British Speedway Forum

Probably still deciding who can have what biscuits.

And who can blame them, the choice between a Ginger Nut and a Chocolate Digestive needs to be carefully debated. Guests, doubling up can wait, this is serious stuff.

• Like 1

Just a quick reminder to what was said after last year's AGM...

Promoters feel this dramatic revamp was necessary in a financially challenging climate – and whilst chairman Keith Chapman admits there is an element of cost cutting there is plenty for fans and sponsors to be excited about.

He said: “This was probably the best AGM I’ve been to in all my time in the sport. There was a genuine desire to try and change things and secure the future of league racing in the UK. I certainly think we have done that and I’m very excited about the months ahead. Every promoter acknowledged something had to be done after some very difficult times for the sport – now we’ve done something and I’m looking forward to a bright future.”

Vice Chairman Rob Godfrey said: “I believe we have achieved a total restructuring of British Speedway. We have created leagues which are sustainable and have a structure with promotion and relegation and the same rules. Now we have rebranded the sport, it’s time to deliver.”

• Like 2

Hopefully the first thing that is changed is Chapman and Godfrey replaced.

• Like 3

In reality, all that happened was that some teams moved up a league, some teams moved down a league. The top league was renamed and the middle league was renamed but nothing really changed.

Promotion and relegation was introduced and led to the most farcical and ill supported meetings where Leicester used guests for two riders who were riding for the opposition.

Speedway teams lost their identity and when a team has to use a guest for their number one because he is riding for another team somewhere else then things have gone drastically wrong.

At least Rob Godfrey admitted in the Star this week that the best AGM had been the worst but these guys are still in charge and we have to trust them to come up with something better this weekend.

There is so much negativity on this site but there are people on here have been fans of the sport for most of their lives and care about what is happening to the sport they love. Fans need to be listened to and the promoters have to make some real changes if the sport is to survive. Many fans hate the double points rule, hate the excessive use of guests, hate the liberal use of the doubling up system but are routinely ignored.

• Like 3

Promoters feel this dramatic revamp was necessary in a financially challenging climate – and whilst chairman Keith Chapman admits there is an element of cost cutting there is plenty for fans and sponsors to be excited about.[/size]

He said: “This was probably the best AGM I’ve been to in all my time in the sport. There was a genuine desire to try and change things and secure the future of league racing in the UK. I certainly think we have done that and I’m very excited about the months ahead. Every promoter acknowledged something had to be done after some very difficult times for the sport – now we’ve done something and I’m looking forward to a bright future.”[/size]

Vice Chairman Rob Godfrey said: “I believe we have achieved a total restructuring of British Speedway. We have created leagues which are sustainable and have a structure with promotion and relegation and the same rules. Now we have rebranded the sport, it’s time to deliver.”[/size]

The same rules that don't apply to all teams equally.

Hopefully the first thing that is changed is Chapman and Godfrey replaced.

Your most probably right, though replaced by who, IMO its all much of a muchness when it comes to picking the BSPA Chairman.

• Like 1

Your most probably right, though replaced by who, IMO its all much of a muchness when it comes to picking the BSPA Chairman.

Ideally an ex-rider with no ties to a club who knows what the teams/fans want.

I'd be pretty content with just a few things changed to be honest. I'll get blasted for saying that no doubt.

Set race nights makes sense. With the double ups these days it is the common sense way forward

Scrapping the relegation race off completely.

A strong top league. 42 is acceptable. It's the most marketable league in the country.

Scrap the double points. The old tactical sub rule was dropped for a reason. Young prospects having 3 rides where world class riders were getting 6. Just run it as it is. If it's 1 sided so be it. That's sport.

The 70s and 80s were the 70s and 80s. This is now. This is the current climate. Promote what we have. It's a good product when it goes to plan. When things run slick even a 1 sided affair can be entertaining. What we don't need is pointless hold ups for prolonged track grading unless it's urgent. Intervals in meetings that have had hold ups are a big ball ache too.

Half the time speedway is awesome though. It just needs to be promoted better. If people love it then great. If they don't they don't . Not everybody loves cricket snooker darts or rugby but we know it exists.

There is a lot to like. Just with a few changes.

• Like 4

I'd be pretty content with just a few things changed to be honest. I'll get blasted for saying that no doubt.

Set race nights makes sense. With the double ups these days it is the common sense way forward

Scrapping the relegation race off completely.

A strong top league. 42 is acceptable. It's the most marketable league in the country.

Scrap the double points. The old tactical sub rule was dropped for a reason. Young prospects having 3 rides where world class riders were getting 6. Just run it as it is. If it's 1 sided so be it. That's sport.

The 70s and 80s were the 70s and 80s. This is now. This is the current climate. Promote what we have. It's a good product when it goes to plan. When things run slick even a 1 sided affair can be entertaining. What we don't need is pointless hold ups for prolonged track grading unless it's urgent. Intervals in meetings that have had hold ups are a big ball ache too.

Half the time speedway is awesome though. It just needs to be promoted better. If people love it then great. If they don't they don't . Not everybody loves cricket snooker darts or rugby but we know it exists.

There is a lot to like. Just with a few changes.

Uhh? You are really having a laugh. Multiply the existing fan base for those sports (cricket, snooker darts and rugby ) by 100 if you are feeling kind or 1,000 if you are bring realistic! If there are no more than 30k speedway fans in the country ( or lets say 50k because it's near Christmas) . We are all confident that it needs to be promoted better / properly - THAT is the problem.

Promoters feel this dramatic revamp was necessary in a financially challenging climate – and whilst chairman Keith Chapman admits there is an element of cost cutting there is plenty for fans and sponsors to be excited about.

He said: “This was probably the best AGM I’ve been to in all my time in the sport. There was a genuine desire to try and change things and secure the future of league racing in the UK. I certainly think we have done that and I’m very excited about the months ahead. Every promoter acknowledged something had to be done after some very difficult times for the sport – now we’ve done something and I’m looking forward to a bright future.”

Vice Chairman Rob Godfrey said: “I believe we have achieved a total restructuring of British Speedway. We have created leagues which are sustainable and have a structure with promotion and relegation and the same rules. Now we have rebranded the sport, it’s time to deliver.”

The only worthwhile comment is - "Ha Ha Ha" Sidesplitting.

Edited by waytogo28

Why do you bother on this forum, you come across as someone who hates the sport

Uhh? You are really having a laugh. Multiply the existing fan base for those sports (cricket, snooker darts and rugby ) by 100 if you are feeling kind or 1,000 if you are bring realistic! If there are no more than 30k speedway fans in the country ( or lets say 50k because it's near Christmas) . We are all confident that it needs to be promoted better / properly - THAT is the problem.

The only worthwhile comment is - "Ha Ha Ha" Sidesplitting.

I'm not an idiot!!!!!. I wasn't comparing fan bases. Because those sports are well promoted even if people don't like them at least they know what they are! Many non speedway fans don't know what it is even "is that the cars"

Every year people get arsey that nothing is released during the weekend, every year people seem shocked that they don't here anything until the 8pm Sunday night pres release. Speedway fans are amazing.

Totally missed the point being made. It wasn't a comparative exercise, but just giving examples of sports that could have the same image.

Every year people get arsey that nothing is released during the weekend, every year people seem shocked that they don't here anything until the 8pm Sunday night pres release. Speedway fans are amazing.

yes, but surely there should have been some sort of leakage by now.