British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2018

On 03/04/2018 at 11:30 AM, The Little Un said:

I think that the IOW could be a surprise package this year as there is not a rider who could not or should not increase their average. Some riders do hit a plateau and that is true for at least one IOW rider but that does not mean they cannot make progress in the future. Three years ago it seemed that Jason Doyle was going to be a Championship number one and maybe a Premiership heat leader at best but something changed and he is now where is, world champion. I just hope that the team has some success this year and come October the fans feel that they have had their monies worth.

Living locally in Chichester I would love to support a club such as the IOW but transport is a big problem and even if I came over on my scooter the cost is prohibitive.

Hi, I read you comments with interest as I do with as much as I can on here to gather feedback or to look at how we can improve our night of family fun. However, one sentence in your post set my alarm bell ringing.... "come October the fans feel that they have had their monies worth."

Now, from my point of view not one fans has ever said to me "Barry, change the team line up - we have to win" or "Barry, I dont feel like I am entertained..." in fact, reality was quite the opposite. Fans we saying to me (because I do try and say goodbye and hello to as many as I can) thanks for another great night of racing we will win next week or "loved the racing, we were unlucky tonight"..... you see winning is great, but its not everything. Feeling entertained vice disappointed because your team lost are too different things... I was gutted (and always will be) everytime our team loses because I want to win... but more important to me is that everyone has a great time, are entertained, feel valued, love the Warrior Way, know that Martin and I along with all our volunteers do the very best for our club. So, I dont agree that come October fans will feel any more value for their ££ as they did last season. We put on a great family show from start to finish and this is the future of speedway. I hope that comes across how I meant it to be  :) and if anyone doesnt feel they have value, write to me speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk and tell me why.

Edited by barrybishop
  • Like 4

On 03/04/2018 at 11:30 AM, The Little Un said:

I think that the IOW could be a surprise package this year as there is not a rider who could not or should not increase their average. Some riders do hit a plateau and that is true for at least one IOW rider but that does not mean they cannot make progress in the future. Three years ago it seemed that Jason Doyle was going to be a Championship number one and maybe a Premiership heat leader at best but something changed and he is now where is, world champion. I just hope that the team has some success this year and come October the fans feel that they have had their monies worth.

Living locally in Chichester I would love to support a club such as the IOW but transport is a big problem and even if I came over on my scooter the cost is prohibitive.

I am also interested to know - what is cost prohibitive and if we can help in some way to get you to the stadium. I think our paramedic or one of our team for example,may travel from your area. All the best

59 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

I am also interested to know - what is cost prohibitive and if we can help in some way to get you to the stadium. I think our paramedic or one of our team for example,may travel from your area. All the best

Do not get me wrong, I am not complaining about the club or the riders. I live in Chichester and without a car getting to the IOW is difficult. The cost prohibiting was based on what it would cost if I used public transport, which with the railway time tables would mean my getting home as late as 1am some weeks. I would be happy to support the IOW and if that meant I could get a lift as long as I did not mind getting to the track at mid-day, I would be happy as Larry. The IOW has a place in my heart already as Brynn was somebody I always looked up to during all his years with Lakeside.

Best wishes,

Judy

PS: I do have a 50cc scooter, so I could travel to meet somebody locally.

Edited by The Little Un

On 16/04/2018 at 1:07 PM, The Little Un said:

Do not get me wrong, I am not complaining about the club or the riders. I live in Chichester and without a car getting to the IOW is difficult. The cost prohibiting was based on what it would cost if I used public transport, which with the railway time tables would mean my getting home as late as 1am some weeks. I would be happy to support the IOW and if that meant I could get a lift as long as I did not mind getting to the track at mid-day, I would be happy as Larry. The IOW has a place in my heart already as Brynn was somebody I always looked up to during all his years with Lakeside.

Best wishes,

Judy

PS: I do have a 50cc scooter, so I could travel to meet somebody locally.

If you can get to Portsmouth on the scooter or by public transport then our paramedic said he will bring you there and back on the ferry  :)

Warriors Aim To Make It An Opening Double

After last week’s action packed win over the Belle Vue Colts, Warrior fans will be hoping for more of the same as the home side take on Plymouth Devils at The Andrew Younie Smallbrook Stadium this Thursday evening.

A superb all-round team effort from both riders and their pit crews was the ideal way to get the new speedway campaign up and running so now it is time for the Warriors to launch their assault on the National Trophy against a Devils side that features former Island skipper James Cockle following his move west. Wise-cracking Cockle will undoubtedly be out to rack up a big score against his former employers and will rely on strong support from big hitting Adam Roynon and rapidly improving teenager Henry Atkins.

Whilst Cockle could turn out to be a thorn in the home team’s side, the Warriors will be making plans of their own to deal with the Devonians who won all three visits to the Island last season. Both sides have made personnel changes over the winter months and on paper look evenly matched so the chances of a close encounter of the speedway kind should make for another gripping night of fun and track excitement.

