British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2018

1 hour ago, waco said:

Improved performance from IOW against Plymouth with a narrow victory,, and a sensational debut for Alfie Bowtell  17 points,this is just what the lad needs a great confidence boost.......,It has to be said that Plymouth were unfortunate to lose Roynon to injury in his 3rd ride  or the result may have gone the other way,,,,wish him well for a speedy recovery

Thought Barry Bishop did it all very nicely with his comments reported by SpeedwayGB this morning.

Statesmanlike. 

• Like 1

Heard several positives from IOW last night including an improved prepared track with reduced dust, improved scores / competitiveness from Verge & Widman, the storming debut from Bowtell and an actual home win.

Not sure how well received Ben Hopwood was helping in the Plymouth pits but if Bowtell maintains that form he may have done the Warriors a favour. 

Best Wishes to Adam Roynon though who would have undoubtedly had a big say in the final result and despite some unpleasant sounding injuries from accounts it could have been far worse.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:45 PM, GWC said:

The lower NL points limit is to encourage better riders to move up and so free up team places for new riders.

But due to the doubling up rule Championship teams have Strong line ups so the chances for NL riders becomes limited.

The sport doesn’t seem to reward improvement as you up your average you can put yourself out of a job, as Ellis Perks.

I think the lower NL limit will only lead to riders struggling to make the step up to the Champ! Even if they're scoring well that may only be due to riding in a weaker league, not improving as riders! Look at the likes of Phillips and Bickley struggling in the Champ, shows how big the gap is!

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I think the lower NL limit will only lead to riders struggling to make the step up to the Champ! Even if they're scoring well that may only be due to riding in a weaker league, not improving as riders! Look at the likes of Phillips and Bickley struggling in the Champ, shows how big the gap is!

In retrospect the gap has always been huge.

Going back to 2005 Steve Boxall was a 10 point NL rider and a 3 in the PL (Championship) as was Matt Wethers. Both had opportunity to move up with their respective clubs.

Its really how much opportunity they are given and more importantly encouragement, backing (cash) and a bit of talent of course.

1 hour ago, northyorksbear said:

Hi looking at coming to IOW speedway next week. Any tips,  advice or info that would be useful?

Check out the Chicken curry, its spot on mmmmm.

14 hours ago, northyorksbear said:

Hi looking at coming to IOW speedway next week. Any tips,  advice or info that would be useful?

Check out their website (www.wightwarriors.co)  Sometimes a bit slow to load but packed with information including travel arrangements and codes. Any specific questions can be sent by email to speedwayontheisland@yahoo.co.uk    You get a warm welcome and look out for promoter Barry Bishop in a blue and yellow shirt. Say hello to him, he loves meeting fans - he knows they help pay the bills.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, northyorksbear said:

Definitely the chicken curry - made by Mr Bishop's own fair hand - the sausage casserole or the steak pie. All home made and way, way better than the usual rubbish you get at speedway.

20% discount on the ferry using the Warriors website and if you are coming on the cat, it gives details of how to book a free taxi from the pier to the track.

You won't regret it. A truly superb little club that sets the standards for others to follow.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 7/12/2018 at 8:46 PM, northyorksbear said:

Hi,

Sorry I didnt respond soon... had a weekend off of speedway and just went to Peterborough twice and had dinner with Ged on the Saturday - much to my Lisa's pleasure  :)

Please do introduce yourself to me on Thursday - and do try and arrive early.... we have the pits open from 5.45, mascots on the track from 6.15.... with it being Cobra's meeting there will be I am sure lots of surprises too.

I am always in Yellow and Blue... so say hi.

All the best

Barry

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2018 at 4:07 PM, szkocjasid said:

To be fair the likes of Bickley and Phillips are finding it harder this season because quite often they are coming up against riders with 5+ averages. 

Due to the great weather we are having at the moment we've decided to holiday at home  , head south and have a few days in Bournemouth this week. Poole on Wednesday and the I.O.W. on Thursday , both 1st time visits so  we're looking forward to visiting both tracks.

Edited by Fullmax
  • Like 2

Sure you’ll enjoy the Island. If you look back a few posts on here you’ll see some useful advice. Very welcoming place and do say hello to the promoter Barry Bishop. He’s a real people person and very happy to hear what you think. 

We are all very proud to have been nominated for an Isle of Wight Radio Local Heroes award. Martin and I are invited to the awards dinner on Nov 8th so we will keep you all posted.

This is a very nice surprise and totally out of the blue so, now we know about it, it will be just brilliant to win it although being nominated is equally as fabulous when you consider where the club was just 4 years ago.

Thanks everyone for your support in 2018 and enjoy the off season :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barrybishop said:

We are all very proud to have been nominated for an Isle of Wight Radio Local Heroes award. Martin and I are invited to the awards dinner on Nov 8th so we will keep you all posted.

This is a very nice surprise and totally out of the blue so, now we know about it, it will be just brilliant to win it although being nominated is equally as fabulous when you consider where the club was just 4 years ago.

Thanks everyone for your support in 2018 and enjoy the off season :)

Congratulations, nice to see hard work and promoting gaining recognition. Good luck at the awards dinner. 

• Like 1

Looks like the Warriors are asking for feedback. This from their twitter feed:

It’s your turn to feedback to us on how you think we did and what we can improve on for 2019. It’s on our FB page so over to you.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/294612857236337/permalink/2167284013302536/

I’m sure Barry and his team will value and act on any reasonable comments made.

• Like 1