British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a4poster

Bspa Agm Video.

I thought it was a good idea. The BSPA get criticised for not communicating with fans. So now we know their thinking behind certain decisions. I think regular videos like this during the season can only be a good thing.

• Like 2

Rob McCaffery wrote " I visit this forum because amongst all of the rubbish there are the occasional insights and genuine information but there are times when you have to push so much to the side to get to it it's sickening. "

As you have contacts within and to the BSPA , cannot you - with others in a similar position - collect and collate the insights and genuine information together with the excellent ideas that are put forward as possible solutions to some of the worst ills and present them in a : Good News & Great Ideas Fan Feedback" folder to those on the BSPA.

They can then be read by them ,"heard" by them and "considered" by them - without reading the venom and negativity ( sometimes put forward in a humorous way ).. As far as fan feedback goes, the feeling is that the BSPA do tend to "throw out the baby with the bathwater". If they do that ( and reject positive ideas which come out of long involvement and passion for the sport ) - then they cannot expect to avoid the flack can they?

I have just watched Nigel Pearsons video regarding the recent AGM. How amateurish it shows the sport with what looks like it is shot in a Pub with another sport sport playing in the background.

PS, I am not anti-Pearson in anyway - I maybe in the minority on here but enjoy his commentary and think overall he does a good job for the sport.

Shouty Pearson is a dreadful commentator (as he was a dreadful centre green presenter), but he is one of very few journalists (actually, he probably isn't a qualified journalist) who appear to care about speedway.

The people who run the sport do come over as amateurish. Get old publications from the sport's early years and speedway was kept in shape by people who looked the part. Suits, blazer, shirt and tie. Even 30 years ago there seemed a bit of authority about our promoters.

However, recent years have seen a reduction of the men who we expect to lead the sport. I believe the red blazers from 20 years ago was a low point, but we've had for years men in charge who wear blinking anoraks and run the gaff from a blinking portacabin!

Has anyone else noticed though... speedway people don't seem to look the part in anything they wear?

See where you're coming from, but the likes of former Middlesbrough promoters Ken Knott and Malcolm Wright always wore blazers and ties on race nights. It presented a professional image.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

Given in this age bloggers who post videos on youtube from their rooms can attract so many viewers – and many sports shows are presented in relaxed atmospheres in studios with fans looking for the most part uncomfortable behind the presenters, I think a guy presenting a video in a pub is pretty much on point with the general feel re presentation just now.

• Like 2

The BSPA bother to communicate with the followers of the sport (I really can't use the word 'fans' given what I see here) and that just gets torn apart and the cranks spit their venom against Pearson, thinking because they don't like him (are jealous of him?) and those they talk to here that they must be right.

God help anyone who works in speedway and actually tries to help it. Aside from football it must be the most obnoxious and ungrateful sport and with some of the worst spectators I know. I am profoundly grateful to have got out before you all found somewhere to hide behind false names and throw poison at all and sundry. It's hard to avoid the feeling that many of you still cling to the sport just so you've got something to constantly shoot down. Yes the BSPA makes mistakes but the way too many talk here it's clear that they will only be satisfied once their prophecies of doom finally come true and the sport in Britain goes under.

I'm sure there are genuine fans on here who really do want to help but they seem to be drowned out by those banging on about the same petty gripes.

Philip Rising has said here many times that those who actually make the TV coverage happen are perfectly happy with Pearson. Just because a lynch mob has formed on the BSF it doesn't mean the guy has no respect outside their own very limited circles.

Yes there were ways in which the video could have been tweaked but if I'd been involved and wanted to try to help the speedway public to understand what's gone on I'd really be wondering why I bothered, as I did a few years ago and got clear of iot all.

I love the sport with a passion but some of the people it attracts on both sides of the fence really, really make me despair.

I visit this forum because amongst all of the rubbish there are the occasional insights and genuine information but there are times when you have to push so much to the side to get to it it's sickening.

In my days of being paid to talk into microphones, and that wasn't just in speedway, or sport for that matter I often came across a very important motto. "It's not about me" Perhaps some of you might like think about that one and maybe put speedway ahead of your own selfish wants?

Are you "Rob McCaffery" or "Rob McCaffrey"? The latter used to be on Sky Sports, according to wikipedia

Given in this age bloggers who post videos on youtube from their rooms can attract so many viewers – and many sports shows are presented in relaxed atmospheres in studios with fans looking for the most part uncomfortable behind the presenters, I think a guy presenting a video in a pub is pretty much on point with the general feel re presentation just now.

