British Speedway Forum
Guest GiveusaB

Birmingham 2018

Birmingham to meet Peterborough in an Inter-League Challenge on 12th Sept:

I wasn't surprised when David announced the challenge match with Peterborough, they will obviously decide what the future holds based on the attendance and interest that night. David was very tight lipped about next season he obviously couldn't say anything.

It will be a good night for sure, we had some good meetings with them back in the EL days. Im pleased that we are seeing Chris Harris back after he rode for us in 2013/14, Jason Garrity is such an entertainer and Rory Schein is a rider that has always ridden well here and obviously a great number 1 in the Championship. Peterborough are bringing their full side so hopefully we can give them a good meeting and there's a good crowd. Just wish there was a second leg at the EOES because I love that track.

Good to see from Birmingham but really not sure where the riders will come from if leagues stay as they are next season and no teams drop out.

Forgot to add the meeting is a six man team format and Bacon riding for Peterborough as hes their asset.

Guest GiveusaB
21 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I'd guess Peterborough...with the 'Tom Bacon' connection ?

Called it !

Smug as ....... LOL

Sounds great.....there'll be some great racing to end the season on a high and with optimism........regardless of the play off result !

Really hope the 'fans' turn out in force for this one.....Peter/David Mason deserve a lot of credit for their efforts this season and for their 'future' vision....

I'm sure it can only happen if we 'ALL' get behind the promotion !

Fingers crossed !

Edited by GiveusaB

10 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

great idea great meeting rubbish format will confuse the kids and the newbies poor choice.

Does seem a strange choice of format if you're seriously going to use it as a guide to see if crowds would support a higher league racing.

You're not comparing like with like as you've already lost those who say  "It's a mickey mouse 6-man format.  I'm not going to that!"

Guest GiveusaB
6 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Yes, but we did already know, didn't we?

Sorry....just realised that you said Peterborough too ? dohhhhhh......long day : )

Edited by GiveusaB

Guest GiveusaB
10 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Does seem a strange choice of format if you're seriously going to use it as a guide to see if crowds would support a higher league racing.

You're not comparing like with like as you've already lost those who say  "It's a mickey mouse 6-man format.  I'm not going to that!"

How do 'we' know that's not going to be the format next season ?

13 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Hasnt there beem talk that the BSPA are exploring the idea of six man teams. We all know the problems with doubling up and the lack of riders.

I reckon they want to stage a 'test' meeting to see how it goes, and because we dont have a meeting from Aug 29th to the end of september we have volunteered to be the guinea pigs. 

32 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

It's not the format this season.

If we want to be able to make a comparison between the NL attendances and what a hypothetical CL attendance would be, then surely we've got to use the same conditions as far as is possible.

Guest GiveusaB
17 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

It's not the format this season.

If we want to be able to make a comparison between the NL attendances and what a hypothetical CL attendance would be, then surely we've got to use the same conditions as far as is possible.

I can't see what difference it makes at all ???

This meeting is a one off ... I'm guessing the owners are wanting as many 'neutral'/'local' speedway fans to attend as possible, regardless of our future direction?

A one off challenge match is not going to bring back 'past' Birmingham supporters.....we have to look at attracting 'new' supporters....once you lose the habit of going to a regular speedway meeting, it's very difficult to be enticed back these days! imo......

Edited by GiveusaB

Since there is a chronic shortage of capable riders in UK ( and in fact World-wide), we should not try to stop ANY rider who has a

legitimate British Passport from riding in the "Training area" of the National League.  If he has lived in this country for many years,

and has no intention of returning to Poland, we should regard him as British.  That is the law of the land.  I do not see a problem.

Good Luck to Birmingham if they sign him.

• Like 2