British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

9 minutes ago, Gemini said:

There seems to be 3 reasons, although I'm sure someone else can point out a few more. 

1] Dislike of the promoter and the feeling he is in some way helping BE achieve their plans of building houses on the Brandon site  

Correct, the concern amongst the fans of the underlying reasons behind this move, plus who could be financing it. 

2] The distance to travel and the fact this isn't really a Coventry Bees team.

I think if the fans genuinely thought that this was going to help secure the long term future of the bees they would support it in their numbers. But I think we all know that this isn't Mick Horton's real motivation here.

3] National League Racing, which the majority of fans didn't support at Brandon so are hardly likely to support the team at another track.

Correct again , it's just a nomad promoter trying to gain the benefit of using the name of a once great speedway club. We are told this deal is a one year thing only so how it helps the bees going forward I really don't understand, when Horton has gleaned whatever he can from this situation he will just walk away  without any concerns for the fans in my opinion.

• Like 4

Dave Jones and others seem to me to be making huge assumptions which are not necessarily true.  For me, it does not matter

a jot who is the promoter at any track.  I go to enjoy watching the RIDERS and the TEAM.  No matter what else, here is going to

be a TEAM bearing the Bees name.  Apart from physical reasons, I can see no reason not to attend.

• Like 2

I believe Dave Jones is making statements of truths not assumptions.

He understands the larger picture that is being played out between BE and slippery Mick .

Good luck to the riders ,but this just doesn’t sit right with me  ,equally I do understand BE will spin the situation as they seem fit .

i prefer to defer support to the Save Coventry Speedway campaign and their diligent efforts to restore the Bees back to Brandon, this NL dalliance will only exist for one season i am sure the campaign group can keep the Bees name prominent for the same period of time.

As for bomber slagging off Mick Horton maybe he is a mardy sod ,but he does have first hand knowledge of him.

Flip this around where have you seen anyone praise Mick Horton in the recent past.

up the Bees

• Like 3

Anyone trying to justify this farce has obviously not read the planning application for Brandon that says (and I paraphrase) Brandon is not needed for speedway because the Bees have found a "suitable" new home in Leicester. So while the Bees ride at Leicester Brandon Estates and potentially the planners think we're out of the way and theres no problem.

I can't believe a Cradley fans of all fans is telling us we should support this joke of a venture. How has being the gypos of British Speedway at Stoke, Birmingham and Wolves worked for them in finding a new home? Rye House aside when has a club riding meeting at another track ever worked for them? Without them becoming cuckoos and kicking out the original clubs. Nope, doesn't work, never has and won't this time. This will be used as a reason to stop Coventry returning to Brandon, the Bees best chance of staying in Coventry. Because be honest, who thinks the Bees getting a new stadium in Coventry is likely? How many clubs have lost one stadium and managed to find another in less that 20 years? BV did it once, Glasgow and Edinburgh a few times but then what?

Brandon Estates will spin any situation to try get houses on Brandon. The whole planning application and financial document shows that. That's been there tactic ever since they've bought the place.

• Like 2

Some of you seem determined that Bees should die. As for the NL, Birmingham and Eastbourne fans have enjoyed it, and not missed the so-called Elite league. All you real Coventry fans, come to Perry Barr on 28th March and see for yourselves: both clubs have assembled good teams, and it will be a great match.

18 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Some of you seem determined that Bees should die. As for the NL, Birmingham and Eastbourne fans have enjoyed it, and not missed the so-called Elite league. All you real Coventry fans, come to Perry Barr on 28th March and see for yourselves: both clubs have assembled good teams, and it will be a great match.

Some feel that not going to Leicester can help Bees long term. Its tough for Bees fans and i think we all should respect whatever choices we all make. I know some Bees fans that are planning on going to some away matches. I'll be there on the 28th.

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB
14 hours ago, SCB said:

Anyone trying to justify this farce has obviously not read the planning application for Brandon that says (and I paraphrase) Brandon is not needed for speedway because the Bees have found a "suitable" new home in Leicester. So while the Bees ride at Leicester Brandon Estates and potentially the planners think we're out of the way and theres no problem.

