British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Speedway ... A Way Forward

We don't have long to wait to hear of The Way Forward and I wonder what we will think of the BSPA's latest plan after we have had a season of it? Crystal Ball. Must be the Last Chance Saloon?

The lure of speedway will always be the spectacle. But equally as important must be the rules. Set race nights may or may not work, I doubt they will. But they will be harder to implement, surely, than a proper promotion and relegation system, which promoters have ran away from for decades. Surely a better system than the Play-offs.

Is moving to a fixed race night the answer? Maybe, but I hope it's done for the right reasons, for the good of British speedway, not for the benefit of mercenary overseas riders who have used and abused British speedway for the last few years.

Will fixed race night attract more fans? That is the real question, and to be fair we may not know until we try it.

​But something that seems to get overlooked is 'fixing the product'... what I mean by that is when the ingredients all mix well, our sport is fantastic, great thrilling action and mixed with team rivalry can be good as any other sport. But sometimes the product isn't right, long drawn out meetings, crap racing (do we need to look at some tracks?), stupid rules, a different 1-7 each week, no real feeling of a 'team', poor atmosphere. Maybe that's an area that needs addressing in addition to fixed race nights.

• Like 3

Is moving to a fixed race night the answer? Maybe, but I hope it's done for the right reasons, for the good of British speedway, not for the benefit of mercenary overseas riders who have used and abused British speedway for the last few years.

Will fixed race night attract more fans? That is the real question, and to be fair we may not know until we try it.

​But something that seems to get overlooked is 'fixing the product'... what I mean by that is when the ingredients all mix well, our sport is fantastic, great thrilling action and mixed with team rivalry can be good as any other sport. But sometimes the product isn't right, long drawn out meetings, crap racing (do we need to look at some tracks?), stupid rules, a different 1-7 each week, no real feeling of a 'team', poor atmosphere. Maybe that's an area that needs addressing in addition to fixed race nights.

Fixed race night will, they hope, attract the superstars. Tragic though it is, even when we had superstars to attract crowds were falling. In the 70s and 80s, fans wanted more dirt on the tracks to encourage more passing. So the promoters ignored them fully and decided to increase the race format by a couple of heats.When a rider like Phil Collins became disillusioned with how bare tracks were and quit British racing, you'd think they'd have listened.

• Like 2

Well said, all well and good introducing fixed race nights but try to get the product right as well!!

It's not the fixed race nights alone that will attract the fans, although regular home fixtures are a must.

What SHOULD attract the fans will be a HOME 1 to 7 v a VISITING 1 to 7 something very rare in recent times. Most do not like the idea of fixed race nights but I think it is the only solution for the U.K. Mondays & Wednesdays for 2018 BUT Wednesdays & Thursdays for 2019. Also days should be identified now when rained off fixtures could be run IF NEEDED.

The lure of speedway will always be the spectacle. But equally as important must be the rules. Set race nights may or may not work, I doubt they will. But they will be harder to implement, surely, than a proper promotion and relegation system, which promoters have ran away from for decades. Surely a better system than the Play-offs.

Cor Blimey! We saw precious little of that at KLS and the sight of Iversen doing his stuff for several years failed to nail sufficient feet to the Saddlebow Rd terraces and I don't believe it will on fixed nights. Nowhere enough will return unless the on track passing is hugely increased i.e. 50% of heats at least being a true racing spectacle. And with NO TV millions coming ( can't see BT investing much in domestic racing unless it included a gimmick handicap races? ) 4th to 1st wasn't SO rare 10 years ago. But with modern bikes on modern tracks ( with many modern riders attitude " Oh well, I can always make the gate in my next race" ) Bringing back the spectacle is likely to be Mission Impossible.

• Like 2

Cor Blimey! We saw precious little of that at KLS and the sight of Iversen doing his stuff for several years failed to nail sufficient feet to the Saddlebow Rd terraces and I don't believe it will on fixed nights. Nowhere enough will return unless the on track passing is hugely increased i.e. 50% of heats at least being a true racing spectacle. And with NO TV millions coming ( can't see BT investing much in domestic racing unless it included a gimmick handicap races? ) 4th to 1st wasn't SO rare 10 years ago. But with modern bikes on modern tracks ( with many modern riders attitude " Oh well, I can always make the gate in my next race" ) Bringing back the spectacle is likely to be Mission Impossible.

Correct!

However you dress it up, it is just not appealing to the younger generation. I would say the average age of most of the crowd is 50 to 65 years old, and when they became hooked there was no computer games, multiple television channels, Internet, etc. It was football, cricket and three tv channels. There is now so many things youngsters can do, most of them I have never heard of, I honestly do not know how you get them interested in going and retaining that interest.

