British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a4poster

Bspa Agm Video.

I have just watched Nigel Pearsons video regarding the recent AGM. How amateurish it shows the sport with what looks like it is shot in a Pub with another sport sport playing in the background.

PS, I am not anti-Pearson in anyway - I maybe in the minority on here but enjoy his commentary and think overall he does a good job for the sport.

Edited by a4poster
  • Like 2

Watch it with the subtitles - very funny

I did by mistake. Some gems like Alan Ross Loser

I have just watched Nigel Pearsons video regarding the recent AGM. How amateurish it shows the sport with what looks like it is shot in a Pub with another sport sport playing in the background.

PS, I am not anti-Pearson in anyway - I maybe in the minority on here but enjoy his commentary and think overall he does a good job for the sport.

Yes - it does look amateurish. All they needed to do was alter the camera angle, so that the speedway backdrop was prominent, rather than a television set in a pub/bar. I spent as much time trying to figure out what action was showing on the television set, as I was listening to what Nigel Pearson had to say.

In my opinion, the content of the video was also questionable. There has been justifiable criticism on here and elsewhere about the conference in Tenerife being a 'jolly.' To present a professional image, you don't directly address such criticisms, you should just stick to the message that the conference started on Friday and ended on Sunday, as well as the decisions reached

It is these amateurish attempts at "getting the message out" that many fans condemn them for. Why would a major sponsor ( without previous knowledge of the sport ) approach them with a UK speedway wide deal? It's just laughable. The BSPA must hope that they have, with these minor tweaks , held on to as much of the existing fanbase as possible. The longed for newbie hordes are unlikely to pop in as as result of the nonexistent marketing campaign proposed for 2018.

Watch it with the subtitles - very funny

I did by mistake. Some gems like Alan Ross Loser

:lol: Looking forward to seeing how Martin Buechele ik does for Leicester

• Like 1

I actually thought it was a good idea so the BSPA deserve credit for trying something different to reach the fans.

Perhaps delivery could have been done with the backdrop of a bike or a track rather than a pub chair with some other sport on in the background, but hopefully they will achieve that as they move forward. The idea is good, but need to work on the delivery.

Is Pearson still the BSPA press officer then?

• Like 2

:lol: Looking forward to seeing how Martin Buechele ik does for Leicester

As a new rider he could come in on a very low average and perhaps double it! And he doesn't ride in his home country does he?

Pearson is waste of space as a commentator.

Needs someone with authority and who has the respect of the public

The people who run the sport do come over as amateurish. Get old publications from the sport's early years and speedway was kept in shape by people who looked the part. Suits, blazer, shirt and tie. Even 30 years ago there seemed a bit of authority about our promoters.

However, recent years have seen a reduction of the men who we expect to lead the sport. I believe the red blazers from 20 years ago was a low point, but we've had for years men in charge who wear blinking anoraks and run the gaff from a blinking portacabin!

Has anyone else noticed though... speedway people don't seem to look the part in anything they wear?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Has anyone else noticed though... speedway people don't seem to look the part in anything they wear?

For some reason when I see photos from their 'formal' occasions.

I am always reminded of those reality shows dedicated to showing Travellers' weddings.

Their menfolk always looked strangers to business attire.

Lucky Heather anyone ?

Edited by Grand Central

Except those in Mickey Mouse outfits on a speedway bike. Thought I'd say it before waytogo or GRW

I actually thought it was a good idea so the BSPA deserve credit for trying something different to reach the fans.

Perhaps delivery could have been done with the backdrop of a bike or a track rather than a pub chair with some other sport on in the background, but hopefully they will achieve that as they move forward. The idea is good, but need to work on the delivery.

Is Pearson still the BSPA press officer then?

I quite agree. I think it was meant to be a catchup personal interview, to get the info out to another audience. Filmed in a pub, well it might have been the easiest and most appropriate location to peacefully film the clip. Funny how the 'learned' on here cry out for greater use of the internet and media and only criticise it when it happens. BTW there has been a marked increase in the use of say Facebook/Twitter with updates and news being pushed, I think, on direction after last years AGM. I say that because Redcar, Berwick and Newcastle now carry regular bulletins on Facebook/Twitter with 'prompting' posts of meetings coming up, as well as success elsewhere by their own riders.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

Greater use of social media is to be welcomed; in fact, the BPA have used Twitter far more readily this year than in previous years. After all, if used successfully it is a virtually cost free way of advertising your business.

However for social media to be used effectively, it has to look slick and professional, especially media clips on YouTube. There have been some clips of great races for meetings across the country this year, which have been uploaded onto YouTube and then embedded onto the BSPA's Twitter feed. Unfortunately, Nigel Pearson's summary video didn't fall into the category of either slick or professional. All they needed to do was alter the camera angle, to remove the pub/bar backdrop; hardly the most mentally taxing thing to do!

The video might inform the converted, but the converted are getting fewer by the year! The BSPA needs to attract corporate sponsorship, to help put the sport on an even keel, but no corporate backer would consider spending part of their marketing budget on a sport, which appears to be organised/run as an after thought by men down the pub.

The BSPA bother to communicate with the followers of the sport (I really can't use the word 'fans' given what I see here) and that just gets torn apart and the cranks spit their venom against Pearson, thinking because they don't like him (are jealous of him?) and those they talk to here that they must be right.

God help anyone who works in speedway and actually tries to help it. Aside from football it must be the most obnoxious and ungrateful sport and with some of the worst spectators I know. I am profoundly grateful to have got out before you all found somewhere to hide behind false names and throw poison at all and sundry. It's hard to avoid the feeling that many of you still cling to the sport just so you've got something to constantly shoot down. Yes the BSPA makes mistakes but the way too many talk here it's clear that they will only be satisfied once their prophecies of doom finally come true and the sport in Britain goes under.

I'm sure there are genuine fans on here who really do want to help but they seem to be drowned out by those banging on about the same petty gripes.

Philip Rising has said here many times that those who actually make the TV coverage happen are perfectly happy with Pearson. Just because a lynch mob has formed on the BSF it doesn't mean the guy has no respect outside their own very limited circles.

Yes there were ways in which the video could have been tweaked but if I'd been involved and wanted to try to help the speedway public to understand what's gone on I'd really be wondering why I bothered, as I did a few years ago and got clear of iot all.

I love the sport with a passion but some of the people it attracts on both sides of the fence really, really make me despair.

I visit this forum because amongst all of the rubbish there are the occasional insights and genuine information but there are times when you have to push so much to the side to get to it it's sickening.

In my days of being paid to talk into microphones, and that wasn't just in speedway, or sport for that matter I often came across a very important motto. "It's not about me" Perhaps some of you might like think about that one and maybe put speedway ahead of your own selfish wants?

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 1

Just do us a favour and bugger off once and for all.