British Speedway Forum
Guest GiveusaB

Birmingham 2018

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Gotcha so the Birmingham Speedway Supporters that attend pay £2 which will go to the Birmingham Speedway Supporters Club of which many attending will already be members of..........makes as much sense as your potential number 7's passport application form

Did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

It's an event, and it has an admission charge. What's wrong with that? If that £2 in your pocket is worth more to you than getting out from behind your keyboard, then stick to BSF. You have that luxury. On the other hand, if you want to meet the guests, or other fans, have a night out, and maybe a pint or two, then go along. £2 is cheaper than the bus fare that you'll pay to get there...or do you complain on public transport forums about bus fares too?

It's staged by the Supporters Club, who if they raise money out of it, do so in a way that proves informative and entertaining to those who attend, and which goes towards supporting the riders, who have benefited to the tune of several thousands of £££ over the years from the supporters club.

The petty nature of your post does you no credit at all. I had a higher opinion of you than this.

Got out of bed the silly side this morning and the post was meant in jest nothing more or less. Supporters clubs do a lot of good work and I applaud all those involved 

• Thanks 1

New signing announced

Not quite sure why it's on Facebook before it's on the official web site, but hey ho...

Have to admit ive never heard of Rachel Hellowell does anybody know much about her / her amateur track successes? Definitely a positive for the team & the sport in general to offer more diverse opportunities.

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Have to admit ive never heard of Rachel Hellowell does anybody know much about her / her amateur track successes? Definitely a positive for the team & the sport in general to offer more diverse opportunities.

Not sure but I think she is Luke Chessell's girlfriend, she used to do second halves at Sheffield.

• Thanks 1

I cannot recall any girl reaching the speeds necessary to hold down a team place in any team at any level.  So I cannot

help but think this signing is a good publicity gesture.  I hope that Rachel proves me wrong.

3 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I cannot recall any girl reaching the speeds necessary to hold down a team place in any team at any level.  So I cannot

help but think this signing is a good publicity gesture.  I hope that Rachel proves me wrong.

I saw some young ladies "mixing it" with other youngsters in Gustrow (Germany) on my visits there last year and the year before. Proof that if they are strong and talented enough, they can wipe some smug smiles off some chauvanists faces.

Worth remembering that Lisa Kelly off Ice Road Truckers was a State Freestyle Motorcross champion in her youth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Sabrina Bogh was probably the best female rider of the modern era.She was Danish Junior Champion and made it through to the European Junior Final

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Individual_Speedway_Junior_European_Championship

I have seen a few females in Danish teams at a few levels.80cc and 500cc.In fact there was a team a few years back that was made up largely of females in Denmark.One of these did sign a contract with a Polish league team,but that as you moot was a publicity stunt

As for German female riders Celina Liebmann,the daughter of a former German ice speedway rider has followed on from Sabrina Bogh and became the first female to win a national title two seasons back.Had a nasty accident last season,but she is back this year and will hopefully make some more progress

Can't remember their names but there were a pair of talented grass/longtrack sisters a couple of years ago that were French/Dutch/German? Certainly held their own and wiped a few smiles off faces. As far im always concerned if you are good enough then no other factors should matter.

19 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Can't remember their names but there were a pair of talented grass/longtrack sisters a couple of years ago that were French/Dutch/German? Certainly held their own and wiped a few smiles off faces. As far im always concerned if you are good enough then no other factors should matter.

Nadine and Julia Frenk were two sisters on Longtrack/grass

https://sites.google.com/site/racingteamfrenk/

The Grosser twins were highly rated by Egon Müller,but never really got on once they moved up on 500cc bikes.They did a season of practice sessions,but don't think they ever raced in proper meetings once they left 250cc events

https://www.shz.de/lokales/landeszeitung/schnelle-zwillinge-aus-krummwisch-id9403731.html

• Thanks 1

Maria Herrera has been in the  Moto 3 category of Moto GP for three years.

Can't speak for Continental clubs, but in UK, while there have been a number of girls that people suggested might come

good, none of them ever did ( so far).  So I still think that giving a girl rider a contract of any sort is largely for publicity

Guest GiveusaB
3 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Can't speak for Continental clubs, but in UK, while there have been a number of girls that people suggested might come

good, none of them ever did ( so far).  So I still think that giving a girl rider a contract of any sort is largely for publicity

have to agree!

Good publicity though .... for the younger generation.

Very current with the state of UK's politics etc

Good luck to her!