British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

4 hours ago, Cliv Clav said:

Alfie Bowtell would be a good signing, he improved massively last season and still has no team places at all.

Jack P Blackburn  8.66,  J Armstrong 6.73,  A Bowtell 6.65, D Phillips 6.25, C Dwyer 4.67,  D Gilkes  3.00,  newcomer 3.00   =  38.96

6 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Jack P Blackburn  8.66,  J Armstrong 6.73,  A Bowtell 6.65, D Phillips 6.25, C Dwyer 4.67,  D Gilkes  3.00,  newcomer 3.00   =  38.96

Ryan McDonald as the other 3pt man is my guess.

Gilkes I don’t think will ride nl yet I read on Facebook that his parents are teachers and school comes first - i fully respect that. 

• Like 1

Reading the latest on the Coventry Observer and it mentions  a John Downer who is a shareholder in Brandon Estates, anyone know who he is?

32 minutes ago, Sir Jasper said:

Reading the latest on the Coventry Observer and it mentions  a John Downer who is a shareholder in Brandon Estates, anyone know who he is?

Owns Investin PLC and Brandon Estates is under that umbrella. They have many developments in the UK including Coventry, London, Nottingham and Poole. He lives in Monaco.

header_pr.jpg

macdonald_martin.jpgCOVENTRY Speedway are delighted to welcome Martyn Macdonald as their new team manager for the 2018 season.
Martyn will take charge of the Bees for their National League campaign with home matches taking place at Leicester’s Beaumont Park Stadium.
Although this is his first appointment as a manager, Martyn will be a familiar face to many, as he has been involved in the sport for nearly 30 years – several of them spent at Coventry.
He was a regular in the Brandon pits working with a number of riders – including former World Champion Greg Hancock, Stuart and Scott Robson, Martin Smolinski and more recently Kacper Woryna.
Martyn was also a member of Steve Worrall’s pit crew when the Belle Vue rider appeared as a track reserve in the 2016 British Grand Prix at Cardiff.
His active involvement dates back to 1991 when he was a member of the track staff at Middlesbrough’s former Cleveland Park venue, leading to him helping riders such as Jonathan Swales, Stuart Swales and Shane Parker.
Martyn, who lists Martin Dixon and Kenny Carter as his favourite riders of all-time, is qualified in general and aeronautical engineering and has been working in NHS mental health since 1999.
And he says he’s keen to establish a strong rapport between the riders as they look to make a success of the season. 
He said: “It will be different from my point of view because I’ll have to get to know people a lot more, rather than in the past it just being the ones I helped.
“But quite often team management is something that people in the pits area decide they want to progress to. 
“That was what I thought myself, I felt I’d really like to do it, and the opportunity is there to see what I can do.
“I’m looking forward to trying to bond the seven riders together to make a successful team out of it, and being more in charge of an overall outcome than an individual one.
“We’re going to have a pre-season get-together to get to know people, and also hopefully have a few practice sessions at Leicester to get the winter cobwebs out of the system.
“I’m also looking forward to working with Jon (Armstrong) as captain, and he’s been really helpful to both myself and Mick (Horton) with building the team, because he knows these lads first-hand.
“The aim is for everyone to help each other, and there will be a briefing before and after each meeting, because if you have any issues the worst thing that can happen is you drive home with them - so hopefully we can get things resolved on the night, and all push on together for a good season.” 

ENDS

footer_pr.jpg
  • Like 5

Interesting appointment, he obviously knows his stuff. It does sound like they've been planning the side for a while which bodes well.

Should be a whizz on the mechanical side of things; which is a big bonus at this level when many of the team are starting out and need to learn.

COVENTRY Bees are delighted to announce that Chris Simpson will be back on board in 2018 as the Centre Green Presenter.

Chris was hugely popular with the fans for many seasons but he and Bees owner Mick Horton parted company quite publicly in 2015.

But now both parties are keen to bury the hatchet for the good of the club.

Chris said: "The past is the past and neither me nor Mick can change that. The future is what’s important now, and ensuring that the historic name of the Coventry Bees lives on. The Bees are in my blood and I hope this reunion will go some way to restoring any wavering fans' faith."

This announcement will also see Chris’s son who many may remember from previous stories joining the 2018 Bees presentation team.

Tommy Knudsen Simpson (a name many will recognise) will be supplying all the music and jingles for 2018 and bringing back the quality presentation that Brandon was always famous for.

Additionally Chris will be hosting a Facebook Live Q&A with Mick Horton on a date to be confirmed - full details to follow in due course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting the sense that the whole new Coventry outfit , riders and officials, is coming together quite nicely. I hope that all the critics

who have been moaning about the enterprise at Leicester will see that and make some effort to support THEIR team and club.

• Like 1

Not been moaning personally but I AM beginning to change my mind about going, depending on a few things making it possible. I think some others will be carrying on with their stance though as long as Mr Horton is involved. :neutral:

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

Not been moaning personally but I AM beginning to change my mind about going, depending on a few things making it possible. I think some others will be carrying on with their stance though as long as Mr Horton is involved. :neutral:

I do get the impression that some fans are softening their stance. I did. The SCS statement might have made a difference to some.

• Like 1

As an outside observer, it seems to me that ALL Coventry fans MUST get behind this enterprise.  IF they do not, then

any incentive to resurrect the club within the Coventry precincts must diminish...the reverse is obviously true.

I have read many criticisms of Mick Horton which strike me as being broadly unfair and untrue. In any case, is it

not  a fact that any club is bigger and more important than any promoter who happens to be in charge during any period of its history ?

• Like 1