British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2018

20 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Really proud to tell you all that Martin and I, on behalf of everyone who believed in us, volunteers, our fans, visiting fans, sponsors and riders, won the 2018 Isle of Wight Radio Local Hero Awards for Sporting Achiever. This is absolutely great to be honored up against every other sport, sports club, sports person who represents or is on the Isle of Wight and is voted for by the community. We are both, as should everyone associated with the club, very proud today. Thank you  :)

Congratulations Barry...

Its obvious from the comments on here from those who attend your meetings that you and the team constantly strive to exceed your customer's expectations....

I presume as an NL Promoter you won't be at the AGM?

A shame if so, as your clearly driven customer focus could do with being shared around your fellow 'Custodians of the Sport'..

I see you are also not resting on your laurels and pro actively seeking feedback as to how you could improve even further, through modern social media outlets?

Maybe if you could attend the AGM you could have shared that idea with others, some of whom seem to struggle with the concept of running a business through listening to their customer's comments on what they like/dislike...

Although maybe being more realistic, you would possibly have had to lead them out on a 'quest for fire' first..!:rolleyes:

One small step at a time/Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc etc...;)

Well done and best of luck for next year too...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Well done every one at the Iow ,,The rest of the promoters in this country could learn a lot about how to run Speedway for the community...

• Like 3

On 11/10/2018 at 5:06 AM, mikebv said:

Congratulations Barry...

Its obvious from the comments on here from those who attend your meetings that you and the team constantly strive to exceed your customer's expectations....

I presume as an NL Promoter you won't be at the AGM?

A shame if so, as your clearly driven customer focus could do with being shared around your fellow 'Custodians of the Sport'..

I see you are also not resting on your laurels and pro actively seeking feedback as to how you could improve even further, through modern social media outlets?

Maybe if you could attend the AGM you could have shared that idea with others, some of whom seem to struggle with the concept of running a business through listening to their customer's comments on what they like/dislike...

Although maybe being more realistic, you would possibly have had to lead them out on a 'quest for fire' first..!:rolleyes:

One small step at a time/Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc etc...;)

Well done and best of luck for next year too...

Hi,

Thanks for the kind word and unfortunately you are correct in that we do not attend the BSPA AGM and we hold our own 2 weeks after at the NL AGM. It is for me way too late of course and I would prefer these AGM to happen mid season with a wash up meeting at the end of the year.

We do strive to do our best for all, be that at the school, speedway, in the community, our parties - everything really.

Unlike most I fear, I am really looking forward to 2019 to continue what we have begun and hopefully continue to grow and get further into our community.

Many thanks

Barry

• Thanks 1

I have posted on FB why this award is so important to us, and that being that we were in the same competition with every other sport, sports club, sporting individual on the Island and those who represent the Island and UK around the world. We were voted to win this above all those, voted for by the public, our community which to me shows that we are really becoming an important part of the Island :)

• Like 2

Huge congratulations on the award.

If most clubs were run the way that you run on the Isle of Wight I am sure the sport would be in a much better state than it currently is. 

Keep up the good work and all the best for the future.

15 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Hi,

Thanks for the kind word and unfortunately you are correct in that we do not attend the BSPA AGM and we hold our own 2 weeks after at the NL AGM. It is for me way too late of course and I would prefer these AGM to happen mid season with a wash up meeting at the end of the year.

We do strive to do our best for all, be that at the school, speedway, in the community, our parties - everything really.

Unlike most I fear, I am really looking forward to 2019 to continue what we have begun and hopefully continue to grow and get further into our community.

Many thanks

Barry

Can't you just gatecrash and fix speedway please.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Martin and I are off on our travels again this weekend where we shall be attending with our better halves, the World Speedway Riders Association's gala dinner and awards night. The Wightlink Warriors have been nominated for an award for the best community club. We lost out last year to Somerset in the same category, so hopefully we can go one better this year and win it, although we up against stiff competition with Berwich and Kent, who have done brilliantly this year for their communities. 

Then we are back to the Island on Thursday for My First Skid, followed by a weekend working party at the stadium (anyone can come along for both events)

In between this, its more sponsorship thank you letters and organising our plans for next year.

Thanks again for all your continued support whether local or afar, we really appreciate it.

All the best

Barry

Edited by barrybishop
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Martin and I are off on our travels again this weekend where we shall be attending with our better halves, the World Speedway Riders Association's gala dinner and awards night. The Wightlink Warriors have been nominated for an award for the best community club. We lost out last year to Somerset in the same category, so hopefully we can go one better this year and win it, although we up against stiff competition with Berwich and Kent, who have done brilliantly this year for their communities. 

Then we are back to the Island on Thursday for My First Skid, followed by a weekend working party at the stadium (anyone can come along for both events)

In between this, its more sponsorship thank you letters and organising our plans for next year.

Thanks again for all your continued support whether local or afar, we really appreciate it.

All the best

Barry

Congratulations to Martin and yourself on your well deserved award. Good luck for an even better 2019

• Like 1