British Speedway Forum
Guest GiveusaB

Birmingham 2018

Guest GiveusaB
25 minutes ago, adonis said:

Cuppit has had it all handed on a plate , if he wasn't Woffindens brother in law  we would all be saying layne who ? , dropping Woffindens name every other sentence ,wont clean your bike ,and won't make you stick it out at the first turn with 3 others when you haven't got there first , not one of his opportunities has been earned all have come via nepotism 

That's hardly the lad's fault imo...

It takes a lot of bottle to race a speedway bike and I haven't seen 'Woffy' on the back helping him around the corners? (just joking...) : )

I think Layne's got a lot of potential and as pointed out in a previous post, he started off like a rocket, he even beat 'Ayres' when we demolished Cradley back in July : )

I'd definitely re-sign him.

He's young enough to develop in to a very competent racer!

He gives his all imo.....Good luck to Layne wherever he ends up!

Given the riders signed so far all fit into Mason's well maintained / well presented machinery ethos Layne would definitely be the exception however i think the numbers stack up too nicely for him not to be included. Whilst its a risk with Layne & Callum at 2&4 to start with it does ensure a good reserve all season even when Leon moves into the 1-5.

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB
36 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Given the riders signed so far all fit into Mason's well maintained / well presented machinery ethos Layne would definitely be the exception however i think the numbers stack up too nicely for him not to be included. Whilst its a risk with Layne & Callum at 2&4 to start with it does ensure a good reserve all season even when Leon moves into the 1-5.

I agree with you S4S !

1 hour ago, adonis said:

Cuppit has had it all handed on a plate , if he wasn't Woffindens brother in law  we would all be saying layne who ? , dropping Woffindens name every other sentence ,wont clean your bike ,and won't make you stick it out at the first turn with 3 others when you haven't got there first , not one of his opportunities has been earned all have come via nepotism 

Hardly! Cupitt was struggling in 2016 but Taididnt get him a place at IOW where he turned it around and did very well which got him his move to Birmingham. 

9 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Hardly! Cupitt was struggling in 2016 but Taididnt get him a place at IOW where he turned it around and did very well which got him his move to Birmingham. 

If memory serves me right you came to PB towards the end of that season and he scored 7-8ish which i think was the performance that got him hes move beating some very decent riders. Where does all this Tai rubbish about hes never around him hardly during the season plus there is ample help already at Birmingham in the pits with many support staff with the likes of mick s etc who every rider will tell you they do a great job..

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie

Guest GiveusaB
9 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

If memory serves me right you came to PB towards the end of that season and he scored 7-8ish which i think was the performance that got him hes move beating some very decent riders. Where does all this Tai rubbish about hes never around him hardly during the season plus there is ample help already at Birmingham in the pits with many support staff with the likes of mick s etc who every rider will tell you they do a great job..

Good to see Layne getting the support that he needs/deserves.......he's a young lad and will progress far quicker knowing that the spectators are behind him....

He and his family are lovely/friendly/welcoming people.....proper down to earth too !

On 04/01/2018 at 12:00 PM, GiveusaB said:

I'll be happy with an 'entertaining' team, as opposed to the 'best' team ?

A competitive league will be welcome!

My main interest lies within the development of Leon flint, having heard all the rave reviews!

As I have said before, I will continue to sponsor Leon, he has massive potential.  I like his signing for Birmingham as I believe they can get the best out of him.  Please remember he is just 15, so does not need pressure, just nurturing.  Any pressure needed he will provide it himself, even if he started brilliantly, he would still demand improvement of himself.

TAFFYS

• Like 2

I saw Cupitt on a couple of occasions last year and he impressed me as a rather raw and untidy, but none the less gutsy rider

who will at some stage soon surprise a lot of people with some big scores. A good inclusion by the new promoter IMO

Guest GiveusaB
9 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I saw Cupitt on a couple of occasions last year and he impressed me as a rather raw and untidy, but none the less gutsy rider

who will at some stage soon surprise a lot of people with some big scores. A good inclusion by the new promoter IMO

That's about as accurate a description of Layne's performances as you're going to get!

The potential is definitely there and he's still very young....I'd certainly stick with him, coz I think that's what the lad needs....'a bit of faith'!!!

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

The potential is definitely there and he's still very young....I'd certainly stick with him, coz I think that's what the lad needs....'a bit of faith'!!!

Potential? After 2 complete seasons, he has a 4.00 average in the third division of a second rate league structure. So how far do you think he'll go? With his shoddy attitude towards equipment maintenance, and a tenancy to get bored once the novelty value of a new environment has worn off, I doubt that he'll go as far as you think. If he peaks at a 6.00 NL average I think he'll have gone as far as he could. So the question is, how much effort do you put into producing 6.00 NL riders, and at what cost to those with better potential who won't be getting the time or resources as a result?
http://www.speedwaygb.co/files/downloads/nl17_issue_33.pdf 

As for "very young" - he's 19. Bartosz Zmarzlik was winning SGP's at that age. Really, 19 is not "very young" at all these days. Maybe compared to Stoke Potters riders it will be, and maybe many fans have grand kids that age that make them think that they are young at 19, but in a competitive sporting world, it's not. He's 4 years older than Leon Flint, and I wouldn't mind betting that in 4 years time Leon will be in a far more developed stage of his career than Cupitt is or will ever be at.

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

Boredom and attitude are things that usually/can change with maturity.....Tai Woffinden is a good example of that?

Not that I'm comparing him to anyone? certainly not Zmarzlik...how many other riders compare to his natural talent?

i agree with large parts of your post/opinion.....but I think it's easier to give up on a young rider than it is to stick with him and try and help/guide him?

I think Layne has the bottle and the equipment to make a big improvement.

I also think Mason seems to be a good judge of character/ability, so we'll see what he decides?

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Potential? After 2 complete seasons, he has a 4.00 average in the third division of a second rate league structure. So how far do you think he'll go? With his shoddy attitude towards equipment maintenance, and a tenancy to get bored once the novelty value of a new environment has worn off, I doubt that he'll go as far as you think. If he peaks at a 6.00 NL average I think he'll have gone as far as he could. So the question is, how much effort do you put into producing 6.00 NL riders, and at what cost to those with better potential who won't be getting the time or resources as a result?
http://www.speedwaygb.co/files/downloads/nl17_issue_33.pdf 

As for "very young" - he's 19. Bartosz Zmarzlik was winning SGP's at that age. Really, 19 is not "very young" at all these days. Maybe compared to Stoke Potters riders it will be, and maybe many fans have grand kids that age that make them think that they are young at 19, but in a competitive sporting world, it's not. He's 4 years older than Leon Flint, and I wouldn't mind betting that in 4 years time Leon will be in a far more developed stage of his career than Cupitt is or will ever be at.

Don't think :Leon will be content on 4 years, 1 year + perhaps.

Simply because there are riders out there who seem to be Flying Machines at 16 years of age does not mean that a 19 year old should

be considered as "past it".  History tells us that every young Whizz Kid does not go on to become a top international star. It also tells us

that many riders have achieved the top level of the sport in spite of beginning at an advanced age.  I still think that Cupitt, at 19 years old

is as good a prospect as most. 

• Like 1

The Problem with most of the riders in the NL  is their matches are strung out over the season so riders don’t seem to get racing every week which  I think they need to be racing every week to progress there were some teams that had no matches for 6 weeks then fitting them in at the end of the season on tracks that are not enjoyable 

• Like 2

We're all entitled to our opinions but I won't be disappointed if Cupitt isn't signed up again.