British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Speedway ... A Way Forward

Most people go to darts matches to have fun, they dress up with the hope of getting on TV, they hold up banners to get on TV, they drink, they sing and chant for their favourite players, simple lol. Bit like Polish Speedway fans tbh.

So to attract younger people promoters need to get the terraces rocking, or groups if fans need to inject some fun into supporting their team ala Ipswich Massif lol But all this needs the riders to do their bit for the fans too 😊

Aboslutely - more should try it!

Up the MASSIF 🔊🔊👍

• Like 2

Just my opinion, but doing away with doubling up / down won't affect first time visitors to speedway, from my experience of people who have come with me before. It will, however, please existing supporters.

First time viewers, again just my experience, don't want bored to death with talk of guests, averages, rider replacement, doubling up etc, they want entertainment, they want decent facilities, they want value for money, basically something which is going to make them want to come back. For me, that comes from decent racing, it doesn't have to be just down to passing, just seeing somebody challenging is enough. Keep the meeting flowing, keep the interaction with the crowd, whether it is music, interviews, anything to avoid long gaps between races.

But the sport in general could do itself a big favour by doing a lot more to keep in touch with all their fans. There should be a gradual build up during the week on social media and a huge build up on the day of the meeting. Try and exploit every method of cheap advertising available.

• Like 4

Most people go to darts matches to have fun, they dress up with the hope of getting on TV, they hold up banners to get on TV, they drink, they sing and chant for their favourite players, simple lol. Bit like Polish Speedway fans tbh.

So to attract younger people promoters need to get the terraces rocking, or groups if fans need to inject some fun into supporting their team ala Ipswich Massif lol But all this needs the riders to do their bit for the fans too 😊

Well we had to do something at Ipswich as the racing was rather poor at times so hence the MASSIF was born. You go out for the evening to have fun and enjoy yourself .

Certainly livened up a few meetings in the past year even the Panthers fans seemed to enjoy it in the KOC final 1st leg at their place .

• Like 1

Well we had to do something at Ipswich as the racing was rather poor at times so hence the MASSIF was born. You go out for the evening to have fun and enjoy yourself .

Certainly livened up a few meetings in the past year even the Panthers fans seemed to enjoy it in the KOC final 1st leg at their place .

And good on ya 😁 Every club needs a 'Massif' lol
  • Like 1

Aboslutely - more should try it!

Up the MASSIF

Do you mind if I give that a miss. :nono::P

Each track should have their own massif...it really does turn a boring night into a fun one.

Whatever happened to macca56 in the end ?

He disappeared completely.

Happy ending then.

• Like 1

Be nice to take the massif to Lynn next year for the local derby

Would certainly enjoy that trip .

• Like 2

So to attract younger people promoters need to get the terraces rocking, or groups if fans need to inject some fun into supporting their team ala Ipswich Massif lol But all this needs the riders to do their bit for the fans too

Exactly the point I was trying to make, but you have nailed it. It is no good encouraging 18 - 25 year olds to come along and expect them to behave like us old farts. They like to have a beer or ten, bit of a sing song and a laugh. Most of the blokes who work for me are in this age group, and that just about sums out their nights out. It will take a massive mind set change for the majority of us to accept it is the way forward, but change is not always a bad thing. Unless they stand in my spot, obviously.
  • Like 1

Exactly the point I was trying to make, but you have nailed it. It is no good encouraging 18 - 25 year olds to come along and expect them to behave like us old farts. They like to have a beer or ten, bit of a sing song and a laugh. Most of the blokes who work for me are in this age group, and that just about sums out their nights out. It will take a massive mind set change for the majority of us to accept it is the way forward, but change is not always a bad thing. Unless they stand in my spot, obviously.

looks like I must still be 25 in my head then 😛

Just dont bother with so many beers as much now!

Thats why I liked speedway, I started as an old fart, loved the fun and banter of speedway and the fans, also had a bit of racing thrown in. The fun has all but disappeared in speedway, the old farts you refer to have remained and everyone have become as miserable as them, sitting about with 1 pint that last for hours talking about the good old days. No wonder younger people dont want to come to speedway, would you want to end up like the miserable average speedway fan. Time to start looking forwards and not looking back to the so called good old days, it is doubtful that they were that good anyway. In the same way people remember hot summers and harsh winters, when you look at the facts, the UK has had 5 hot summers in 65 years and just 2 harsh winters in 75 years..

Thats why I liked speedway, I started as an old fart, loved the fun and banter of speedway and the fans, also had a bit of racing thrown in. The fun has all but disappeared in speedway, the old farts you refer to have remained and everyone have become as miserable as them, sitting about with 1 pint that last for hours talking about the good old days. No wonder younger people dont want to come to speedway, would you want to end up like the miserable average speedway fan. Time to start looking forwards and not looking back to the so called good old days, it is doubtful that they were that good anyway. In the same way people remember hot summers and harsh winters, when you look at the facts, the UK has had 5 hot summers in 65 years and just 2 harsh winters in 75 years..

Euthanasia to empty the terraces of the boring old farts? Will the Exiting New Era for 2018 ( filled with terrific on track close racing & passing ) really then bring in hordes of 18 - 30's who can Do It Their Way? No problem then just give all fans over 40 years old a live feed to their computer or TvV for £5 a match . I will happily walk away with that and in fact "snap their hand off".