British Speedway Forum
Bavarian

Australian Sidecar Speedway

Major Aussie sidecar speedway events coming up

March 30 : Gillman - F.I.M. Oceania Sidecar Speedway Championship / meeting abandoned due to rain, the re-staging date is April 7

April 6 : Gillman - F.I.M. Speedway Sidecar World Cup

April 21 : Pioneer Park - Australian Sidecar Speedway Championship

Edited by Bavarian

Wazza & andrew also won the Oceania cup on Sunday at Gillman. Not a bad weekend for wolverine.. 

It's a shame that there is no TV coverage of the FIM sidecar speedway events, not even any YouTube video footage from Gillman of the World Cup or the Oceania Championships.

It was also quite sad that there were only four non-Aussie competitors in these two meetings, three Kiwis, and the one American, but no British this year. Headland rerpesenting France is a bit of a joke, really.

There is also a rumour that Gillman won't stage these FIM sidecar events next season. Does anyone know, if true, where they will be going, or if they will be held at all ? New Zealand perhaps?      

Edited by Bavarian

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

It was also quite sad that there were only four non-Aussie competitors in these two meetings, three Kiwis, and the one American, but no British this year. Headland rerpesenting France is a bit of a joke, really.

Extract from UK crews' Blog;
"Current British Champion Paul Whitelam stated  “I’ve made the journey for the past three seasons, but with only one event being offered and without start or guaranteed prize money I could not warrant the expenditure this year. Hopefully the World Cup will be run closer to home in the near future, Belle Vue would be a great venue”.  
Former British Champion Mark Cossar also spoke of his wish for the event to come closer to home. “I’m gutted to have to turn my place in Australia down, but we have done the trip over there so many times over the past six years. If the championship is to work the FIM has to run it in Europe again”. 

It may seem about time FIM gave Europe another opportunity, but unfortunately the Continentals aren't interested in the 1000cc class, (not one entry from mainland Europe on the last occasion there in 2009, in France on grass,) only in the 500cc.  So chances will be slight.

https://www.sidecarspeedway.co.uk/2019-news

• Like 1

Aussie title qualifier at pioneer park last night, Moon, Headland, Harrison, Niesche, Bond, Bottrell, Firth, Rudloff. They join seeded riders tonight for the Aussie title, main draw tonight, Firth, Cohen, Golding, Rudloff, Buchanan, T Headland, Liptrott, Bond, Monson, Moon, Plaisted, Harrison, Bottrell, Niesche, Treloar, M Headland. Should b a great night o racing. 

Cheers Duane. 

Andrew Bucahnan in his farewell meeting. Glad to see that he has recovered enough to take his place after the bad crash he had in the World Cup meeting at Gillman

Sunday night, Darrin treloar won his 11th national title, he was equal with Leigh Adams (solos) & Garry rush (sprint cars ) on 10 each, not any more. He did it the hard way, came through the semi final, had last pick in the final & flew from gate4. Current world champ warren Monson 2nd, world number 2 Mark plaisted 3rd & Sam Harrison on a bmw was 4 th. Track was sketchy but eventually came right. Good racing, no 1 got hurt, although my rider & myself tipped over another competitor out the start, he was fine. Big crowd for the weekend. Rob & Lou Wilson were there, haven't seen them in years. Spud (Andrew Buchanan ) did a wave to the crowd lap has he has pulled the pin. Nice bloke is spud. If I was technically smart I'd post the final but I ain't smart! If you have Facebook it should be on a page called dirty six racing or speedway sidecar 6. I will try & find it. 

Cheers duane.

Quite a big sidecar event coming up next Saturday, November 16, at the Newcastle (N.S.W.) Showground

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGHHibKPDAXQbW1ryUBMmuATkC1Zu8Zm/view

It's round three of four of the EAST COAST SIDECAR SHOOTOUT (ECSS) Series, and this meeting at Newcastle is also for the Jack Bond Cup 

New Zealanders Paul Humphrey/Chris Chatfield are current series leader on 96 points from the first two rounds.

Quite an impressive line-up for Saturdays main Event, with the 11-tiem Australian Champion Darrin Treloar coming up from Sydney to have a skid in preparation for his trip across the ditch to contest the Australasian Championship in New Zealand in January.