuinely believed that if they stayed away they would somehow force an improvement, but all that they achieved was to hasten the end.

I agree that using Leicester will do little or nothing to help the club get back into Brandon or find another venue in the Coventry area, but at least it will keep the club's name alive, and this is vital if something concrete is to eventually be realised. If Mick Horton gets no support he will give it neck and won't have much joy in finding a taker if he tries to sell it on.

I'd say to Coventry supporters - keep up the pressure and let the promotion know how you feel - but don't withdraw your support.

the name can be kept alive without going to Leicester
  • Like 2

I can appreciate the misgivings that many Coventry supporters will have about this proposal, but I really hope that a good number do eventually decide to support it. Boycotting your own team cannot possibly do any good. As a lifelong Birmingham supporter, I can remember the Bordesley Green era. The facilities there were appalling and many supporters genuinely believed that if they stayed away they would somehow force an improvement, but all that they achieved was to hasten the end.

I agree that using Leicester will do little or nothing to help the club get back into Brandon or find another venue in the Coventry area, but at least it will keep the club's name alive, and this is vital if something concrete is to eventually be realised. If Mick Horton gets no support he will give it neck and won't have much joy in finding a taker if he tries to sell it on.

I'd say to Coventry supporters - keep up the pressure and let the promotion know how you feel - but don't withdraw your support.

I would go further. Turn up at Leicester with Banners saying "We belong in Brandon" or some other catchy phrase.

What about "We're here under protest"?

The Coventry team could be quite strong

Sarjaent

Dwyer

Halder

Greenwood

Shuttleworth

Just to name a few with links back to the club

Out of interest what would 20% of the Coventry fanbase be? Im guessing full strength its 2000? So 400 for NL wouldnt be bad at all? Plus i strongly suspect there will be several Leicester based Speedway fans that prefer a weekend fix rather than week nights?

I do see your point and I would go along in most circumstances. The problem for us fans is there is a chance that this is being funded by those that want to build houses on Brandon. Supporting this venture is possibly supporting their cause indirectly. Add to that of course many just don't trust Horton. For me if I can be convinced that the stadium owners have absolutely nothing to do with this I will attend but them refusing to answer questions put to them by Coventry Observer about this then I have my doubts.

Thanks. 80% saying they wouldn't go is a very worrying figure.

However, it might be worth Coventry trying to get some feedback from non-forum folk and those not on social media

It was done on the Coventry Observer website.

I would go further. Turn up at Leicester with Banners saying "We belong in Brandon" or some other catchy phrase.

What about "We're here under protest"?

That has crossed my mind. Get all fans to turn up for a meeting with banners etc and get the media invovled. Similar to what we saw at Peterborough and Leicester. It does give a SCS group a platform for peaceful protest.

you suggested to do a poll on social media now after I told you the result you have moved the goal posts

Just suggesting that Coventry get as much information as possible.

How do you propose they do that? Travel all over the Midlands asking people?

All over the relevant area of the Midlands - e.g. Coventry and Leicester. Some market research on the street.

Out of interest what would 20% of the Coventry fanbase be? Im guessing full strength its 2000? So 400 for NL wouldnt be bad at all? Plus i strongly suspect there will be several Leicester based Speedway fans that prefer a weekend fix rather than week nights?

Storm meetings didnt get that many though and youd hope that with their being no Bees then those who didnt bother with the Storm meetings would go along. But Lakeside fans have proved that just simply still existing doesnt guarantee a fan base.

I do see your point and I would go along in most circumstances. The problem for us fans is there is a chance that this is being funded by those that want to build houses on Brandon. Supporting this venture is possibly supporting their cause indirectly. Add to that of course many just don't trust Horton. For me if I can be convinced that the stadium owners have absolutely nothing to do with this I will attend but them refusing to answer questions put to them by Coventry Observer about this then I have my doubts.

Don't be ridiculous woz, Steve Shovlar told you this was a conspiracy theory and he knows everything Coventry Speedway!! ;)

• Like 2

It was done on the Coventry Observer website.

That has crossed my mind. Get all fans to turn up for a meeting with banners etc and get the media invovled. Similar to what we saw at Peterborough and Leicester. It does give a SCS group a platform for peaceful protest.

I agree there is a risk here. If the developers back this move financially then they can dress it up for the Planning Inspector that they have successfully relocated the Club, which may influence him in releasing Brandon for housing. This kind of 'backing' is likely to be far cheaper / quicker than finding / buying some land and building a track.

Going to have some interesting local derby's next year...

Cradley v Coventry - at Wolverhampton

Coventry v Cradley - at Leicester.

If I ever hear people moaning that the airports that Ryanair fly into are nowhere near the cities that they advertise them to be at, I'll mention this.

uk martin, on 30 Nov 2017 - 5:19 PM, said:

Going to have some interesting local derby's next year...

Cradley v Coventry - at Wolverhampton

Coventry v Cradley - at Leicester.

If I ever hear people moaning that the airports that Ryanair fly into are nowhere near the cities that they advertise them to be at, I'll mention this.

When will Coventry know if they have been accepted into the League ? Many of the established clubs are already signing up riders .

When will Coventry know if they have been accepted into the League ? Many of the established clubs are already signing up riders .

Our application will go before the NDL AGM, which is likely to be in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Our application will go before the NDL AGM, which is likely to be in the next couple of weeks.

What are your thoughts on comments made by long standing bees fans who have advised they will not support this venture? Why does Mick Horton believe that a standalone stadium for speedway is not viable, knowing full well there would be the opportunity for Stox to join the venture?

What are your thoughts on comments made by long standing bees fans who have advised they will not support this venture? Why does Mick Horton believe that a standalone stadium for speedway is not viable, knowing full well there would be the opportunity for Stox to join the venture?

Surely Horton did not say a standalone speedway venue would not work. After all is he not going to be sharing at a pretty new standalone speedway venue now? Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 1

Surely Horton did not say a standalone speedway venue would not work. After all is he not going to be sharing at a pretty new standalone speedway venue now?

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/speedway/coventry-bees-leicester-lions-brandon-13901969

More or less what Brandon Estates have been saying, hence the suspicion.

Edited by Dave Jones