British Speedway Forum
Guest GiveusaB

Birmingham 2018

So if the NL points limit is set at say 34, I can’t see The Brummies retaining enough supporter interest so maybe a step up to the Championship is the right move.

7 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Yes it would dont be a bitter silly cradley fan 

I raised a genuine point, so you think it would be worthwhile to run 6 home League meetings?, as for being bitter seems you are the one with Bitterness,  with regards your Brian Buck comments they prove who is the stupid one on here..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argos said:

What ever happens at Birmingham, It’s been. PR Disaster. 

…….and don't you just love it...every post you put on a Birmingham thread is negative 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brummiestormer said:

…….and don't you just love it...every post you put on a Birmingham thread is negative 

So you Don’t think it’s a PR Disaster 

Not for Birmingham it hasn't, they aren't the ones who announced they were moving up, that was the BSPA jumping the gun and they've had to rebuke it.

Clearly they want to see what the make up of the NL is going to be before making that decision. But I sincerely hope we move up, without knowing the ins and outs of the finances, which is obviously the key, I feel like we have enough of a fan base to make the PL work, and it feels like it's time. We were shafted out of the EL because of a dodgy owner, rather than because it couldn't work if run effectively.

All clubs should strive to go higher, and even more so one like us in a city like Birmingham. It's the right time for PL, I'd fear for our future more if we stay here, as much as the league has done good for us on our reformation.

Edited by CUFC_Brummie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CUFC_Brummie said:

Not for Birmingham it hasn't, they aren't the ones who announced they were moving up, that was the BSPA jumping the gun and they've had to rebuke it.

Clearly they want to see what the make up of the NL is going to be before making that decision. But I sincerely hope we move up, without knowing the ins and outs of the finances, which is obviously the key, I feel like we have enough of a fan base to make the PL work, and it feels like it's time. We were shafted out of the EL because of a dodgy owner, rather than because it couldn't work if run effectively.

All clubs should strive to go higher, and even more so one like us in a city like Birmingham. It's the right time for PL, I'd fear for our future more if we stay here, as much as the league has done good for us on our reformation.

From what ive seen/read the two clubs have been invited to join the Championship & quite rightly both are taking their time to decide (while the bspa assumed the invitation would be immediately accepted) .  At some stage all businesses need to decide if they want to risk being higher in the market place or remain with the solid dependable customer base they have. 

Id be happy for Brum either way as long they remain afloat and the numbers add up. A lower standard Championship is hard to charge much more admission for, a lower standard NL would almost certainly need a reduction in costs....either way its squeaky time for the Mason's

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

From what ive seen/read the two clubs have been invited to join the Championship & quite rightly both are taking their time to decide (while the bspa assumed the invitation would be immediately accepted) ....

Catch up...Eastbourne published a press release to say that they accepted a few days ago. It's Birmingham (&/or A.N. Other, now) who are taking their time. And the more it closes in on the NL AGM, the more likely it is that the Brummies will be in the NL again next year.

I wonder what the BSPA's contingency plans are if only one team elevates from the NL to the Championship?

You're right about the BSPA (or rather the train-fare-dodger-in-chief chairman of the BSPA) totally mis-managing the announcement, but hey, it's the BSPA, what else do you expect from him / them?

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Catch up...Eastbourne published a press release to say that they accepted a few days ago. It's Birmingham (&/or A.N. Other, now) who are taking their time. And the more it closes in on the NL AGM, the more likely it is that the Brummies will be in the NL again next year.

I wonder what the BSPA's contingency plans are if only one team elevates from the NL to the Championship?

You're right about the BSPA (or rather the train-fare-dodger-in-chief chairman of the BSPA) totally mis-managing the announcement, but hey, it's the BSPA, what else do you expect from him / them?

Just the same as this is what others usually expect from you. Negative crap.

• Like 2

Surely Birmingham have been deliberating whether to move up or not since the inter-league challenge with Peterborough ???

As for it being a PR disaster? I don't think it is, purely from the point that it's got people talking/debating ???

However, now that the seed's been planted, I do think that it will be a massive morale de-flater if we don't take the bull by the horns and step up a tier ?

Personally, I don't want to amble along in the NL, I'd rather gamble, even if it compromises the future of B'ham Speedway ! (speedway future as a whole is in jeopardy imo..)

(admittedly, it's not my money being thrown in....I respect the 'Masons' and believe they've done a cracking job so far)

Another season in the NL doesn't hold any weight for me.....I would only attend out of habit and not enthusiasm!

• Like 1

Birmingham need to tread carefully and get the business side sorted - something I imagine the Masons are quite used to in their working (non-speedway) lives.This all takes time.

Eastbourne seem to have the benefit of Jon Cook who has enormous knowledge of the sport, the club, the riders at CL level which clearly gives them a headstart. Eastbourne are talking about a 3-5 year plan.

Give Peter and David Mason space to get it right. 

Supporters can claim "it's our club" but the Masons (along with other promoters) can rightly say "it's our business".

Edited by Richard Weston
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

.I would only attend out of habit and not enthusiasm!

Hope you get your wish.......I quoted last sentence as for my thinking it sums up almost exactly why the majority of fans attend speedway nowadays.

Agree with the most comments above .

It cant be a PR disaster on our (the clubs) behalf as nothing has been said  or done in order to make a disaster as far as i am aware from the club. 

As said above by many it was the seed that was planted that had left us somewhat deflated and to pick up the enthusiasm for another season in the NL and most likely the poorest one by far in our time in the this league is going to be difficult and tbh take some doing . I mean first signing Kent a 47 year old man on a 3.5 average who will end on a 7-8.00 average i just dont think i can be bothered anymore i have even noticed on twitter a few riders commenting that its utterly ridiculous but there you go ... 

I can understand the Birmingham promotion keeping all options open after expressing a keen interest in moving up but then being told that they couldn't attend the AGM by the BSPA.

Your not going to move up when you don't know how the points limit will impact their business. So they have to wait until after the NL AGM before making a decision. I have every faith in the Masons doing what's right for the club, in the same way that Somerset have. If it's not viable, they wont move.

• Like 2

So, now we know that the NL is being down graded to a slightly better version of the MDL, can we have an announcement of our elevation to the Championship please ?