Co-promoter Barry Bishop (pictured), proud as a peacock after the Belle Vue win, said, “Last week’s fantastic family meeting had everything, passion, great action, lots of fun and a brilliant win over last season’s league champions. If this week’s meeting is half as entertaining our fans will once again leave very satisfied. Be sure, we want a win to set us off on the best possible start in the National Trophy. I cannot wait”.

The riders on duty are expected to be:

Warriors (from): Scott Campos, Ben Hopwood, Ben Morley, Adam Portwood, Jamie Sealey, Danno Verge and Chris Widman.

Devils (from): Bradley Andrews, Richard Andrews, Henry Atkins, James Cockle, Macauley Leek, Adam Roynon and Ryan Terry-Daley.

Speedway supporters around the world will have been saddened at the weekend to hear of the death of Ivan Mauger, a six time world champion in the 60’s and 70’s, at the age of 78. Immediately before Thursday’s meeting, there will be a short tribute to one of the very greatest speedway riders of all time.

As usual, the turnstiles will open at 5.30 p.m. and the pits will be open for viewing from 5.45 p.m. to 6.15 p.m. The Warrior mascots will then take to the track for some demonstration laps followed by the grand parade of riders at 6.45 p.m. with tapes up on the first race at 7.00 p.m. sharp.  The ever-popular kid’s on-track cycle/running race will also feature during the speedway interval.

• Like 2

On 18/04/2018 at 7:56 AM, barrybishop said:

If you can get to Portsmouth on the scooter or by public transport then our paramedic said he will bring you there and back on the ferry  :)

That would be great, if we could start next week it will give me time to sort out the best route to Portsmouth on my scooter. I am sure that I can find the ferry terminal, all I will need is the time to be there. Your paramedic will be able to recognise me as I will be the only one carrying a pink crash helmet.  When I said about people feeling they have got their monies worth it was in no way a suggestion that they might not but more of a reflection of what every speedway promoter hopes for every year and for me it is the measure of success. Next week against the Eagles should be another cracking match. I do sometimes wonder what is success: Last night I went to one of my darts league's presentation night and picked up two runner-up trophies; so was that success or failure?

Many thanks,

Judy

23 minutes ago, The Little Un said:

That would be great, if we could start next week it will give me time to sort out the best route to Portsmouth on my scooter. I am sure that I can find the ferry terminal, all I will need is the time to be there. Your paramedic will be able to recognise me as I will be the only one carrying a pink crash helmet.  When I said about people feeling they have got their monies worth it was in no way a suggestion that they might not but more of a reflection of what every speedway promoter hopes for every year and for me it is the measure of success. Next week against the Eagles should be another cracking match. I do sometimes wonder what is success: Last night I went to one of my darts league's presentation night and picked up two runner-up trophies; so was that success or failure?

Many thanks,

Judy

Great to hear there has been a positive outcome to this and hope you enjoy many entertaining matches on the Island. As for runners up definitely a success plus you can only truly appreciate winning after you have tasted defeat.

1 hour ago, The Little Un said:

Many thanks,

Judy

Email me speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk - will be easier for me to put you in touch. Welcome to the club :)

1 hour ago, The Little Un said:

Many thanks,

Judy

Success for me is a sustainable business where we participate to the best of our ability with three objectives - to win, to be solvent (and therefore continue) and most importantly entertain. Success is when people shake my hand and thank me for a great night, win, lose or draw... success is watching our kids from the school progress, success is building a team of volunteers with a common objective, success is knowing that I could not do another thing to make it better... (when I say I, I mean Martin and I). What success isnt is going bankrupt to win, buying victory, or not entertaining, in my view. :)

• Like 2

I had a promoter as a personal friend many years ago ( sadly long since passed away). His definition of success for a Speedway promoter

was to put enough bums on seats to be profitable.  Think about it and all other "successes" must be secondary to that basic requirement.

• Like 1

IOW lose to Plymouth,,..Richard..Andrews the big difference at reserve...surprised he.isnt in the top five,.very tight till heat 14',,

11 hours ago, waco said:

IOW lose to Plymouth,,..Richard..Andrews the big difference at reserve...surprised he.isnt in the top five,.very tight till heat 14',,

Richards only scored 14 pts from his 12 programmed rides this season, not had the best of times before last night, he is at 6 which is the harder of the 2 reserve positions. Plymouths team built on 4 x 4 pt riders so should always have a decent reserve but will lack strength in depth  unless 1 of them steps up to the 3rd heat leader role.

Edited by iand

At home they will be hard to beat at Atkins is good enough to be the 3rd heat leader there, away from home I don’t think they will always be that amazing. 

Roynon - out and out number 1, RTD at 2 should be hitting 6 Home and away. Bradley Andrews I think may be a bit out of his depth at 4. Cockle is a good number 5 not the best but will best pretty much all second strings and a majority of his races at home against other heat leaders based purely on his gating ability and size as a rolling road block. Andrews has been around a long time and at reserve should clean up all heat 2s & 14s. Leek isn’t going to get any better. They’re best of swapping leek and Andrews round 

Tonight's meting at Plymouth is OFF !...

Reports today that Jamie Sealey is being replaced by Shaun Tedham. At least they are doing something.