British Speedway Forum
mac101

Coventry Bees Nl ?

Personally think Dave Rowe and company are doing a great job.  If Mick Horton wants to run speedway at Leicester and call the team Coventry Bees then that's his pigeon. But the majority of Coventry fans want to see speedway back in Coventry and preferably back at Brandon.  In my opinion running speedway in Leicester wont help one iota.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, naffer said:

Gained the support of local MPs and the local councils.

Obtained backing from Sport England.

Represented the campaign at the House of Commons.

1800 signature petition to support the retention of speedway and stock car at Brandon.

Arranged pledges to repair Brandon .

highlighted the campaign at Cov Motofest.

In  continual dialogue with Rugby Bc planning to disprove BE arguments 

strengthened the case to exclude Brandon from the local building plan.

Just a slight correction.  There were 1,800 individual letters of support written to RBC, not a petition.  According to RBC this is unprecedented.

The save Coventry Speedway campaign are doing a fantastic job and even if they fail to bring Speedway back at least Brandon Estates will never be able to build houses there in the foreseeable future.

11 minutes ago, 190557 said:

Just a slight correction.  There were 1,800 individual letters of support written to RBC, not a petition.  According to RBC this is unprecedented.

The save Coventry Speedway campaign are doing a fantastic job and even if they fail to bring Speedway back at least Brandon Estates will never be able to build houses there in the foreseeable future.

Builders play a very, very long game. If not this time, the next, if not then; the next. And so it goes on. So, yes not in the foreseeable future but I cannot think of one example of a developer handing back land they own. Always a first time :)

Edited by Richard Weston

25 minutes ago, 190557 said:

Quite right I remember now the group were keen to make the point it was not a petition.

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Builders play a very, very long game. If not this time, the next, if not then; the next. And so it goes on. So, yes not in the foreseeable future but I cannot think of one example of a developer handing back land they own. Always a first time :)

and  the new govt scheme of making planning permission easier  to help ease the housing crisis brought about by years of open door policy hasn't helped ,  it has actually created a relatively new phenomenon .land banking . they buy land they have no intention of building on , the gov.t helps push the planning through ,then they just sit back and watch the value increase , I would stake money on it , Brandon estates are not at all bothered by the  failure to get planning this time . and even less bothered about any campaign groups . Just like cradley and long eaton  ,  a few more gyppo incursions ,  and and vandalism  and the neighbours will be siding with them . the best hope would be some sort of track in a field paid for by BE ,but even if you got that .there is nowhere  where you would get planning for anything with an engine ,unless it was a car to sit on the drive of new housing . 

10 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I didn't want to be too rude as  they are beginning to play their cards now and I would hate to sit out a ban just when the topic is warming up:D

you have already played yours .and when you were called couldn't come up with any form of hand .  anyway  you might just as well be rude it's all you have left 

choke on this https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-bees-speedway-owner-praised-12662677

Edited by adonis

On 7/5/2018 at 3:04 PM, iainb said:

Don't think I said "must"

I'd be interested to know why you think it's Coventry Bees (other than in name only) and how you're identifying with them

Simply because if we had a track in Coventry we'd still be Coventry Bees. I don't see why if we race elsewhere temporarily we should change our name. The move to Leicester is a short term move not full time. If it was full time then that's a different situation.

The Save Coventry Speedway group number one priority is saving the stadium and if not ensure another site is put in its place. We need a stadium in or close to Coventry, otherwise (long term) we won't have a club anyway. It would be nice if the promotion and group were on the same page so we could have a half successful NL club while fighting for the stadium but that won't happen.

Also just to be aware that there is likely to be added protection on the stadium as advised by the government planning officer overseeing the local plan. 

Edited by Woz01

11 hours ago, adonis said:

you have already played yours .and when you were called couldn't come up with any form of hand .  anyway  you might just as well be rude it's all you have left 

choke on this https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-bees-speedway-owner-praised-12662677

Having seen some of the cards you've played in the last couple of days it's very obvious you have an intense dislike for everything that the save coventry  group  are trying to achieve.

i can' t imagine any genuine supporter  from wherever would do anything but applaud their efforts in gaining the support they have obtained in trying to reach their objective. Whatever the final outcome they  will be respected and thanked by the huge majority of decent people who appreciate the time and energy that they are putting in. 

However it's blatantly obvious from the content of your posts that you have a major issue with anything they do, an attitude I would suggest that could only come from someone who's only desire is to see them fail, and you  are so keen to protect Horton at every opportunity it's obvious that you have a connection..

In conclusion a few of my thoughts for you just so you don't forget---

As a speedway promoter Mick Horton is unfit for purpose.He has systematically destroyed   the bees reputation since taking  over the club, and now plays it out at the lowest level  in front of one man & his dog some 20 odd miles away ( that' s when he can be bothered to open the gates). He lied to and exploited his fan base  throughout his time at brandon, and no doubt continues to do so today. The fans have made it very clear they want nothing more to do with him , he is an habitual failure where running speedway is concerned and from my perspective if he went out of business tomorrow it wouldn't be any loss to anyone around speedway in general and Coventry in particular. It certainly wouldn't harm anything else that is going on presently .

