British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Are Leicester, Rye House, Somerset And King's Lynn Cheats?

Cheating clubs out of 8 point riders to give themselves an unfair advantage?

Cheating fans of seeing riders that have remained loyal to the team they support riding for them?

Cheating riders out of work if they don't, then, sign one of the 8 pointers themselves?

Cheating by voting for an average cut-off above that of their own heatleaders so that they don't have to lose any of their own riders under their new rule?

Or are they voting for the good of the sport as a whole by.... er.... nope, can't think of a reason how that can be the case, but maybe there is one?

But isn't that how the sport has worked since as far back as I can remember?Punish the best teams so they have to lose riders with the idea you start the season roughly level.An idea which has never worked.No idea why the continue with an idea that has proved to be detrimental.Upsets fans who want to see a team develop,upsets riders as well.

• Like 4

Was there also this melodramatic BS when Hancock (or Hamill - can't remember) was forced out with the same rule some about 15 years or so ago? I honestly can't remember.

• Like 4

Was there also this melodramatic BS when Hancock (or Hamill - can't remember) was forced out with the same rule some about 15 years or so ago? I honestly can't remember.

Probably. It's been going on for years.

It needs to be stopped. The sport needs to have a proper set of rules that everyone knows. You can't just vote in new rules every year with every club looking to vote for themselves.

• Like 3

One problem is there have generally always been more clubs who had a negative season than ones who have had a positive one,so the negs rule!!They will always tend to have the upper hand by saying if you don't help us we drop down or out......and despite everything we always end up with good and bad teams

Edited by iris123

One problem is there have generally always been more clubs who had a negative season than ones who have had a positive one,so the negs rule!!They will always tend to have the upper hand by saying if you don't help us we drop down or out......and despite everything we always end up with good and bad teams

Looking at the riders these sides currently have on their books, plus the possible teams being put up on here, it could be that they aren't even looking for help from this rule but merely trying to stunt the growth of the top sides.

No they are not cheats merely self interested promoters exactly the same as all the others. If it benefits them they will vote for it. It's been that way for decades and until or unless there is an independent body in charge of the sport it will be the same in ten years time, always assuming there are any speedway clubs left of course.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 4

Perhaps these clubs shouldn't be in the top division of Speedway. Ironically, they are the 4 teams that tracked rubbish teams for most of last season, mainly consisting of Championship standard riders. Are they trying to bring the other clubs down to their level? I doubt that will entice more fans to turn up, or for BT Sport to take on the TV rights for a full season.

Worst thing Belle Vue did was win the treble.

We had to choose between current WC Ivan Mauger or Peter Collins.

Rider control was funny as we had to offload a superstar year on year whereas everybody else at best lost Nobby McNobody.

Dumbing down has gone on for years and here we are now.

It could have been worse, if The Aces has topped the table the points limit would have been slaughted again.

• Like 1

But isn't that how the sport has worked since as far back as I can remember?Punish the best teams so they have to lose riders with the idea you start the season roughly level.An idea which has never worked.No idea why the continue with an idea that has proved to be detrimental.Upsets fans who want to see a team develop,upsets riders as well.

In the majority of years yes, but very few managers do not really think about it and work the system for the following year.

While this thread title and sentiment is a little OTT, and I'm no fan of top heavy teams or imbalanced leagues (especially with only eight teams competing) I would have preferred there to be no eight pointer restrictions. Doesn't allow the league to prosper.

That said the main point of fixed racenights for me is to avoid second division fixtures. Any big names we do / would have attracted is a bonus.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 2

What a rather strange thread title. With only 1 rider above the 8 points and a 42.5 team average to me it seems like the middle to bottom order with be packed with riders of the same kind of standard. Hopefully we wont see to many young lads on 2 point averages thrown to the Wolves. Should in theory make for some close racing... I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

So The League will now be devoid of top names who fly in, trap, ignore the paying public, collect their pay cheque and move on to the next gig. What's not to like ?

• Like 2

Are Somerset, King's Lynn, Leicester and Rye House cheats errr nope not when there are a further 4 votes to equal the voting. Besides is it cheating for trying to level the playing field in a legal way... No

• Like 1

Are Somerset, King's Lynn, Leicester and Rye House cheats errr nope not when there are a further 4 votes to equal the voting. Besides is it cheating for trying to level the playing field in a legal way... No

There's 3 other votes. Belle Vue had no vote.

While this thread title and sentiment is a little OTT, and I'm no fan of top heavy teams or imbalanced leagues (especially with only eight teams competing) I would have preferred there to be no eight pointer restrictions. Doesn't allow the league to prosper.

That said the main point of fixed racenights for me is to avoid second division fixtures. Any big names we do / would have attracted is a bonus.

agree . The points limit is there to keep teams relatively even. If s team wants to go top heavy and be weaker at reserve then do be it. The key is setting the points limit correctly and making sure anyone without a 2017 pl average comes in on an average which reflects their 2017 form globally.

A really disappointing decision imo. It clearly not cheating. And its not going to balance things up, 42.5 is probably too high and Poole being able to get someone like Woryna on a 4.5 clearly gives them a big advantage.

• Like 3