British Speedway Forum
Guest GiveusaB

Birmingham 2018

3 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

What local riders ???  Chattin or Whitehouse ?? No where near the standard we've tried that again well tailed in there races 

Very different for riders who have a full season though / are included from the start to those who get one or two meetings when the season is in full swing. I will be the first to admit there are several riders who i didnt think were good enough and went on to do well and likewise several i tipped to succeed who flopped. Speedway is a funny old game and sometimes random gambles pay off.

If you go to Manchester velodrome any young kid can hire a bike and have a go on the track in a taster session to see if they like it.

If they do, they can take up the sport and some of the youngsters that started this way have gone right to the top of the sport.

Speedway tracks need to adopt the same thinking and get youngsters in on low powered machines and in a controlled environment to bring forward naturally talented youngsters.

You can't just sit back and wait for divine intervention or some opportunity to bend the rules to save having to make too much effort.

20 minutes ago, fubar said:

If you go to Manchester velodrome any young kid can hire a bike and have a go on the track in a taster session to see if they like it.

If they do, they can take up the sport and some of the youngsters that started this way have gone right to the top of the sport.

Speedway tracks need to adopt the same thinking and get youngsters in on low powered machines and in a controlled environment to bring forward naturally talented youngsters.

Indeed - but the only place that seems to do this is Scunthorpe. As far as Birmingham is concerned, the previous NL promotion never lifted a finger to find new riders, merely signing those who started at other teams. At least the present promotion is talking about finding and training new riders, although they are constrained by the fact that they don't own the stadium, have a 10 o'clock curfew and only have the use of it once a week.

Well all I will say is when the sport doesn't exist in this country anymore it's down to you backward thinking people that continue to hold the sport back .

23 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Indeed - but the only place that seems to do this is Scunthorpe. As far as Birmingham is concerned, the previous NL promotion never lifted a finger to find new riders, merely signing those who started at other teams. At least the present promotion is talking about finding and training new riders, although they are constrained by the fact that they don't own the stadium, have a 10 o'clock curfew and only have the use of it once a week.

I think you've answered your own comment there. I've highlighted the relevant bits.

Whilst the constraints are obvious as listed above the current promotion are attempting to run a development league side this season offering track time to those who are the level below NL racing and giving them the opportunity to put themselves in the window for next season perhaps? The previous promotion did not entertain the option of it, maybe with the curfew it will be a step too far BUT at least the Masons/Rogers can say they are being slightly proactive which is more than most.

11 minutes ago, adonis said:

I take it this is your attempt at humour , or is it the only excuse you can think of to bring in a ringer ?  the original national league was going from strength to strength , all British riders and most of them with a few seasons in the same colours , until Rye House opened the floodgates to destruction by Signing  Jens Rasmussen , from then on ,Slippery slope 

No not at all i take your another bloke knocking on 70 who s completely clueless about modern society???? I will receive abuse but I'm right in 10 years time most current fans won't be around and you lot are just interested in developing British riders who will never be good enough ..how About getting The Product Right First ......

10 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

The D doesnt exist anymore only in the minds of people unable to move with the times. 

If the points limit was correct at 42.5 like gazzac says we wouldn't need to do look at fudging a foreign rider in but with just 3.00 left the promotion know there is not a british rider left out there that is ready to be anywhere near competitive . 

The league is made up of stand alone teams now apart from b.vue and I  want to see good competitive racing not processions i don't even mind losing if it's been good close racing .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The promotion opted to build in this way and thought they would get away with bringing in a decent but not spectacular non british rider. They were not forced to leave themselves with 3.00 left they chose to with the other signings. If the points limit was higher do you think teams would not use them elsewhere not track new 3 pointers? Of course they would creating a greater gulf between the levels of ability on track.

10 minutes ago, adonis said:

you can take it whatever you like , and it's unlikely that anyone would abuse you . more likely they would have a damn good laugh at your rant and lack of knowledge , I take it your'e new to speedway about 30 and think you know it all , How about filling 2 leagues with expensive foreigners and bringing them to their knees , then having to or 3 teams drop out because they can't afford the foreigners ,only to pollute the lowest division with foreigners that will destroy that as well , surely no elite team would stoop to those depths , Oh wait , just a minute your team happen to be attempting just that !!!

Point proven stick in the mud the reason the sports ruined .it's all foreigners fault isn't it there's no one watching the sport is the reason it's on its knees because it's not been allowed to progress and get with the times like other sports because old fuddy duddys are so out of touch with the modern world it's untrue 

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

... the previous NL promotion never lifted a finger to find new riders...

The previous promotion was only concerned with their impending retirement, and on spending as little money as possible (witness the state of the fixture board in the car park) until Birmingham Speedway's problems became someone else's problems.

On 17/03/2018 at 1:55 PM, GiveusaB said:

So does that mean any national rider that's already developed shouldn't be riding then ?

The National League and the development league are 2 separate leagues ?

It's about entertaining the public imo !

It happens in ALL sports !

On 17/03/2018 at 2:17 PM, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

It's the NL not a development league people need to move with the times and not be stuck in the past to be league's here to entertain us . The reason the sport is in such a mess is because it's run by old men stuck in the past and can't move with the times the sport has just stood still .

The points limit should be 42.5 so most teams don't have 2 useless 3 pointers who end up half a lap behind the opposition main body ...

Paul Bowen ,Ryan McDonald ,dicken to name a few have all got a ride yet bowtell hasn't Tom Perry nearly missed out and many others of far more ability . The difference between most reserves and the main body's is huge .

For example ryan McDonald is in he's 6th season of speedway and he's still on a 3.00 average you telling me that's best for British speedway us all having to watch him been tailed off for another year ???

The NL's full and official name is the "National Development League"

It still is a development league,as proved with the likes of Bewley,Smith,JPB, Brennen,etc,and I'm looking forward to the   development of Edwards,Kemp,Flint and Brooks etc. But by definition a ' league' is surely competitive with 'winners' and 'losers'.Make it  competitive with a 42.5 point limit and it'll be a competitive development league that will attract fans who want to see youngsters progress and watch an exciting meeting. 

• Like 1

Stick with the development league notion, and eventually it will die.

The dead hand of the BSPA is strangling this grassroots speedway bit by bit.

NL promoters should declare UDI.

2 hours ago, SCB said:

The NL's full and official name is the "National Development League"

Full of young whippersnappers like Tony Aiken and Jon Armstrong...young guys with potential to go far in this sport!

• Like 1

The inane rantings on this forum just reinforce my decision to not bother with speedway in this country anymore.....decline and discord contributing to a dying sport here.