British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2018

9 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

Reports today that Jamie Sealey is being replaced by Shaun Tedham. At least they are doing something.

The Warriors tail has looked to be a problem of recent matches and given that a guest came in and beat Sealey might have sealed his fate? IOW have often been loyal to a fault so maybe a change will freshen things up and wake a few others up. Plus i wouldn't be shocked to see Jamie pick up a place elsewhere as he is not the worst reserve in the league.

I think Shaun Tedham is great but not sure how he will go on a big track? Or what he has actually done since last season but wish him all the best.

1 minute ago, adonis said:

Complete waste of time replacing Sealey with Tedham , we all know what Tedham is capable of .  3.08  after 5 full NL seasons ,is there anybody out there daft enough to think there's more to come ? 

Probably correct. I like Shaun but then he is crazy as a box of frogs. However his results speak for themselves and it is not a compelling case. I think he does have a bit more to offer BUT that would require a huge machinery investment along with time & i don't think he is in a position to do that at this stage of his life. However should Tedham score his 3 point average every week it would still be an improvement. 

You have to say this change offers little improvement,,But on the other hand what points do they have to play with and what is available ,can,t be much ? 

Guest GiveusaB
31 minutes ago, waco said:

You have to say this change offers little improvement,,But on the other hand what points do they have to play with and what is available ,can,t be much ? 

I don't think there are any available reserves out there at the moment that will offer much improvement to any team ?

There was one lad that looked good in our press/practice day ( Dan Gilkes) but he's concentrating on his academia at the moment (apparently).

Failing that, the only improvements that can be made, imo,  is replacing an under performing heat leader and that would probably involve persuading someone out of retirement?

Teams that do well are teams with riders that perform above their expected level? Luckily for us, we have 'Leon Flint' !

He is definitely the catalyst for us to have a successful season.

The poor quality of many reserves, like those at Island, is purely the result of the ridiculous 39 point limit set this year.

The number of quality riders with 3 point averages is very very limited and teams that have the good fortune to attract

one or more of them are bound to succeed. Had the points limit been higher that would have had the effect of keeping the

no-hopers at bay.

The middle order needs help too tbh, them and buxton propping up the league i think

7 minutes ago, adonis said:

How would a higher points limit keep the" no hopers " at bay ? 

Exactly add 3 points to the limit IOW would still have started with the same reserves and just used them on other places higher up. Same as most teams would have creating a bigger gap between the top & tail.

The issues with the Island side are fairly small. Morley, Hopwood & Campos are all hitting above average regularly. Just needs reserves to hit theirs, Verge to do what he is capable of Widman to actually do something and the side will be alright.

It is looking more and more a problem that can only be solved by big improvements by some of the lower end riders at the IOW ...As will be the case with other teams that are likely to fill the lower end of the league placings,,So come on lads start pulling your weight at the Island ,,where you are lucky to have a place with a well managed club that unfortunately does not have money to chuck around indiscrimently........

17 hours ago, adonis said:

It seems that some people  think there's a gigantic pool of riders who want to compete in NL , I can't see who these riders are , looks to me as though anyone capable above reserve ,has a team place  if they want one , 

I’m not going to claim that there’s a ‘big pool of riders’ but Halsey & Dan Greenwood are 2 that want team places but can’t get one. Knight is another that hasn’t ruled out racing completely. 

There is also Alfie Bowtell......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adonis said:

there's a reason why Greenwood hasn't got a place , and I think it's fairly obvious to most , and I bet Halsey has had offers , not everybody is able to take time off to ride just anywhere for £10-15 a point 

Been quite a while since Halsey was on £15 a point. However i agree that with family businesses weekend tracks are preferable and despite a long time at Mildenhall Dan's casual attitude does not help his cause. 

Clubs have been moaning about the lack of suitable 3 pointers for years yet the amount of clubs who do anything to help develop future ones is limited. (Not aimed at IOW by the way)

Presumably the Midlands and Southern Development Leagues are intended to produce the 3 pointers.....which I think they do. But it

still leaves most teams having to use riders that are not up to scratch.  A higher limit would reduce that number.

2 hours ago, adonis said:

there's a reason why Greenwood hasn't got a place , and I think it's fairly obvious to most , and I bet Halsey has had offers , not everybody is able to take time off to ride just anywhere for £10-15 a point 

The wrong assumption as to why Halsey is without a ride. 

Well, Adonis...I never suggested that teams should not have any 3 pointers.   What I am saying is that too many of the 3 pointers

that are in teams are not ready for it. A higher points limit would enable more of the better riders to get team places which clearly 

would reduce the number of no-hopers being used.  The better youngsters will always find a place.