I can't believe a Cradley fans of all fans is telling us we should support this joke of a venture. How has being the gypos of British Speedway at Stoke, Birmingham and Wolves worked for them in finding a new home? Rye House aside when has a club riding meeting at another track ever worked for them? Without them becoming cuckoos and kicking out the original clubs. Nope, doesn't work, never has and won't this time. This will be used as a reason to stop Coventry returning to Brandon, the Bees best chance of staying in Coventry. Because be honest, who thinks the Bees getting a new stadium in Coventry is likely? How many clubs have lost one stadium and managed to find another in less that 20 years? BV did it once, Glasgow and Edinburgh a few times but then what?

This is true !

Not sure what percentage of Cov fans are not prepared to support their clubs colours? all I know is that it wouldn't stop me from following Birmingham!

It seems that everything in life has become political !?

I think Coventry supporters will have to accept that 'Brandon' has gone and I doubt very much that you'll get a new stadium (which I'm sincerely sorry to see happen) I always enjoyed going there.

It might be the last chance you get to support your club !

If not supporting your team at home? then follow them away ?

Hope there's a few at PB on the 28th March! 

Watching JPB will be worth the entrance fee alone!

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

This is true !

Not sure what percentage of Cov fans are not prepared to support their clubs colours? all I know is that it wouldn't stop me from following Birmingham!

It seems that everything in life has become political !?

I think Coventry supporters will have to accept that 'Brandon' has gone and I doubt very much that you'll get a new stadium (which I'm sincerely sorry to see happen) I always enjoyed going there.

It might be the last chance you get to support your club !

If not supporting your team at home? then follow them away ?

Hope there's a few at PB on the 28th March! 

Watching JPB will be worth the entrance fee alone!

Politics involving my football club meant i decided for a couple of years to not bother going, looking back I believe the only person it hurt was me. I was boycotting due to owners.

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB
1 hour ago, Woz01 said:

Politics involving my football club meant i decided for a couple of years to not bother going, looking back I believe the only person it hurt was me. I was boycotting due to owners.

I'm gutted for both Coventry and Cradley ...... it's criminal not having these 'historic' speedway teams in their rightful place!

I've given up on football, but speedway is a hard habit to shake!

35 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I'm gutted for both Coventry and Cradley ...... it's criminal not having these 'historic' speedway teams in their rightful place!

I've given up on football, but speedway is a hard habit to shake!

Absolutely!

Over 100 trademen and women have put their names forward to help get the stadium back in working order. Fantastic response including replacing Windows, doors, armco, safety fence and air fence.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SCB said:

How many clubs have lost one stadium and managed to find another in less that 20 years? BV did it once, Glasgow and Edinburgh a few times but then what?

Berwick, Milton Keynes, Halifax, Barrow, Scunthorpe, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Weymouth, Birmingham, Bristol, Buxton and Hull. Plus Newport on the cusp.

1 hour ago, Woz01 said:

Absolutely!

Over 100 trademen and women have put their names forward to help get the stadium back in working order. Fantastic response including replacing Windows, doors, armco, safety fence and air fence.

Would love to see Speedway back at Brandon but The thing is it’s BE,s property and they might not let anybody near the place no matter how many tradesmen there is because you can be sure that when the council  knock back the planning they will go straight to appeal which will take another year and the stadium will get in a more state of disrepair which will help in there next plannning application 

Edited by mac101

45 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Would love to see Speedway back at Brandon but The thing is it’s BE,s property and they might not let anybody near the place no matter how many tradesmen there is because you can be sure that when the council  knock back the planning they will go straight to appeal which will take another year and the stadium will get in a more state of disrepair which will help in there next plannning application 

I think the majority understand that , whatever the outcome it has been a massive effort by  all concerned to get so much support for retaining the stadium.

• Like 3

davies_jeff_council.jpgTHE Campaign Group have now submitted their representations to Rugby Borough Council regarding the Brandon Estates planning application.
It has been necessary to prepare a lengthy submission in order to not only deal with the deficiencies of the application in technical terms, but also to correct numerous assertions made throughout the planning material which are either misleading or simply incorrect, and to also present an accurate timeline of the events of recent years.
We have objected to the planning application on a total of eleven grounds. These are listed in the Executive Summary below.
Each of those eleven grounds has its own section in our main document, and many give rise to other issues as the arguments are developed.
We are particularly critical of the Turley Report on viability, and the Sustainability Appraisal, as neither present a fair or accurate appraisal of the position of the stadium when acquired by Brandon Estates – or at the end of 2016 – and both are entirely tailored to fit the applicant’s own criteria rather than providing an objective view or considering other suitable options.
Other key sections refer to the damage done to the stadium since 2017; local and national policy concerning designated sports venues; the Green Belt status of the site; the negative impact of development on the area; and a wide range of other associated issues.
The main document is backed up by further information in appendices as follows, many of which confirm that information in various parts of the planning application is seriously deficient or incorrect:

