British Speedway Forum

Just a quick reminder to what was said after last year's AGM...

Promoters feel this dramatic revamp was necessary in a financially challenging climate – and whilst chairman Keith Chapman admits there is an element of cost cutting there is plenty for fans and sponsors to be excited about.[/size][/size]

He said: “This was probably the best AGM I’ve been to in all my time in the sport. There was a genuine desire to try and change things and secure the future of league racing in the UK. I certainly think we have done that and I’m very excited about the months ahead. Every promoter acknowledged something had to be done after some very difficult times for the sport – now we’ve done something and I’m looking forward to a bright future.”[/size][/size]

Vice Chairman Rob Godfrey said: “I believe we have achieved a total restructuring of Britishll Speedway. We have created leagues which are sustainable and have a structure with promotion and relegation and the same rules. Now we have rebranded the sport, it’s time to deliver.”[/size]

I would imagine who ever is writing the Press Realise after the AGM will have to put it in the bin and start again, as I’m sure he would have used most of the above yet again

[/size]

yes, but surely there should have been some sort of leakage by now.

like the typical speedway fan of advancing years....

like the typical speedway fan of advancing years....

Not when you have the pads on.

• Like 1

The main ingredient of speedway is the racing, we need the majority of races to be exciting and the promoters and riders need to do whatever it takes to provide this excitement. Great racing will keep the fans we have and bring others in, it makes for great atmosphere, it is the answer lol

• Like 6

The main ingredient of speedway is the racing, we need the majority of races to be exciting and the promoters and riders need to do whatever it takes to provide this excitement. Great racing will keep the fans we have and bring others in, it makes for great atmosphere, it is the answer lol

Couldn't agree more . A fair and well prepared track and two evenly matched sides and you forget all about the politics and red tape complicating the sport we love .

• Like 3

Perhaps thats where some have gone wrong and have been confused when told to bring a supply of 'Tenas' to Tenerife 😆
  • Like 1

Just a quick reminder to what was said after last year's AGM...

Promoters feel this dramatic revamp was necessary in a financially challenging climate and whilst chairman Keith Chapman admits there is an element of cost cutting there is plenty for fans and sponsors to be excited about.[/size][/size]He said: This was probably the best AGM Ive been to in all my time in the sport. There was a genuine desire to try and change things and secure the future of league racing in the UK. I certainly think we have done that and Im very excited about the months ahead. Every promoter acknowledged something had to be done after some very difficult times for the sport now weve done something and Im looking forward to a bright future.[/size][/size]Vice Chairman Rob Godfrey said: I believe we have achieved a total restructuring of Britishll Speedway. We have created leagues which are sustainable and have a structure with promotion and relegation and the same rules. Now we have rebranded the sport, its time to deliver.[/size]

I would imagine who ever is writing the Press Realise after the AGM will have to put it in the bin and start again, as Im sure he would have used most of the above yet again [/size]

They say the same crap every year and being brutally honest I dont expect it to change anytime soon, Godfrey admits in the star this week they got it massively wrong at the AGM last year but I dont think the people running the sport are really capable of sorting it out.

Lets be fair on recent history would you be taking any advice or leads from Chapman or Godfrey.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 2

Have to agree with big cat diary and it really needs someone from the outside looking in, with no connection to any team, to sort out the problems. One of the biggest factors, in my opinion, is that a large majority of the current promoters are not "Promoters", just fans who have a successful business, which underpins the speedway, that allows them to be called promoters. The more successful promoters today, like most of those in the 60's, 70's and 80's, actually promote/d their sport because it is/was their living or have a speedway business plan that is profitable. Until the problems of team equality, badly prepared tracks and the current diehard supporters being taken for granted I can't see this great sport attracting, and keeping, new supporters.

Edited by LesR
  • Like 4

Quite a few fans have said that Speedway should be a Tena sport!! :rofl::cheers:

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 5

Have to agree with big cat diary and it really needs someone from the outside looking in, with no connection to any team, to sort out the problems. One of the biggest factors, in my opinion, is that a large majority of the current promoters are not "Promoters", just fans who have a successful business, which underpins the speedway, that allows them to be called promoters. The more successful promoters today, like most of those in the 60's, 70's and 80's, actually promote/d their sport because it is/was their living or have a speedway business plan that is profitable. Until the problems of team equality, badly prepared tracks and the current diehard supporters being taken for granted I can't see this great sport attracting, and keeping, new supporters.

Have to agree,most Promoters today have Speedway as an expensive hobby or " tax relieve".Unfortunately without them there would be no Professional Sport.
  • Like 2

WE fully understand why everyone is so keen for news from the AGM. However, every item on the agenda has to be considered and debated thoroughly and until final agreements are in place it would not be prudent to issue updates. Thank you for your patience.

• Like 1

When they say everyone ...I take it they mean the 25 thousand fans that watch speedway in the UK., in fact it might not even be that many.

• Like 1

When they say everyone ...I take it they mean the 25 thousand fans that watch speedway in the UK., in fact it might not even be that many.

Speedway GB on twitter has 24000 followers compare that to the cricket ECB who have 740000 followers the sport

Speedway GB on twitter has 24000 followers compare that to the cricket ECB who have 740000 followers the sport

i dont follow them on twitter but to be honest Im shocked that they havent blocked me yet