Perhaps you would like to have a little choke on that.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Woz01 said:

Simply because if we had a track in Coventry we'd still be Coventry Bees. I don't see why if we race elsewhere temporarily we should change our name. The move to Leicester is a short term move not full time. If it was full time then that's a different situation.

The Save Coventry Speedway group number one priority is saving the stadium and if not ensure another site is put in its place. We need a stadium in or close to Coventry, otherwise (long term) we won't have a club anyway. It would be nice if the promotion and group were on the same page so we could have a half successful NL club while fighting for the stadium but that won't happen.

Also just to be aware that there is likely to be added protection on the stadium as advised by the government planning officer overseeing the local plan. 

I agree with everything you say except for Coventry riding at Leicester is not Coventry... If it had been a continuation of the same or similar team in the same league then maybe, but for me not a completely different set of riders in a different league

36 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Having seen some of the cards you've played in the last couple of days it's very obvious you have an intense dislike for everything that the save coventry  group  are trying to achieve.

i can' t imagine any genuine supporter  from wherever would do anything but applaud their efforts in gaining the support they have obtained in trying to reach their objective. Whatever the final outcome they  will be respected and thanked by the huge majority of decent people who appreciate the time and energy that they are putting in. 

However it's blatantly obvious from the content of your posts that you have a major issue with anything they do, an attitude I would suggest that could only come from someone who's only desire is to see them fail, and you  are so keen to protect Horton at every opportunity it's obvious that you have a connection..

In conclusion a few of my thoughts for you just so you don't forget---

As a speedway promoter Mick Horton is unfit for purpose.He has systematically destroyed   the bees reputation since taking  over the club, and now plays it out at the lowest level  in front of one man & his dog some 20 odd miles away ( that' s when he can be bothered to open the gates). He lied to and exploited his fan base  throughout his time at brandon, and no doubt continues to do so today. The fans have made it very clear they want nothing more to do with him , he is an habitual failure where running speedway is concerned and from my perspective if he went out of business tomorrow it wouldn't be any loss to anyone around speedway in general and Coventry in particular. It certainly wouldn't harm anything else that is going on presently .

Perhaps you would like to have a little choke on that.

once again  a load of unfounded opinion from you . I gave you  ample opportunity  to substantiate any one of your claims ,  but you could  not .  .now  it's blatantly obvious to  anyone reading these forums  that you  have a major attitude  towards Mick Horton  and his attempts to keep the team together  while  any other avenue gets explored , I would suggest that SCS  find themselves another mole to champion their cause  on these forums  ,because your conspiracy theories ,  unsubstantiated claims and your desire to see Mick Horton and Coventry speedwayfail , are casting a bad light over them .  I don't have any problem with what SCS are doing  as long as it's not undermining  someone elses efforts . Mick has offered to work with them  and that has fell on deaf ears , could that be for fear  ,that they may lose favour  with one or two sad,bitter and pathetic souls like you , it's ironic  that you  accuse me of an intense dislike of anybody , take a look back at your own recent posts ,and then get your own house in order before  you invent any more theories . 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, naffer said:

Define  the more harm than good argument.

I am still waiting for a definition of all the harm the campaign group are doing.

34 minutes ago, adonis said:

once again  a load of unfounded opinion from you . I gave you  ample opportunity  to substantiate any one of your claims ,  but you could  not .  .now  it's blatantly obvious to  anyone reading these forums  that you  have a major attitude  towards Mick Horton  and his attempts to keep the team together  while  any other avenue gets explored , I would suggest that SCS  find themselves another mole to champion their cause  on these forums  ,because your conspiracy theories ,  unsubstantiated claims and your desire to see Mick Horton and Coventry speedwayfail , are casting a bad light over them .  I don't have any problem with what SCS are doing  as long as it's not undermining  someone elses efforts . Mick has offered to work with them  and that has fell on deaf ears , could that be for fear  ,that they may lose favour  with one or two sad,bitter and pathetic souls like you , it's ironic  that you  accuse me of an intense dislike of anybody , take a look back at your own recent posts ,and then get your own house in order before  you invent any more theories . 

what a complete load of old cobblers.. You are losing the plot.:D

If you are trying to bully me off this forum you are wasting your time. I've seen plenty of others conduct themselves as you do, particularly when there is a controversial topic on the go.Posters of your ilk are so predictable in the way they handle criticism that they give themselves away very quickly...

Anyhow if you feel the need to reply with more of your garbage carry on ,I can deal with it.:D

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, adonis said:

Again this is totally untrue.

The Campain Group have no moles on the Forum.

We are happy to post under our own names.

Unlike yourself.

• Like 8

I'm not a regular on this forum and indeed, this being only my third post, it has to be approved by a moderator.

Though I previously registered under the name of FifteenPointMax, let me make it clear my name is Jeff Davies.

