British Speedway Forum
Guest GiveusaB

Birmingham 2018

Must be a hard choice to make...

Either:  taking the chance that crowds will improve in the Championship to make it worthwhile, but being scared off by the example of Glasgow, who are losing hundreds of thousands every year,

Or:  Staying in the NL, with the prospect of:
a) the older fans with no alternative social life, who have been the mainstay of support in past years, getting older and dying off thereby seeing crowd numbers falling through natural causes
b) the fans with alternatives in front of them and not being impressed with the NL chosing to do other things thereby seeing the crowd numbers falling for other reasons too.

Tune in next month to see what happens.

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Must be a hard choice to make...

Either:  taking the chance that crowds will improve in the Championship to make it worthwhile, but being scared off by the example of Glasgow, who are losing hundreds of thousands every year,

Or:  Staying in the NL, with the prospect of:
a) the older fans with no alternative social life, who have been the mainstay of support in past years, getting older and dying off thereby seeing crowd numbers falling through natural causes
b) the fans with alternatives in front of them and not being impressed with the NL chosing to do other things thereby seeing the crowd numbers falling for other reasons too.

Tune in next month to see what happens.

Always looking on the bright side of life eh ? LOL

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Always looking on the bright side of life eh ? LOL

The bright side ... in this sport...???  

The bright side must be in that hole in the sand that so many fans have their heads buried in.

I an not a Brum supporter, but have speedway "connections" indirectly shall we say. I was talking with a person who is "in the know" tonight, and his opinion is that the lack of any communication is not good news for Brum , and he  feels that its looking like they have had a change of mind, and are now possibly staying put.

I hope for you guys you find out soon, even if its not good news, at least you will then know.  Good Luck Guys ! 

Edited by A.N.Other

I find it hard to believe that costs at Championship level would be such a surprise to the promotion at this late stage

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I find it hard to believe that costs at Championship level would be such a surprise to the promotion at this late stage

unless they started negotiating and realised that with a lower limit next season a certain calibre of rider can now demand so much more

David Mason is still new to the promoters position.  Cannot blame them for being cautious.  I think I would stay in the NL for another year or two and try to develop  the club to prepare them for an upward movement.  Eastbourne have had stability for the last  four years under Martin and Connor which has made a difference and they look ready to go up.  Give the Masons a couple of years more and all the support you can  muster and above all make it a happy club. It seemed to me that there was a lot of animosity between supporters and management prior to the Masons arrival .

With sensible agreed points money For all three divisions & then strictly adhered to of course, all teams will know their outgoings - riders would know their earning potential & all things would be a lot more transparent in Speedway (La La) Land!  

• Like 2

If the Masons have a survival plan they'll stay put, all leagues are still funding 7 riders and 90+ points a home meeting and until that is addressed a reduction in points limit will only take the top two leagues back a year or two. The hemorrhaging will continue and next Winter will see more clubs wanting to be in the NL as the top two leagues will look at merging again forcing the weakest to look at the lower level to survive.

I cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't take 1 rider out of each team and 12 points out of each meeting in the top two leagues. Less meetings still makes for losses and in my opinion is not as sustainable as 6 man teams and 13 heats, sporadic fixtures will lead to sporadic attendances unless the fixture lists are cast in stone with no opportunities to move or postpone apart from the referees decisions. So no sun offs, electrical faults on the morning of race day, no flooded tracks or "beyond our control" cancellations particularly as riders stuck in airport lounges tend to Tweet the world to declare their predicament.

If we stay put, I fear that we'll lose more supporters and the current NL package will be very difficult to bring in new blood ?

I completely understand that the Masons could be reluctant to gamble where costs are concerned.

Well with their latest social media post they have to be announcing moving up tomorrow surely, you wouldn't post that if you were staying put, would you?.......

15 minutes ago, CUFC_Brummie said:

Well with their latest social media post they have to be announcing moving up tomorrow surely, you wouldn't post that if you were staying put, would you?.......

I wouldnt have thought so but nothing would surprise me given the past few weeks! We should know for certain in the next 24 hours.

I think of all the National League teams the step up to 2nd is less risky to Brum. I think they are more set up for the step up then Eastbourne(who I think will step up comfortably as well).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I think of all the National League teams the step up to 2nd is less risky to Brum. I think they are more set up for the step up then Eastbourne(who I think will step up comfortably as well).

Completely agree !

So....3pm today is the BIG announcement ?

Championship here we come : ))))))))))))))))))))))

Tom Bacon as our first signing???

Edited by GiveusaB