British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2018

Martin Widman & Barry Bishop did a presentation for the Nuneaton Speedway Supports Club a couple of nights ago and apparently went down a storm.

Unsurprisingly :approve:

• Like 1

Regrettably a sodden track and poor forecast has put paid to the Warriors & Wizards press and practice day on Easter Saturday meaning that The Vince Mapley Memorial Trophy on Thursday 5 April will be the opening action of 2018.

I think that the IOW could be a surprise package this year as there is not a rider who could not or should not increase their average. Some riders do hit a plateau and that is true for at least one IOW rider but that does not mean they cannot make progress in the future. Three years ago it seemed that Jason Doyle was going to be a Championship number one and maybe a Premiership heat leader at best but something changed and he is now where is, world champion. I just hope that the team has some success this year and come October the fans feel that they have had their monies worth.

Living locally in Chichester I would love to support a club such as the IOW but transport is a big problem and even if I came over on my scooter the cost is prohibitive.

I with what the promotion provide at IOW. Any IOW fan would think they get their moneys worth wherever they finish.

The atrocious weather has forced the postponement of The Vince Mapley Memorial Trophy scheduled for 5 April.

There was nothing on this site for the IOW V BELLE VIEW meeting there seems to be little interest on here for the IOW ,WHY????

1 hour ago, waco said:

There was nothing on this site for the IOW V BELLE VIEW meeting there seems to be little interest on here for the IOW ,WHY????

Well I was there on Thursday, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was a little concerned with the fog on the Solent, but luckily it lifted inland. Young Ben was involved with some great scraps with Danny ayres, which provided great entertainment!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, waco said:

There’s always lots of interest on the Isle of Wight fb group. 

IOW Post Match Press Release

Isle of Wight 48 Belle Vue Colts 42

Shale starved speedway fans were served up a feast of action and controversy as the Isle of Wight ‘Wightlink’ Warriors launched their season with a victory over the Belle Vue Colts at The Andrew Younie Smallbrook Stadium tonight.

In a meeting that contained almost every incident imaginable, ring rusty Warriors were immediately on the back foot as first new boy Danno Verge and then Chris Widman incurred penalties for starting offences. This allowed the Colts to build a four point advantage but it didn’t take long for the home side to record 4-2 heat victories and by heat eight the match was tied at 24 all.

In fact the Warriors were on their way to four 4-2 heat advantages in the space of five heats as they built a four point lead of their own by the interval. The last of those came when Colts Kyle Bickley took a crashing fall in heat 10 which stunned the good sized crowd in to silence, however, much to everyone’s relief the young man from Cumbria was able to get back to his feet and return to the pits unaided.

Looking ahead to the final five races it was clear that Belle Vue had lined up their big hitters for the crucial closing races and with Danny Ayres as spectacular as ever and Georgie Wood always in the thick of the action, the visitors harboured hopes of an away victory but it was not to be.

Heat 11 gave Ayres his third race win with partner Ben Woodhull in third and the Warriors lead was cut to two points. Bickley won heat 12 showing no ill effects from his crash with Scott Campos and Adam Portwood filling the minor places, then drama aplenty in heat 13 with Ayres passing Warriors Ben Hopwood just as Wood pulled out with a motor problem. Warriors Ben Morley (pictured) then broke a primary chain with a lap and a quarter to go and had to run over a lap pushing his bike to pick up the vital single point. He made it to the chequered flag with fifteen seconds to go roared home by fans and team mates alike.

This pulsating meeting now took another twist when in heat 14, Warriors Chris Widman got slightly out of shape and collided with Colts Woodhull. The race was stopped and somewhat controversially the visitor was disqualified for causing the stoppage of the heat. The race result was awarded as a 3-3 and so to the final heat with Morley and Hopwood against Ayres and Bickley. 

From the gate both Warriors showed first with Ayres in red hot pursuit. A good pass moved him by Hopwood and to just metres behind Morley but then disaster struck the visiting number one who tried an outside surge to pass Morley but ran out of space exiting turn four and crashed to the track. Again the referee had to stop the heat and after a moments deliberation disqualified Ayres and awarded the race 5-1 to the Warriors. 

So ended a quite remarkable night of speedway in which fortunes ebbed and flowed and the rub of the green landed Warriors Way. 

After the meeting Ben Morley was quick to praise an all round team effort and went on to say “It was a great way to start my season with the Isle of Wight. I had one or two machinery niggles but have started to sort them out – one thing for sure, I don’t want to have to push the bike home for over a lap on a track this size again! “

Warriors: Ben Morley 12+1, Danno Verge 6+1, Scott Campos 7+1, Chris Widman 5, Ben Hopwood 11+1, Jamie Sealey 1+1, Adam Portwood 6+3.

Colts: Danny Ayres 12, Paul Bowen 0, Kyle Bickley 8+1, Joe Lawlor 9+1, Georgie Wood 7, Kean Dicken 0, Ben Woodhull 6.

Edited by Rob Dyer
  • Like 2

That's a bit more like it ,,comments from a fan who was there and a match report well

Good report without shying away from the controversy in heats 14 & 15 and the warriors rub of the green. 

One thing though, the tapes offences didn’t allow the Colts to build a four points lead, unless you are suggesting Verge would have defeated Ayres and Morley in heat 1. Similarly, Widman has the beating of Bowen and Dicken but that’s all. The 15m starts has no effect on the race results. 

It's  such a shame there's no radio commentary of IOW this season, it was great to be able to listen to live speedway every week , hopefully they might change their mind and start it again

3 hours ago, Rob Dyer said:

but then disaster struck the visiting number one who tried an outside surge to pass Morley but ran out of space exiting turn four and crashed to the track.

This bit doesn't make sense really.

Yes  Ayres "crashed to the track".   But "ran out of space" doesn't make sense.

If Ayres had "ran out of space" that means he'd have collided with the fence.   The fact that he didn't collide with the fence, and instead "crashed to the track" says that it was something or someone else that sent him crashing to the floor.

The referee had a shocker by all accounts.

Most of the refs these days are having shockers,,where do they get these people that seem to know nothing about racing bikes , .?