Hurray this should double the number of fans attending UK speedway, if it's so in tune with modern "marketing". 25,000 newbies pouring into a stadium near you ( well just 1,000 per track but that will make everything in the garden rosy on a local basis ) How lucky we are that the BSPA leadership is so in touch with the real world of today.

Hurray this should double the number of fans attending UK speedway, if it's so in tune with modern "marketing". 25,000 newbies pouring into a stadium near you ( well just 1,000 per track but that will make everything in the garden rosy on a local basis ) How lucky we are that the BSPA leadership is so in touch with the real world of today.

I'm afraid you are not really in the touch with the real world, if you jokingly think you expected that outcome. But hey ho its sarcasm so it's alright.

Marketing can be a drip drip with initiatives, and being supplemented with other initiatives. I don't see companies like Sainsburys, Asda, etc just putting an advert in a local freebie paper. I do see leaflet drops, National adverts on TV, Bill boards and national newspapers.

You tend to talk down everything at the moment, which gets tedious and loses you credibility.

What a boring post on so many levels - buh bye

I'm afraid you are not really in the touch with the real world, if you jokingly think you expected that outcome. But hey ho its sarcasm so it's alright.

Marketing can be a drip drip with initiatives, and being supplemented with other initiatives. I don't see companies like Sainsburys, Asda, etc just putting an advert in a local freebie paper. I do see leaflet drops, National adverts on TV, Bill boards and national newspapers.

You tend to talk down everything at the moment, which gets tedious and loses you credibility.

There is so rarely anything positive to talk up, that is the problem.

There is so rarely anything positive to talk up, that is the problem.

You have changed for the worse since you first joined the forum this year. Too may trying to be in the gang.

You have changed for the worse since you first joined the forum this year. Too may trying to be in the gang.

So Post 17 in this thread is being negative? If Rob McC doesn't feel able to do this positive act, then maybe you could ( as you have the ear of some promoters ). I would happily do it myself but when I collected together several fans positive ideas for change at KLS three years ago and offered them as feedback, ( in response to the request in the programme ) there was not even an email reply from anyone at KLS, to simply say "Thanks" . And even when the same collected ideas were sent on to the then co-promoter and the Chair of the Supporters club . Still a Zero response. How can you then try to be positive when your offers have been unheard and presumably rejected? Hmmm. Bound get a cynical view of their interest in your opinion. The collected ideas were used in the SS along those of many others.

The BSPA bother to communicate with the followers of the sport (I really can't use the word 'fans' given what I see here) and that just gets torn apart and the cranks spit their venom against Pearson, thinking because they don't like him (are jealous of him?) and those they talk to here that they must be right.

God help anyone who works in speedway and actually tries to help it. Aside from football it must be the most obnoxious and ungrateful sport and with some of the worst spectators I know. I am profoundly grateful to have got out before you all found somewhere to hide behind false names and throw poison at all and sundry. It's hard to avoid the feeling that many of you still cling to the sport just so you've got something to constantly shoot down. Yes the BSPA makes mistakes but the way too many talk here it's clear that they will only be satisfied once their prophecies of doom finally come true and the sport in Britain goes under.

I'm sure there are genuine fans on here who really do want to help but they seem to be drowned out by those banging on about the same petty gripes.

Philip Rising has said here many times that those who actually make the TV coverage happen are perfectly happy with Pearson. Just because a lynch mob has formed on the BSF it doesn't mean the guy has no respect outside their own very limited circles.

Yes there were ways in which the video could have been tweaked but if I'd been involved and wanted to try to help the speedway public to understand what's gone on I'd really be wondering why I bothered, as I did a few years ago and got clear of iot all.

I love the sport with a passion but some of the people it attracts on both sides of the fence really, really make me despair.

I visit this forum because amongst all of the rubbish there are the occasional insights and genuine information but there are times when you have to push so much to the side to get to it it's sickening.

In my days of being paid to talk into microphones, and that wasn't just in speedway, or sport for that matter I often came across a very important motto. "It's not about me" Perhaps some of you might like think about that one and maybe put speedway ahead of your own selfish wants?

Think someone's got their knickers in bit of a twist about the golden boy. This thread really wasn't a Pearson bashing thread (compared to others).