British Speedway Forum
Guest GiveusaB

Birmingham 2018

Poor post that. 

Naming two riders out of seventy really show how wide of the point you’re trying to make. 

Imo each team needs a member such as this to aid the youngsters in their, er development 

Sick of listening to idiots (young and old) ranting and hijacking this thread. Here are some facts. Birmingham are being vilified (by some) for trying to use the rules in their favour. (Well DUH!) when no-one REALLY knows which rider they have been trying to sign, its all supposition. Even if it is the rider in question it would appear that they have only tried to stay within the rules. Something that many other sports would recognise. (Cricket and Rugby spring to mind.)

Birmingham have been vilified for not bringing youngsters on. Well, I could of course point out that recently we had the youngest team in the league and (possibly) of all time. But that was under previous management so does not point to what the current management are doing. The current management have joined the MDL to bring on juniors and have stated that is a big aim of theirs. This despite the severe restrictions placed upon Birmingham via the planning permision. This should be applauded.

But here is the crux of the matter for me. Why should any team in the NL (with the exception of Belle Vue) spend money and time and effort on developing ANY rider when they are not allowed to profit from such investment. Until the NL is allowed to gain assetts via such investment then they have NO incentive to develop any rider. Why spend that money and then let the boys from the higher leagues just step in and gain an assett without having developed that rider. Its wrong and does not help supporters to become emotionally attached to their team. The incentive is to sign Riders that have all ready developed and shown form at this level.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, guitar_art said:

But here is the crux of the matter for me. Why should any team in the NL (with the exception of Belle Vue) spend money and time and effort on developing ANY rider when they are not allowed to profit from such investment. Until the NL is allowed to gain assetts via such investment then they have NO incentive to develop any rider. Why spend that money and then let the boys from the higher leagues just step in and gain an assett without having developed that rider. Its wrong and does not help supporters to become emotionally attached to their team. The incentive is to sign Riders that have all ready developed and shown form at this level.

That is a very valid point, guitar_art. There are not sufficient resources in this country for three leagues and perhaps the time has come for the National League to go it's own way and stop being a punch bag for the upper leagues who suck up all the money and assets.

Guest GiveusaB
On 17/03/2018 at 3:54 PM, guitar_art said:

We have had supporters on before and happy to do so again. How about you Give us a B?

As for a competition. You really need to stop reading my mind! Watch this space.

Hey, G-A I'll have to check with my agent ? LOL

There's something quite ironic about your invitation, which I'm happy to reveal through a 'personal' message ? : ) 'nothing flattering' btw (purely ironic)

Guest GiveusaB

The Masons should be applauded for firstly saving speedway in the city of Birmingham and then to go on and try to assemble a competitive team (within the rules) ... unlike some clubs that make the rules up to suit, as and when ?

And, they  don't stop there? they implement a 'DEVELOPMENT' team, to try and help out the future of a diminishing sport in the UK.

A sport that we all love (I think?)

IMO.....people should look at the bigger picture.

The politics of this sport lie firmly at the feet of the 'useless' coffin dodgers at the BSPA!

14 hours ago, ouch said:

...Naming two riders ...

Would naming virtually the entire Stoke Potters 2017 team plus the assorted old crocs scattered around the rest of the league have been necessary to prove the point? 

I've said before, my opinion is that the NL/NDL should be for kids with potential, and if the old-timers want to have a Seniors Circus, then let them have one, like they do in tennis and golf. By all means bring the senior riders in as coaches at NL/NDL but don't let they take up team places at the expense of kids, that's completely against the "development" ethos, to my way of thinking.

Guest GiveusaB
19 hours ago, SCB said:

The NL's full and official name is the "National Development League"

The OFFICIAL British Speedway website doesn't mention the word 'development' after National League ?

Development is only mentioned alongside 'Junior Leagues' ?

Guest GiveusaB
13 minutes ago, CUFC_Brummie said:

Thank you CUFC......

However, if I was new to speedway and I wanted to watch a 'National' League meeting, I'd wonder how on earth some of the National League riders were classed as 'development' riders ?

Let's be honest and face up to the fact that the National League is third tier speedway and not an Official development league!

Everybody with half a brain can see that?

Hope the weather improves so we can all get out, it's  been a long winter  :unsure: ...

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Thank you CUFC......

However, if I was new to speedway and I wanted to watch a 'National' League meeting, I'd wonder how on earth some of the National League riders were classed as 'development' riders ?

Let's be honest and face up to the fact that the National League is third tier speedway and not an Official development league!

Everybody with half a brain can see that?

Its certainly not help by the jumps between the leagues and that the Brum third tier number 1 for example is also riding in the top division. 

There is certainly the argument that both the lower 2 tier of speedway are development leagues as surely the aim is to reach the top level and therefore develop as a rider in each?

It could also be said that the majority of riders new to league racing enter through the National League so should it be named the National Entry League?

The league serves many purposes as entry & early career development for riders along with being a standalone entertainment business for many clubs also. The true juggling act is ensuring both sides prosper as focusing solely on either will see the venture fail.

52 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

The OFFICIAL British Speedway website doesn't mention the word 'development' after National League ?

Development is only mentioned alongside 'Junior Leagues' ?

"National Development League" appears 19 times in the regs, and "NDL" 38 times.

The sport is run under the SCB Regulations not the SGB website.

On 3/18/2018 at 12:31 PM, adonis said:

nor is it my fault your local rivals Cradley can afford to build winning teams within the existing rules  

Oh, the irony....

Have you watched any speedway at all since the start of 2015?

Shocked to hear of JPB's retirement from the sport. He seemed to be a rider with heaps of talent and one of the promising youngsters with a big future ahead of him.

Wish him all the best for the future in whatever line he chooses to pursue.

Also, it seems the fans who gave David Mason stick for signing Mitchel Davey and Tom Bacon instead of JPB now owe him an apology. Appears, as surmised by some, the Brummies management were perhaps aware of something many of us weren't. The new season would have got off to a bad start if we had been hit with the last minute withdrawal of Jack, especially following the calamity last year with the Ritchings and Hay retirements.

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

Plenty of time for JPB to make a comeback when he's ready!

One can only think that he hasn't got the sponsorship that he merits....in order for him to support a young family? 

His machinery came in to question on numerous occasions last season.....