I was advised by others about comments being posted about the Save Coventry Speedway group, particularly from one or two individuals including Simon, sorry 'adonis'.

He previously posted under another name and appears for some unknown reason to decry everything we do in our efforts to Save Coventry Speedway. He says we've 'appointed ourselves as saviours of the realm' and implies we (or me) 'are always on local radio giving people false hope'.

Well, let me address a few of Simon's points:

We are simply doing our very best to see speedway and stock cars return to Brandon. We have no 'axe to grind' with anyone. We've refused to be drawn into public debates about any of the individuals involved. We believe we've acted throughout with honesty and integrity and will continue to do so. We've said all along, we don't know if our efforts will be successful but if we're not successful, it won't be through lack of trying. That's hardly giving people false hope is it?

With regard to being on local radio - yes, I've personally been on local radio many times talking about Brandon and our fight to save it. We've been on BBC Midlands Today (twice) and ITV Central News. We've twice delivered letters to 1000 local residents in Brandon and Binley Woods. We made a presentation to supporters and local residents in Brandon Club, updating them on the status. We created an electronic newsletter, which several hundred people subscribed to, as a means of updating people of progress.

It's called communication Simon. And it keeps the issue of Brandon Stadium, so dear to so many of us, in the public spotlight.

And just in case you're not familiar with other things we've been doing, here's a brief summary. We've:

Had had a total of 7 meetings with Members of Parliament, one of which was in Westminster.

Submitted a very professional 80 page document to Rugby Council in response to Brandon Estates' planning application, exposing numerous misleading, inaccurate and blatant untruths in their application.

Submitted a similar document to Rugby Council regarding the Local Plan.

Created a document called the 'History of Brandon Stadium' which we've had printed and circulated to the members of the Planning Committee

Spoken at the Local Plan Public Hearing and accompanied the Government Inspector on a site visit to the stadium.

Escalated the plight into the national press with a full page article in the Mail on Sunday as well as a feature in the Times on Line.

Co-ordinated opposition to the redevelopment resulting in an unprecedented 1800 people sending in letters of objection to the proposal.

Managed to get 11 Members of Parliament / Lords to sign a letter 'urging Rugby Council to reject the planning application and actively work towards a return of the sports to the stadium'

Met with Sport England to get their support for the stadium to remain as a sports stadium

Met with the Local Enterprise Partnership

Met with the leader of Coventry Council and his team

Met (several times) with the leader of Rugby Council

Met with the BSPA and the ACU

Got more than 100 skilled tradesmen / women as well as many local businesses to support a rebuild of the stadium should it fall back into the hands of a party who wants to reinstate the sports

Got Greg Hancock, Barry Briggs and Frankie Wainman Jnr to produce videos in support of the campaign to save the iconic stadium

Met numerous times with the Principle Planning Officer dealing with the planning application, as well as the Head of Growth and Investment at Rugby Council

Staged an exhibition at the Brandon Hall Hotel (to counter a Brandon Estates exhibition on the same day)

Communicated with parties that are interested in taking on the stadium in the event of Brandon Estates choosing at some point to 'offload it'

So, those are some, but by no means all, of the things we've been doing. We've been honest with people. We've tried to keep people informed. We've most certainly not given people false hope.

With regard to Mr Horton running National League at Leicester, look at our website and read the messages of support we've posted regarding the venture. We've not said anything negative about it at all. If it's successful, all well and good. If it fails, it's because supporters, for whatever reason, choose not to go. It will have no bearing on what we are doing. Running at Leicester whilst at the same time campaigning to save Brandon is not incompatible.

One final point. Please take note of what the Government Inspector said in his report following the public hearing of the Local Plan. He agreed with the argument we put forward at that hearing, that Rugby Council Policy did not adequately protect sporting stadiums like Brandon. As a result of that, Rugby Council are in the process of revising their policies which will make it more difficult for the developers to get planning permission. And further more, if they did get planning permission either locally, or on appeal, something called Paragraph 74 would apply, requiring an alternative venue of equal or better standard, to be in place.

So that was a huge positive for our campaign.

Will all this effort achieve anything? Will we get back to Brandon? Time will tell. But we've got off our backsides and had a go.

It disappoints me therefore, that people like you Simon, sit at your keyboards and knock us for trying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

what a complete load of old cobblers.. You are losing the plot.:D

If you are trying to bully me off this forum you are wasting your time. I've seen plenty of others conduct themselves as you do, particularly when there is a controversial topic on the go.Posters of your ilk are so predictable in the way they handle criticism that they give themselves away very quickly...

Anyhow if you feel the need to reply with more of your garbage carry on ,I can deal with it.:D

Oh lord no .I wouldn't dream of bullying you off the forum ,that 's more your M.O. than mine , I can't wait for your next load of conjecture ,innuendo, assumption  or perhaps you will ramp up to downright lies as your'e obviously floundering , please keep it up  ,haven't enjoyed anything so much  since I took on a one legged man in an arse kicking competition .