British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Tactical Substitutes Question?

To be fair one is generally a waste of time, why not scrap it altogether or allow it multiple times whilst a team remains at least 6 points behind., they have even stopped teams doing it in heat 8 which was generally the time everyone used it.

Total half hearted attempt to appease the fans.

Sheesh ... fancy trying to please the fans - whatever next!

• Like 1

Gordon Pairman has already answered the question, it's once only.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=85633&view=findpost&p=3058705

Only one tac sub per meeting? Ridiculous, why bother then?

The play-off's were designed to keep interest until the end of the season, surely the tac sub rule can be used to keep interest in meetings. Let teams use it as often as they want... 1. it may keep some meetings interesting. 2. It is a test of team managers skills. Reserve races are protected so I don't see the fuss of not allowing more than one tac sub.

• Like 1

Could well have been. I just remember such a thing happening!

Quite a regular thing, especially after the move to 15 heats.

Cradley in the Hancock Hamill days could be 10pts down going into Heat 13.. 5-1.. double tac sub 5-1 and then 5-1 again. Match won.

• Like 1

Cradley in the Hancock Hamill days could be 10pts down going into Heat 13.. 5-1.. double tac sub 5-1 and then 5-1 again. Match won.

Yes. Maybe it was a 15 heat match I'm rather hazily remembering.

Yes. Maybe it was a 15 heat match I'm rather hazily remembering.

It all starts to merge together after a while, I'm rapidly reaching that point now too!

...without checking but there was a time that heat 14 was a second reserves race therefore T/S riders were not permitted but there have been many different race formulae down the years it's difficult remembering the details...what with nominated races etc!

Only one tac sub per meeting? Ridiculous, why bother then?

That is a complete waste of time. Can be used only once? What is the point? I thought the promoters were starting to listen. Smoke and mirrors sort of rule change.

This change appears to be good, but it's simply a Gotta-save-the-pennies motive. Get rid of the expensive nominated rides' heat and do the thing properly, if it's cash that's the problem.

Edited by moxey63

That is a complete waste of time. Can be used only once? What is the point? I thought the promoters were starting to listen. Smoke and mirrors sort of rule change.

This change appears to be good, but it's simply a Gotta-save-the-pennies motive. Get rid of the expensive nominated rides' heat and do the thing properly, if it's cash that's the problem.

Sure, it won't have the tactical intricacies that it used to have, but better than the Tactical Ride surely? At least points scored on the track stay consistent.

A lot of team managers just stuck their best rider out anyway when a TS opportunity came up so it probably won't make much difference.

So it appears to be good wanted by the fans, but Promoters just saving pennies, whilst asking for them to drop Heat 15 which if they did they would be slated for cheapening the product. You don't talk much sense do you. About as must as most non attendees.

• Like 2

So it appears to be good wanted by the fans, but Promoters just saving pennies, whilst asking for them to drop Heat 15 which if they did they would be slated for cheapening the product. You don't talk much sense do you. About as must as most non attendees.

I am guessing the one tac sub ride and the cost of sending that one rider to the tapes is reason why the promoters are allowing it just the once. Most fans I expect would like to see the tac sub an option as long as a team is 6 in arrears. But money is the problem. So, just saying, usually the top earners come to the tapes for heat 15, so just cut that and the money that is saved, we can pretend to have a proper sport that exists on penny pinching moves. The tac sub, say three times a match, would entertain longer than the one nominated heat. Just saying, that all matey.

I am a non-attender... and scratch my head that people still attend, to be honest, especially after gimmicks like the new tac sub rule. Perhaps they could have a on-the-night terrace Go-Fund-Me sort of app, so teams can afford to send out more tac subs. May get young fans interested. Could even have a poll, see what rider the Go-Fund-Me people wish to bring in. Good idea that, I think.

Edited by moxey63

I am guessing the one tac sub ride and the cost of sending that one rider to the tapes is reason why the promoters are allowing it just the once. Most fans I expect would like to see the tac sub an option as long as a team is 6 in arrears. But money is the problem. So, just saying, usually the top earners come to the tapes for heat 15, so just cut that and the money that is saved, we can pretend to have a proper sport that exists on penny pinching moves. The tac sub, say three times a match, would entertain longer than the one nominated heat. Just saying, that all matey.

I am a non-attender... and scratch my head that people still attend, to be honest, especially after gimmicks like the new tac sub rule. Perhaps they could have a on-the-night terrace Go-Fund-Me sort of app, so teams can afford to send out more tac subs. May get young fans interested. Could even have a poll, see what rider the Go-Fund-Me people wish to bring in. Good idea that, I think.

You think, and have said, you wouldn't attend live speedway anymore even if they gave you a lifetime free pass, and all because when the Speedway Mail closed you were then asked to pay to get into BV.

Some real supporter you are, and best ignored.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

You think, and have said, you wouldn't attend live speedway anymore even if they gave you a lifetime free pass, and all because when the Speedway Mail closed you were then asked to pay to get into BV.

Some real supporter you are, and best ignored.

Speedway Mail? Free pass? Sorry you have me mistaken for someone else.

And while I'm at it, my paying for SKY TV since 1999 has helped keep your track alive and therefore gives you somewhere to harbour once a week. I may not attend anymore, but my generosity allows others to retain their programme-filling habit. Think of me, next time to patiently await the time for the last heat.

So let's move on.

But before we do, the person who started this myth about a free pass being withdrawn, the track photographer at Belle Vue, ex-programme editor (ah ah) has now regained his love for the sport and now attends regularly. Though he was quick to smear my name about being tight and not paying to attend to watch speedway, he only fell out of love with the sport because his freebie went astray. The freebie returned, dah dah, so has his love for the sport. It's like magic...

Edited by moxey63

So in theory if you can only use the TS once it is is worse than double-points and potentially have a far less impact on a meeting what we previously had.

I think the idea of double points was fine but the implemention was poor - "using the joker card" demeaned the sport a great deal and to the broader non-speedway going public only enhanced there view of the sport. On the other side of the coin how often has an 8-1 rejuvenated a meeting?

Why not allow the Team Manager to use it as often as they like (maximum 1TS ride per rider) providing there side is x number of points down between heats 5 - 14 with the exception of the reserve races - reserves would still have to take a minimum of 3 rides - thus making them really earn there corn.

Edited by a4poster

Wanted by me. :party: :party: :party:

So in theory if you can only use the TS once it is is worse than double-points and potentially have a far less impact on a meeting what we previously had.

I think the idea of double points was fine but the implemention was poor - "using the joker card" demeaned the sport a great deal and to the broader non-speedway going public only enhanced there view of the sport. On the other side of the coin how often has an 8-1 rejuvenated a meeting?

Why not allow the Team Manager to use it as often as they like (maximum 1TS ride per rider) providing there side is x number of points down between heats 5 - 14 with the exception of the reserve races - reserves would still have to take a minimum of 3 rides - thus making them really earn there corn.

Use it more than once and I would be off again. :mad: :mad: :mad:

It could also potentially have more effect if getting a 5-1 out of what could have been a 3-3. Much better than the TR. Points scored on the track are the points scored for the team.

No more having to explain why someone can get double points with the phrase 'because they have stupid rules'.

May not be the ts of old but it is a good change.

• Like 1