British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

The local district council which covers Hailsham (Wealden District Council) has bought the shopping centre. No doubt it will employ contractors to do the upgrades etc but it is the new owner. And Wealden District Council is financing the purchase itself (or the residents - council taxpayers - are).

4 hours ago, uk_martin said:

I'm sure that Rugby Council will love to have all the attractions and amieneties that they don't have to pay for in their area.  I suspect that if you asked Rugby council to stump up THEIR tax payers money though, it would be a different story. There would be plenty of people on the Northampton side of the borough who would ask big questions about why their cash is being used to prop up a Coventry team rather than supporting the local health service etc.

As for the date of the confirmation, I asked the same. Who knows? It might take as long again this time around as it took last year.

Money is not currently (and I'm not sure it ever will be) an issue. Land and planning permission is.

The help we need/ask isn't financial. Any sports club needing a new site councils will usually help with that especially if it has community benefits and backing. 

On 29/12/2017 at 2:48 PM, Richard Weston said:

The local district council which covers Hailsham (Wealden District Council) has bought the shopping centre. No doubt it will employ contractors to do the upgrades etc but it is the new owner. And Wealden District Council is financing the purchase itself (or the residents - council taxpayers - are).

Wow, that amazes me. Tax payers money being used for property speculation. Obviously no schools or hospitals to finance in those parts of the world then.

3 hours ago, Woz01 said:

The help we need/ask isn't financial. Any sports club needing a new site councils will usually help with that especially if it has community benefits and backing. 

Tell that to Cradley fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, adonis said:

add to that  ,Long eaton  ,Reading , Bradford and all the London tracks ,  sometimes i think people get a little confused between speedway and football 

The council found a new site for Reading.

The council gave it planning permission.

The problems were elsewhere ( and are probably ones that should concern Swindon fans)

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Wow, that amazes me. Tax payers money being used for property speculation. Obviously no schools or hospitals to finance in those parts of the world then.

It amazing the amount of commercial property that council have been buying in recent years. It's a scandal but nobody seems to care. The government should be looking at what any local council spends on commercial property and taking twice that figure form next years budget, 1 lots because they clearly don't need it and a second lot because they still have last years to spend (albeit they not have to sell the property).

Local councils should not be investing anything in no public projects. Mind you, lets not forget most of them lost a fortune when Icelandic banks went bust.

The thing that annoys me is that residents tend to complain about noise and dirt when in reality these two are a thing of the past. Regarding the noise you can barely hear the bikes down the back straight these days

19 hours ago, adonis said:

... i think people get a little confused between speedway and football 

OR they look at the city of Coventry and think, "if this city can't house it's football team (that had to seek refuge in Northampton until Wasps Rugby Club gave them a lifeline) then what chance does speedway have in that city?"

A spot of politically correct, multi-ethnic, all-inclusive, equalities and diversity appeasing "culture", anyone?

Edited by uk_martin

On 01/01/2018 at 10:54 AM, uk_martin said:

OR they look at the city of Coventry and think, "if this city can't house it's football team (that had to seek refuge in Northampton until Wasps Rugby Club gave them a lifeline) then what chance does speedway have in that city?"

A spot of politically correct, multi-ethnic, all-inclusive, equalities and diversity appeasing "culture", anyone?

The football club moved because the owners wanted to bankrupt ACL (half council owned) and get it for nothing but returned before Wasps bought it. 

• Like 1

The fact no news has been posted yet for the new season speaks volumes. Starting to think even this won't happen now. 
I miss Brandon. :(

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Woz01 said:

Zero news since the AGM, what's the hold up?

Even the BSPA suspicious of Horton's motives? It doesn't get much worse than that.:rolleyes: