British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Tactical Substitutes Question?

Speedway Mail? Free pass? Sorry you have me mistaken for someone else.

And while I'm at it, my paying for SKY TV since 1999 has helped keep your track alive and therefore gives you somewhere to harbour once a week. I may not attend anymore, but my generosity allows others to retain their programme-filling habit. Think of me, next time to patiently await the time for the last heat.

So let's move on.

But before we do, the person who started this myth about a free pass being withdrawn, the track photographer at Belle Vue, ex-programme editor (ah ah) has now regained his love for the sport and now attends regularly. Though he was quick to smear my name about being tight and not paying to attend to watch speedway, he only fell out of love with the sport because his freebie went astray. The freebie returned, dah dah, so has his love for the sport. It's like magic...

Funny that. In many previous discussions about speedway attendance, I have regularly put those facts to you, and never once have you denied that you stopped going when you were asked to pay. You also DID say that you would not go to BV even if they gave you a free pass for life, and we discussed it and you stated you preferred to watch it on TV, and were perfectly in a position to express your opinion still on Speedway even if you chose to not attend.

Nurse Nurse.

• Like 1

Funny that. In many previous discussions about speedway attendance, I have regularly put those facts to you, and never once have you denied that you stopped going when you were asked to pay. You also DID say that you would not go to BV even if they gave you a free pass for life, and we discussed it and you stated you preferred to watch it on TV, and were perfectly in a position to express your opinion still on Speedway even if you chose to not attend.

Nurse Nurse.

Others don't want to read this bickering. So what... I didn't pay, there you are. But the worrying thing was, I stopped going at the time the free pass was still there. One of the reasons was the ridding of the tac sub for the Golden Double.

I thought the promoters were trying to entice back people like me, who no longer attend, but the one-time TS rule is a wet cloth. Speedway is on its rear, in fact there are many now who still keep in touch but don't attend.

I had no association with Speedway Mail... but did use to get in for "free" to Belle Vue... but in turn I used to contribute to the programme, so, unless you believe in free-labour, i suppose the least I could do was take a freebie. It didn't cost BV anything...

Thing is, before I started getting the freebie, I used to pay... with pleasure. Speedway 1990-style was more appealing. But how my views have changed. I wouldn't go now, even with the "freebie." It's on in the background every week, on telly, and I never watch it... so you can't say i stopped going because I had no "freebie."

Edited by moxey63

Others don't want to read this bickering. So what... I didn't pay, there you are. But the worrying thing was, I stopped going at the time the free pass was still there. One of the reasons was the ridding of the tac sub for the Golden Double.

I thought the promoters were trying to entice back people like me, who no longer attend, but the one-time TS rule is a wet cloth. Speedway is on its rear, in fact there are many now who still keep in touch but don't attend.

I had no association with Speedway Mail... but did use to get in for "free" to Belle Vue... but in turn I used to contribute to the programme, so, unless you believe in free-labour, i suppose the least I could do was take a freebie. It didn't cost BV anything...

Thing is, before I started getting the freebie, I used to pay... with pleasure. Speedway 1990-style was more appealing. But how my views have changed. I wouldn't go now, even with the "freebie." It's on in the background every week, on telly, and I never watch it... so you can't say i stopped going because I had no "freebie."

So substitute Programme for Speedway Mail and everything you said was untrue was true so a complete lie by you. You tried a bluff but you now admit you lied. Many Thanks.

• Like 1

So you wouldn't go if it was free.

You don't watch it on TV.

Yet you feel you can offer opinions on the current product. Hilarious.

• Like 1

If I remember you could have as many T/S as long as you were six points behind and you also had choice of gates.

You could even have a double T/S if you so wished in a particular heat.

that's correct, shame its not fully returned, and yes gate positions were more flexible, a manager had way more options in those days

• Like 1

...remember 'The Cheetahs' being eight down with three/four heats remaining and winning both matches away at Wimbledon and King's Lynn during the 1984 season...great stuff! The win at King's Lynn particularly got up the nose of Lynn promoter Martin Rogers I recall!

and Wimbledon returned the favour by winning at Cowley 24 hours later! Edited by cityrebel

So you wouldn't go if it was free.

You don't watch it on TV.

Yet you feel you can offer opinions on the current product. Hilarious.

Hilarious? No, not really. Just a former fan who wants a sport he once loved to claw itself back into being something of a serious sport. I cling on for a bit of sense, thought the reintroduction of the tac sub was the start, only to discover it is to be used the once per match. Speedway has always had its quirky side, and I accepted that. But come on... riders donning everyone else's colours to help form some sort of team, in every league on earth. Sides massaging their scoring ability to gain a better chance of winning the X-Factor Play-Off. Speedway is a team sport. When I feel I can support a team that is my team (all my riders), that team will get my support. It took 13 years for promoters, who we allow to run the asylum, to realise the double points thing made the sport look a joke.

Therefore, at the moment, I wouldn't go for free (or complimentary, as it was called); I won't watch on TV, as the sport is too messed up and not a very serious product, and my opinions are offered out of frustration, hoping one day the sport will return to what I see as a serious offering.

The promoters just had a bish-bash-bang gathering to thrash out ideas. They know they need to placate fans, the few that still turn up, but want to attract more. At the moment they haven't persuaded this one. But I'll wait in hope.

I don't know what the disagreement is about with other posters on here. I know speedway can be a great sport... but it has allowed itself, or those who run it have, to wander away from a serious sport.

A good promoter or business must be trying to win me, an old customer, back. The ones who still attend... they'll put up with anything and can be given any old tosh! There are others like me, ex-attendees who keep in touch. I am still looking in the shop window but won't enter it.Once they start selling something I like, you may hear the sound of the shop doorbell. Promoters should worry about those who no longer pass by the shop.

So substitute Programme for Speedway Mail and everything you said was untrue was true so a complete lie by you. You tried a bluff but you now admit you lied. Many Thanks.

You're good... will you be my solicitor?

Edited by moxey63

Others don't want to read this bickering

No...they don't - so piss off

You don't follow the sport - no one actually cares what you have to say, another one of the dullards who think going to speedway 20 years ago makes them relevant - it doesn't - no one gives a sh*t what you have to say about speedway

p.s don't bother replying, don't bother with lengthy verbiage - I really don't care, in fact if you reply it only confirms what a twit you are.

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 1

No...they don't - so piss off

You don't follow the sport - no one actually cares what you have to say, another one of the dullards who think going to speedway 20 years ago makes them relevant - it doesn't - no one gives a sh*t what you have to say about speedway

p.s don't bother replying, don't bother with lengthy verbiage - I really don't care, in fact if you reply it only confirms what a twit you are.

How come you say the full word "piss" but use an asterik in "shi*t"?

You had me laughing there Hacksaw Jim....

Just surprised you had to edit such a short piece.

Hilarious? No, not really. Just a former fan who wants a sport he once loved to claw itself back into being something of a serious sport. I cling on for a bit of sense, thought the reintroduction of the tac sub was the start, only to discover it is to be used the once per match. Speedway has always had its quirky side, and I accepted that. But come on... riders donning everyone else's colours to help form some sort of team, in every league on earth. Sides massaging their scoring ability to gain a better chance of winning the X-Factor Play-Off. Speedway is a team sport. When I feel I can support a team that is my team (all my riders), that team will get my support. It took 13 years for promoters, who we allow to run the asylum, to realise the double points thing made the sport look a joke.

Therefore, at the moment, I wouldn't go for free (or complimentary, as it was called); I won't watch on TV, as the sport is too messed up and not a very serious product, and my opinions are offered out of frustration, hoping one day the sport will return to what I see as a serious offering.

The promoters just had a bish-bash-bang gathering to thrash out ideas. They know they need to placate fans, the few that still turn up, but want to attract more. At the moment they haven't persuaded this one. But I'll wait in hope.

I don't know what the disagreement is about with other posters on here. I know speedway can be a great sport... but it has allowed itself, or those who run it have, to wander away from a serious sport.

A good promoter or business must be trying to win me, an old customer, back. The ones who still attend... they'll put up with anything and can be given any old tosh! There are others like me, ex-attendees who keep in touch. I am still looking in the shop window but won't enter it.Once they start selling something I like, you may hear the sound of the shop doorbell. Promoters should worry about those who no longer pass by the shop.

You're good... will you be my solicitor?

What, exactly, is your problem with only having one TS per match? It may not be the TS of old, but I see nothing in this introduction that makes it a non-serious sport (unlike the TR).

• Like 1

What, exactly, is your problem with only having one TS per match? It may not be the TS of old, but I see nothing in this introduction that makes it a non-serious sport (unlike the TR).

Certainly better than the double bubble but would really have preferred the old way - six down and you can use a run of subs. I found the old way used to keep matches interesting - even if the racing was off. A TS just once isn't as good, in my opinion, but better than the double points race.

What do you say Hacksaw Jim, BeWitcher and that other one... the Newcastle fan?

If there is only going to be one T/S ride in a match then this is very disappoining. Part of the attraction in the past was that you could try to outguess the Team Managers and work out who would be used or where the T/Ss were going to take place. It's what you call making the sport more interesting for the supporter!

I thought it was great news when they made the announcement and having Heat 8 protected avoided the standard trick of Ole Olsen being introduced for the No7 of the time.

Think again and bring it back so that it can be used whenever teams are more than 6 points down. You may actually get a few more people back through the turnstiles.

• Like 2

Certainly better than the double bubble but would really have preferred the old way - six down and you can use a run of subs. I found the old way used to keep matches interesting - even if the racing was off. A TS just once isn't as good, in my opinion, but better than the double points race.

What do you say Hacksaw Jim, BeWitcher and that other one... the Newcastle fan?

Clearly you want more false results and less credibility.

Pretty much shoots your entire argument down in flames.

Edited by BWitcher

Clearly you want more false results and less credibility.

Pretty much shoots your entire argument down in flames.

I know.

I thought it was great news when they made the announcement and having Heat 8 protected avoided the standard trick of Ole Olsen being introduced for the No7 of the time.

Think again and bring it back so that it can be used whenever teams are more than 6 points down. You may actually get a few more people back through the turnstiles.

To be honest it actually disappoints me that you can't use one in Heat 8. Some of the very best memories under the old rules came from the No 2 and sometimes even No 7 beating the big gun tac sub.

Again though, it really does amuse me how the same folk who have been preaching how people laughed at the sport because of the unfairness of the double pt ride would come flocking back if a more unfair system was rolled out.