If there was big money to be made, someone like Barry Hearn would have made it the new darts. He has really turned that sport on its head, and all events sell out.

I think most supporters are just glad if their team run next year, and hope to see decent racing every week..

• Like 5

However you dress it up, it is just not appealing to the younger generation. I would say the average age of most of the crowd is 50 to 65 years old, and when they became hooked there was no computer games, multiple television channels, Internet, etc. It was football, cricket and three tv channels. There is now so many things youngsters can do, most of them I have never heard of, I honestly do not know how you get them interested in going and retaining that interest.

If there was big money to be made, someone like Barry Hearn would have made it the new darts. He has really turned that sport on its head, and all events sell out.

I think most supporters are just glad if their team run next year, and hope to see decent racing every week..

recent reports suggest that young folks are abandoning football too - mainly to do with cost admittedly. Apparently more bet on football than attend.

I personally don't want speedway to turn into the circus of inebriation and loutishness that darts is.

• Like 1

recent reports suggest that young folks are abandoning football too - mainly to do with cost admittedly. Apparently more bet on football than attend.

I personally don't want speedway to turn into the circus of inebriation and loutishness that darts is.

I totally agree with that.

The Speedway experience needs improving in so many ways - but there are limits.

The fixed race nights in teh Premiership League is only introduced to keep on with the double-up of riders in both leagues and avoid fixture clashes of the Premiership and Championship clubs. Not sure if this is really desireable, all it will do is increase the number of double-up riders between both leagues.

It won't be long until some clubs chose to, or have to, race one or other of their home meetings on off-nights other than their exclusive Mondays and/or Thursdays. Anyway, no more than half of the teams can have a home meeting on the same night, while the other half has to race as the away teams on that night.

I have my doubts if fixed race will be a good thing for British Speedway.

• Like 1

The fixed race nights in teh Premiership League is only introduced to keep on with the double-up of riders in both leagues and avoid fixture clashes of the Premiership and Championship clubs. Not sure if this is really desireable, all it will do is increase the number of double-up riders between both leagues.

It won't be long until some clubs chose to, or have to, race one or other of their home meetings on off-nights other than their exclusive Mondays and/or Thursdays. Anyway, no more than half of the teams can have a home meeting on the same night, while the other half has to race as the away teams on that night.

I have my doubts if fixed race will be a good thing for British Speedway.

It wont quite work like that as there are far fewer fixtures than there are race nights, so not all teams will necessarily be racing on the same night.

Most people go to darts matches to have fun, they dress up with the hope of getting on TV, they hold up banners to get on TV, they drink, they sing and chant for their favourite players, simple lol. Bit like Polish Speedway fans tbh.

So to attract younger people promoters need to get the terraces rocking, or groups if fans need to inject some fun into supporting their team ala Ipswich Massif lol But all this needs the riders to do their bit for the fans too 😊

• Like 2

Fixed race nights for the Premiership with the Championship on any of the other 5 is a must after the problems of this year.

As for doubling up the riders must give priority to the UK, if ruled out through sickness and unable to ride then they abide by the med certificate and not allowed to come back early.

I agree with others that any attempt to round up averages usually means one or two teams gain an immediate advantage over the rest.

I also agree that riders should automatically have an average (actual or calculated) for all leagues and these should be applicable for one month I see no great reason for ALL official matches to be counted (League, Play Offs and KOC) the more matches that count the harder it is to manipulate it.

I have never liked Tactical Rides and these should have be dumped years ago, if promoters cannot afford to pay tac rides then just run a season without them and see how that pans out, I doubt it would make to much difference, as for matches I think the format used is good and works well but all aggregate matches should be golden heats if teams are tied after 30 heats.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 2

Fixed race nights for the Premiership with the Championship on any of the other 5 is a must after the problems of this year.

As for doubling up the riders must give priority to the UK, if ruled out through sickness and unable to ride then they abide by the med certificate and not allowed to come back early.

I agree with others that any attempt to round up averages usually means one or two teams gain an immediate advantage over the rest.

I also agree that riders should automatically have an average (actual or calculated) for all leagues and these should be applicable for one month I see no great reason for ALL official matches to be counted (League, Play Offs and KOC) the more matches that count the harder it is to manipulate it.

I have never liked Tactical Rides and these should have be dumped years ago, if promoters cannot afford to pay tac rides then just run a season without them and see how that pans out, I doubt it would make to much difference, as for matches I think the format used is good and works well but all aggregate matches should be golden heats if teams are tied after 30 heats.

You hooked me there bcd.

Great Post - totally agree with everything you say.