- A brief introduction to the Campaign Group, our motives and our members.
- Information previously published by the applicant which is directly contradictory to material in their planning application.
- A 20-page document entitled ‘The Systematic Damage to the Iconic Brandon Stadium’ which is a full pictorial timeline of events since November 2016 and clearly shows how Brandon Estates have been seeking to benefit from their own lack of security on-site and the damage which has therefore been caused. Here we also include the outstanding response to our recent appeal for tradesmen/women.
- Professional information relating to the business position of the stadium (staging speedway and stock car racing) under the previous owners.
- Analysis and confirmation of the number of UK speedway venues over a 20-year period.
- ‘Brandon Stadium – A Brief History’ – a 15-page document with pictures summarising the history of the stadium, the major events staged there for both speedway and stock cars, and its overwhelming importance to the local community.
- The Campaign Group’s objections made to the local plan review.
- Examples of major coverage in local, national and trade press.

Our full submission, including appendices, runs to 80 pages, and provides a compelling argument not only for the rejection of the planning application but also for the stadium to be retained, re-furbished and re-opened.
The timescale of the planning application is not known at this stage, but we have registered to speak at the official hearing.
Our thanks to all speedway and stock car supporters from all over the world, official bodies and competitors of both sports, and the many local residents who have submitted their objections to this scheme to destroy one of the UK’s most famous oval motorsport venues.
Below is the Executive Summary which forms the opening of our submission:

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

The Save Coventry Speedway and Stox Campaign is an umbrella grouping of people who wish to see the long heritage of Speedway and Stock Car Racing in Coventry / Rugby continue, and be returned to the iconic Brandon (aka Coventry) Stadium as soon as possible.

The Save Coventry Speedway and Stox Campaign wishes to place on record the strongest possible objections to Planning Application R18/0186, which would result in the loss and redevelopment of Brandon Stadium. The grounds of objections are as follows:

1. The proposals are directly contrary to the provisions of both the existing development plan (the Core Strategy, adopted 2011) and its emerging review (the Rugby Borough Local Plan, 2011-2031, Publication Draft, September 2016).

2. The housing proposals conflict with the Green Belt designation of the site.

3. The housing proposals are contrary to the provisions of national planning policy, which seeks to protect sports facilities from development.

4.'Fixing Our Broken Housing Market' and ‘Planning for Growth’ provide no grounds to support the housing proposals.

5. Brandon Stadium was, and remains, a viable use for the site.

6. Brandon Stadium remains the best site for Speedway and Stock Car Racing in Rugby Borough, and the failure of the owners in their obligations to secure the site is the only reason that has led to significant damage to the buildings since January 2017.

7. Brandon Stadium has a rich and long heritage reaching back to 1928 which should be treasured and protected.

8. The redevelopment of Brandon Stadium will result in the destruction of one of the most important tourist facilities in Rugby Borough.

9. The applicants have failed to demonstrate the viability of their proposals.

10.  The proposals are premature and should be considered through the Development Plan process.

11. The Sustainability Appraisal and associated background material accompanying the planning application is deficient and does not provide sufficient basis to support the new housing proposals.

In the following report and accompanying appendices we set out the reasoned and measured arguments in support of each of the above objections. We believe that the grounds of objection outlined above against Brandon Estates’ aggressive and predatory housing proposals are weighty, and present a compelling case for planning permission for the redevelopment of Brandon Stadium for new housing to be refused.

The Save Coventry Speedway and Stox Campaign accordingly and respectfully calls upon Rugby Borough Council to embrace the long and rich sporting heritage to reject the planning application which would lead to the loss of one of the most iconic sports stadiums in the country.

In the – hopefully unlikely - event that Rugby Borough Council might be persuaded to look favourably on residential development on the site of Brandon Stadium, the Save Coventry Speedway and Stox Campaign would strongly urge the current planning application to be refused, with the applicant being advised that they should only re-apply subject to the obligation to provide an alternative replacement stadium of comparable quality being proposed for consideration in tandem.

Finally, we note that Rugby Borough Council’s Corporate Strategy 2017-20 strapline is ‘Proud of our past, fit for the future.’ We respectfully call upon them to apply this principle when making their decision on this planning application.

ENDS

• Like 8