British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, Woz01 said:

No it doesn't show that. The Leicester situation is a temporary solution, a ONE year deal has been agreed. This is just Brandon Estates just spinning a situation to their favour which they would've done if we wasn't running too. Doesn't mention Stox at all in that section and Leicester can't run stox. Conveniently missed stox out there as it doesn't suit their argument. This also shows they are scared that the council could insist on a new facility.

Edited to add that in the next paragraph it does say that CoventryStox are not running in 2018 but the point is they would run if a local venue was suitable.

I think you are dead right here.  It might be suggested that Leicester Stadium is better located for speedway use but it is most certainly not better located for Coventry Speedway because it is 27 miles away.  

To me, to use the argument that Brandon can be demolished because the speedway team have found a new home can be easily rebutted : that home has not be tried or tested, it involves supporters travelling for a considerable distance - way, way more than most - and they have a one year term only. 

That's hardly convincing as an argument that a new and entirely satisfactory location has been found. 

However, I'd accept that it is a difficult situation for Coventry fans because if the new venture is a success it does add weight to the case for Brandon not being needed for speedway at least.

•  
  • The latest attempt to persuade bees fans to support him.
  • So many holes in that statement I can't believe anyone would be taken in by it...
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

EFFORTS to bring the world-famous Coventry Bees back to the city are ongoing, according to the club’s owner Mick Horton.

Fans of the Bees have been starved of speedway racing in Coventry for 15 months after a multi-party dispute involving Coventry Stadium owners Brandon Estates, CoventryStox, and Mr Horton resulted in the closure of the venue for 2017.

Supporters were dealt another blow when the British Speedway Promoters Association (BSPA) axed Bees from the Premiership after it had been agreed the club would race at Leicester to keep the name alive.

The decision by the BSPA meant, for the first time since 1947, there was no top flight speedway racing in Coventry.

Since then, Bees have been accepted into the National League – the third and lowest tier of British Speedway – and will this year race their home meetings at Leicester’s Beaumont Park.

But a long-term stay at Leicester isn’t part of Mr Horton’s plans, he says.

He told the Observer that he wants the club to source a new home in the Coventry or Rugby area, and revealed he’s in ongoing talks to make this possible.

“I want us to have a new home in the Coventry area,” said Mr Horton.

“It’s easy to point fingers, but I can’t keep doing that. I must focus on going forward and to keep the Bees racing.

“There are all sorts of permutations – a new stadium could take years, it’s subject to land availability, what support we get from both Coventry and Rugby councils.

“I am working with both councils regarding a piece of land, it’s ongoing.

“But I have no idea what’s going on with Brandon Estates’ planning application, my focus is on our racing in the National League.

“Yes we’d love to go back to Brandon, for me we need to be racing in the Coventry or Rugby area.”

tvMaster_horton_thumbs_up-380x253.jpg

Bees owner Mick Horton.

Despite having ambitious plans to return the club to the city, Mr Horton admitted he has ‘no idea’ how long Bees will be racing at Leicester.

When quizzed about the financial challenges the club will face moving forward, the Bees owner said: “I’ve got my own money in it and we’ll have money from rider assets too.

“Because we haven’t got a home I can only afford to run in the National League. I’m hopeful and confident die hard Bees supporters will want to come and support the team.

“I have budgeted to subsidise this season. When we raced in the National League at Brandon we had two teams, and understandably people wanted to watch the first team.

“But now we’ve got one team – and I do believe fans will come along to see what it’s all about.

“This season will be a challenging one. We’re in the dark and I don’t know what to expect.”

Bees_Parliament_3-380x253.jpg

The Save Coventry Speedway campaign group raised Bees’ fall in Parliament in November.

He also said he’s had no correspondence with Brandon Estates. But he did say he’s in regular contact with Coun Michael Stokes, leader of Rugby Borough Council.

Mr Horton said: “Coun Stokes has been very supportive and the advice he’s passed on has been so valuable.

“He would love to see us back at Brandon or at a new venue, that’s our long term aim.”

thumbnail_bees_protest13-380x447.jpg

Our campaign call outside Coventry Stadium in March attracted a huge gathering of supporters.

And when asked to provide a message to Coventry fans ahead of the new National League season, Horton said he and the club must take things one step at a time.

He added: “I can’t change what’s going on at Brandon. I have no influence.

“All I can do is work with both councils.

“It’s so hard. I can’t sit on the fence and hope something will happen for us. And we can’t still be at Leicester in five years.

“We have to have a new home. I share the fans’ frustrations.

“All I can influence is what happens on the track. For those riders putting the jacket on, they need your support.

“It’s going to be difficult for us, but we’ve got to take one step at a time.”

Bees_champion_3-380x253.jpg

The glory days: Former boss Alun Rossiter celebrates with fans after winning the Elite League playoff championship in 2010 at Poole.

