British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Am I cynical for thinking that the promoter is only doing the cheapest speedway option available so he can get his promoters licence back, his assets unfrozen and then sell everything off and cash his chips in? 

I doubt Leicester would agree to any share unless it was NL. Plus if this gets rid of everyone involved in this shambles and the Save Cov Speedway group can move forward without other influences then it's a win win.

• Like 2

Will Leicester's 2nd VII ride as "Coventry Bees" or "Coventry Storm" - or is that also subject to confirmation? 

And when is that confirmation to be expected?

21 hours ago, False dawn said:

What a mess.

A stadium that could host speedway and stox just rusting away.

A heritage compatible with any club in the World.

A fan base comparable (in numbers) with many currently successful clubs.

A fan base with few equals in terms of loyalty.

A club in the hands of Mick Horton, Avtar Sandhu (?) and Brandon Estates.

A club destined to run in the 3rd division in a different city.

But.....

We have a bunch of people with heart, faith and dedication who might yet wrench this club from the jaws of oblivion and give us back something we recognise as a force to be reckoned with in British Speedway.

Say a prayer, write to Rugby Borough Council, let the committee know you haven't given up, despite all the crap (sorry). Do everything you can to keep the dream alive. You never know.

What I don't understand if Brandon Estates wish to build on Brandon why they are not working with the RELEVANT parties ie Save Coventry Speedway & Rugby Council to meet their ends . Allow Speedway & Stox to continue until a suitable site it found .When the NEW Stadium opens the Council hands over the land to them . Surely Goodwill would go along way ??

6 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Will Leicester's 2nd VII ride as "Coventry Bees" or "Coventry Storm" - or is that also subject to confirmation? 

And when is that confirmation to be expected?

Coventry Bees

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BANANAMAN said:

What I don't understand if Brandon Estates wish to build on Brandon why they are not working with the RELEVANT parties ie Save Coventry Speedway & Rugby Council to meet their ends . Allow Speedway & Stox to continue until a suitable site it found .When the NEW Stadium opens the Council hands over the land to them . Surely Goodwill would go along way ??

The most relevant party where speedway is concerned is the club owner of course, 

• Like 1

On 22/12/2017 at 12:34 PM, BANANAMAN said:

Why should they ? All they have to do is wait until the council backs down and grants planning permission: as happened with Dudley Wood Road stadium. And who is going to pay for this new stadium?

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

Why should they ? All they have to do is wait until the council backs down and grants planning permission: as happened with Dudley Wood Road stadium. And who is going to pay for this new stadium?

As I’ve stated previously it’s a Mirror image of the Long Eaton situation, exactly the same, and we all know what happened there.

18 hours ago, Argos said:

As I’ve stated previously it’s a Mirror image of the Long Eaton situation, exactly the same, and we all know what happened there.

I thought they were just dotting the i's and crossing the t's... that's the last I heard on the Long Eaton return... was about 15 years ago though

On 22/12/2017 at 12:34 PM, BANANAMAN said:

The council can insist on them providing funds and/or build a stadium in any successful planning application. They are hoping that doesn' happen although if it does I suspect it'll only be a small dent in the profit they will make.

On 23/12/2017 at 1:18 PM, *JJ said:

The group has fairly wealthy backers it seems, Problem is finding a site suitable. The group did put a pre planning application in for a site but I guess there was a problem as we've heard nothing about it.

Edited by Woz01

6 hours ago, Woz01 said:

The council can insist on them providing funds and/or build a stadium in any successful planning application.

Why should RUGBY Couincil go out of its way to help a team bearing the COVENTRY name? What's Coventry (City of Culture) Council's role in all of this? Are they really as bad as their neighbours in Dudley Council?

On 26/12/2017 at 2:01 PM, uk_martin said:

Why should RUGBY Couincil go out of its way to help a team bearing the COVENTRY name? What's Coventry (City of Culture) Council's role in all of this? Are they really as bad as their neighbours in Dudley Council?

Coventry Council are assisting the group. Coventry Council do own land in the Rugby area and it was rumoured that one of those sites were offered to see if it was a viable option. As i say just a rumour. Rugby Council know the benefits of having speedway and stock car in their area, I'm sure they claimed themselves it was the biggest attraction for visitors into the Rugby area.

Anyway, when will be hear confirmation either way about running in 2018?

Edited by Woz01

1 hour ago, Woz01 said:

Coventry Council are assisting the group. Coventry Council do own land in the Rugby area and it was rumoured that one of those sites were offered to see if it was a viable option. As i say just a rumour. Rugby Council know the benefits of having speedway and stock car in their area, I'm sure they claimed themselves it was the biggest attraction for visitors into the Rugby area.

Anyway, when will be hear confirmation either way about running in 2018?

I'm sure that Rugby Council will love to have all the attractions and amieneties that they don't have to pay for in their area.  I suspect that if you asked Rugby council to stump up THEIR tax payers money though, it would be a different story. There would be plenty of people on the Northampton side of the borough who would ask big questions about why their cash is being used to prop up a Coventry team rather than supporting the local health service etc.

As for the date of the confirmation, I asked the same. Who knows? It might take as long again this time around as it took last year.

Rugby council might put money in - as long as they thought the stadium would provide an income and a return on investment.

Hailsham is the nearest town to the Eastbourne Speedway track and there, the local council (similar to Rugby one) has just spent £12m on buying a shopping centre.

It believes it can use the shopping centre to regenerate the town and provide another source of income.

It appears as if the money is being borrowed to buy the shopping centre because interest rates are so low.

The question is: would a stadium provide a source of income or be a drain on finances.

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Rugby council might put money in - as long as they thought the stadium would provide an income and a return on investment.

Hailsham is the nearest town to the Eastbourne Speedway track and there, the local council (similar to Rugby one) has just spent £12m on buying a shopping centre.

It believes it can use the shopping centre to regenerate the town and provide another source of income.

It appears as if the money is being borrowed to buy the shopping centre because interest rates are so low.

The question is: would a stadium provide a source of income or be a drain on finances.

Is Hailsham financing the development itself though? I think you'll find that it'll be giving the green light for a private developer to do the donkey work.

And if speedway was seen as such a big region regenerator then how come the sleepy hamlet of Brandon hasn't been transformed into the Las Vegas of Warwickshire over the past 50 years?