British Speedway Forum
Guest GiveusaB

Birmingham 2018

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Great to see Flint having no fear whatsoever and using all the track !

He learned his craft on one of the best racing tracks in Germany (Güstrow) now he's at the best racing track in the NL.

Guest GiveusaB

New no.7 on his way to being announced tonight apparently?

Dan Gilkes ???

7 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

He learned his craft on one of the best racing tracks in Germany (Güstrow) now he's at the best racing track in the NL.

I agree that Flint is an excellent prospect and I hope he does well but to claim that Perry Bar is the best track in the NL :lol:

Guest GiveusaB
12 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I agree that Flint is an excellent prospect and I hope he does well but to claim that Perry Bar is the best track in the NL :lol:

I think its the most fair track, for NL level ! imo

Dan Gilkes was very impressive this afternoon, however we spoke to him in the pits and he isn't committing himself to the sport full time until he has completed his education.

I do hope that David Mason keeps tags on him as he really looked the part.

Arran has great style and speed on the grass. Hope he can transfer it successfully to the shale. Big, big step up though.

Always thought Arran has looked reasonable / average on the grass but his speedway is very different. From any times ive seen him he makes the likes of Dicken look like a world beater. Think any points will be from retirements / falls but he may have upped his game over the winter? Either way he is facing 3 rides and being swapped out of heat 8 consistently. I can only imagine Roberts is struggling on his return from injury as on previous viewings he is far the superior rider.

Guest GiveusaB
35 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Always thought Arran has looked reasonable / average on the grass but his speedway is very different. From any times ive seen him he makes the likes of Dicken look like a world beater. Think any points will be from retirements / falls but he may have upped his game over the winter? Either way he is facing 3 rides and being swapped out of heat 8 consistently. I can only imagine Roberts is struggling on his return from injury as on previous viewings he is far the superior rider.

We haven't got a league match till near end of May at home and near end of June away....so the lad's got a few meetings to see how he gets on !

As for Roberts? he looked like he was taking it steady in practice yesterday? so may be he's not yet ready to start mixing it?

15 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

We haven't got a league match till near end of May at home and near end of June away....so the lad's got a few meetings to see how he gets on !

As for Roberts? he looked like he was taking it steady in practice yesterday? so may be he's not yet ready to start mixing it?

In fairness with the soft side of the National Trophy group you are right. Plenty of matches for him to sharpen up and if he can get a few MDL fixtures in too that will also help his cause. Its a shame that the Trophy has basically become competitive practice but with Cradley select making a mockery of it, it is very hard to view it any other way.

Probably, Arran is a fill-in until Dan Gilkes becomes available in the summer. Judging by the vast breadth of Roberts' backside, he needs to get fit before he is ready for the NL.

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

Probably, Arran is a fill-in until Dan Gilkes becomes available in the summer. Judging by the vast breadth of Roberts' backside, he needs to get fit before he is ready for the NL.

I guess the decision for Gilkes is does he sign up full time for a team once his exams are over and risk getting an average or wait until next year when he can come in at the start on a 3.00? He could "do a Spooner" and remain unattached all season taking whatever bookings he fancies as nobody seems to be bothered on issuing averages to unattached riders.

Guest GiveusaB
53 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I guess the decision for Gilkes is does he sign up full time for a team once his exams are over and risk getting an average or wait until next year when he can come in at the start on a 3.00? He could "do a Spooner" and remain unattached all season taking whatever bookings he fancies as nobody seems to be bothered on issuing averages to unattached riders.

Looks like his Mom and Dad will be making that decision : ) but the bottom line is....'he looks very promising' !

As for Arran Butcher? 

He looks the part and he appears to have some decent machinery, which is a great start.....and he's only 17......

As 'JJ' said....Roberts looked a tad overweight, but it was pointed out to me that he wears an 'air' suit, so may be 'JJ's' being a little harsh : )