Can you list the holes then please so I can avoid falling into them? At my age I find it easier letting someone else explain instead of trying to understand things myself.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Can you list the holes then please so I can avoid falling into them? At my age I find it easier letting someone else explain instead of trying to understand things myself.

I'm obviously wrong   There is at least one person that will be taken in  .:rolleyes:

No, I can't see any holes here either. What Horton is saying here goes against what BE have said in their planning application. If he was being funded by them then they won't be happy with this. Basically saying this isnt a long term solution and we need somewhere local, two things BE don't want to hear. BE are worried about having to help finance somewhere new hence in their application they worded it like Leicester would be a long term solution. We now have the owner of the club stating it isn't a long term solution and we need to get back. Sandhu now needs to do the same regarding stox and put huge pressure on BE.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, adonis said:

Like it except the bit  about Sandhu , he caused this situation , His timing regarding stealing the lights and seats was spot on for maximum effect . I would suggest cutting him out of the loop and go direct to steve rees re:.stox , getting Sandhu involved will just create more problems 

He still owns the rights to Coventry stox, if he comes out and says similar it will add weight.

4 minutes ago, adonis said:

and here we have catch 22 , because BE would simply say  , Yes he's majorly concerned about the continuation of Motorsport at Brandon , that's why he sold it at a profit ,for us to develop for housing 

He didn't sell it, the bank did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:
  •  

“But I have no idea what’s going on with Brandon Estates’ planning application, my focus is on our racing in the National League.

Translation  "The terms of the bribe from Brandon Estates say that I must not make any negative comments about the planning application to knock Brandon down.     My focus must be on successfully moving the Bees to Leicester to help show that Brandon Stadium isn't needed (as they have already said in the planning application)"

58 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Translation  "The terms of the bribe from Brandon Estates say that I must not make any negative comments about the planning application to knock Brandon down.     My focus must be on successfully moving the Bees to Leicester to help show that Brandon Stadium isn't needed (as they have already said in the planning application)"

You serious? The comments by Horton are the opposite what Brandon Estates said in their planning application. Brandon Estates made out Leicester was the long term option and Horton in this interview has said it isnt and we need to get back to the local area. He basically rubbished that whole section of the application! Don't see how that's helping BE? 

Edited by Woz01
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Woz01 said:

You serious? The comments by Horton are the opposite what Brandon Estates said in their planning application. Brandon Estates made out Leicester was the long term option and Horton in this interview has said it isnt and we need to get back to the local area. He basically rubbished that whole section of the application! Don't see how that's helping BE? 

If you want to gullibly believe what Brandon Estates and Horton are telling you, that's your business.    Some of us can see through it.

Have a read back on this thread and see where I, and others, predicted that Brandon Estates would claim that Brandon Stadium isn't now needed because the Bees are re-homed at Leicester, and see how that prediction came true exactly as we all said.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Are the stox taking a bribe as well because it needs both speedway and stox just to survive with stox bringing in more money and why does he need to take a bribe he could just sit there with Coventry speedway in his back pocket sell the assets and do nothing then it would really be the end of the bees some people just can't see the forest for the trees 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

If you want to gullibly believe what Brandon Estates and Horton are telling you, that's your business.    Some of us can see through it.

Have a read back on this thread and see where I, and others, predicted that Brandon Estates would claim that Brandon Stadium isn't now needed because the Bees are re-homed at Leicester, and see how that prediction came true exactly as we all said.

Of course they will say that but if we wasnt running theyd use that against us too. What Horton said and what Brandon Estates has said in the planning application are complete opposites so how can I believe what both are saying. Your post makes zero sense.

Edited by Woz01

10 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I'm obviously wrong   There is at least one person that will be taken in  .:rolleyes:

How can I judge if you are right or wrong if you don't explain what the holes in the statement are?  At the moment I'm not sure what to believe so I need persuading.

12 hours ago, mac101 said:

Are the stox taking a bribe as well because it needs both speedway and stox just to survive with stox bringing in more money and why does he need to take a bribe he could just sit there with Coventry speedway in his back pocket sell the assets and do nothing then it would really be the end of the bees some people just can't see the forest for the trees 

This is what people forget about, stox. Brandon was a facility that could hold both, Leicester cannot. Leicester isnt a comparable stadium nor is it 'local'. With the SCS group stox or speedway won't be left behind.

12 hours ago, Gemini said:

How can I judge if you are right or wrong if you don't explain what the holes in the statement are?  At the moment I'm not sure what to believe so I need persuading.

Ha Ha  . I don't think you need anything explaining, you are more than capable of working things out yourself.

There are many contradictions and bits of recycled news in there, and don't forget it's all coming from a guy who after five or so years at Brandon, we've learnt tells loads of lies and cannot not to be trusted

Anyhow it looks as if the  Observer report has been pulled now , I've no idea of the reason, but perhaps it's better left there as it could get nasty.:) 

• Like 2